This cucumber tomato salad recipe is bursting with summer flavor, but it's easy to make. The fresh veggies and zingy dressing do the work for you!
When I opened our CSA box last week and found jumbles of multicolored cherry tomatoes inside, I knew I had to make this cucumber tomato salad. Sometimes, I plan recipes months ahead of time. Green bean casserole for Thanksgiving, deviled eggs for Easter. But this cucumber tomato salad recipe was something I couldn’t plan in advance. It rose out of those particular tomatoes and my particular craving for a flavorful summer salad that would show them off at their best.
Since then, this cucumber tomato salad recipe has become a favorite in our house. Made with halloumi cheese and grilled croutons, it’s like a cross between a classic Greek salad and panzanella. The grilled bread offers a rich, smoky contrast to the fresh cucumbers and tomatoes, and cubes of halloumi add pops of salty flavor. I first made it because it’s exactly the type of thing I like to eat at this time of year, and I’m sharing it today hoping that it’s what you’re craving too.
Cucumber Tomato Salad Recipe Ingredients
One of the things I love most about this cucumber tomato salad is how easy it is to make. It’s packed with complex flavors and textures, but simple ingredients are doing the hard work for you. Here’s what’s in it:
- Cherry tomatoes – Make this salad with the best cherry tomatoes you can find! It’s especially good with lots of shapes, colors, and sizes, so look for a mix of varieties at your farmers market or grocery store.
- Persian cucumbers – I love using little Persian cucumbers in this recipe. Sliced into rounds, they’re a similar size to the cherry tomatoes, so it’s easy to get both in one bite. If you can’t find them, substitute half an English cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced into half-moons.
- Red onion – Slice them as thinly as possible so that they soften and mingle with the other ingredients. I like to do this with a mandoline slicer, but a sharp knife will do the job too.
- Halloumi cheese – Did you know that you can grill halloumi? Yep! This Greek sheep and goat cheese holds up perfectly on the grill. I chop it into cubes and toss it into the salad for rich, salty, smoky flavor.
- Croutons – Always, always make your own! As long as you have good crusty bread, olive oil, and salt on hand, it’s surprisingly easy to do.
- Basil – You can never go wrong with fresh basil in a tomato salad, right?
- Greek salad dressing – To tie everything together! My easy recipe is a rich, tangy blend of olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Cucumber Tomato Salad Serving Suggestions
I love to eat this cucumber tomato salad on its own for lunch. Thanks to the hearty halloumi and croutons, it easily keeps me full till dinnertime. However, it’s also a wonderful summer side dish. Serve it with stuffed zucchini or stuffed peppers, classic cookout fare like veggie burgers or black bean burgers, homemade pizza, or any of these summer pasta recipes:
- Easy Pesto Pasta
- Spaghetti Aglio E Olio
- Linguine with Lemon and Tomatoes
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta
- Best Vegetarian Lasagna
More Favorite Summer Salads
If you love this cucumber tomato onion salad, try one of these light and refreshing summer salads next:
- Classic Caprese Salad
- Cucumber Salad
- Cherry Tomato Couscous Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Easy Pasta Salad
- Or any of these 37 Best Salad Recipes!
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 2 Persian cucumbers
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 6 to 8 ounces halloumi cheese
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Scant ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- Homemade Croutons (grilled option), from 2 large slices of bread
- Greek Salad Dressing
- ⅓ cup fresh basil
- Flaky sea salt, optional
- Thinly slice the cucumbers, halve the tomatoes, and set aside.
- Slice the halloumi into ½-inch thick planks. Rub both sides with olive oil and grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, until well-charred. Remove from the grill and slice the planks into cubes.
- Assemble the salad with the sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, halloumi, red onions, and croutons. Drizzle with the dressing and top with fresh basil. Season to taste with flaky sea salt, if desired.
This is a fabulous salad! The Halloumi Cheese is new to me, but found it and what a game changer for something different. I simply sauteed the cheese on my stovetop rather than opening up grill just for the cheese. Worked great!
Can I buy your recepe book ang how much ?
There’s some more info with links on this page: https://www.loveandlemons.com/cookbook/
I never get sick of eating this dish!
a perfect summer salad, love these ingredients, thank you!
I am tasting summer just looking at these photos.
This looks and sounds delicious! I love grilled halloumi, and I can’t wait to make this recipe.