Happy Monday, it’s pasta time! This is a spin on a recipe that has been a reader favorite (also one of my favorites) from our cookbook. In the book, this creamy miso pasta is made with brussels sprouts – have you tried it? If so, you’re going to love this version with shiitake mushrooms and kale. If you haven’t tried it, well now’s your chance 🙂
The cashew cream has just 5 ingredients: cashews, miso paste, garlic, lemon, and black pepper. It’s so simple to make, yet it’s so hearty and delicious – especially with sautéed shiitake mushrooms. Shiitakes have such a wonderful umami flavor – I just love them here with this bright lemon-y sauce. There’s also some kale in here for good measure.
I used brown rice fusilli, but any short pasta cut (spirals, shells, etc) will work great in here to soak up the sauce.
- 8 ounces fusilli pasta (I used brown rice fusilli)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces destemmed and sliced shiitake mushrooms
- ⅓ cup chopped scallions
- juice of ½ a small lemon, more to taste
- 5 to 6 kale leaves, sliced
- pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- shaved macadamia nut and/or parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked at least 4 hours or overnight*
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper
- Make the miso cashew lemon cream sauce by blending together the cashews, water, miso paste, garlic, lemon juice and pinches of pepper in a high-speed blender until creamy. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions, or until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the starchy pasta water before draining the pasta.
- While your pasta cooks, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shiitake mushrooms and sauté, stirring only occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the scallions and continue to cook another few minutes until the mushrooms are tender and browned. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, stir, and then add the kale. Cook until the kale is slightly wilted, add another squeeze of lemon juice, and stir. Add the pasta, toss again and drizzle with ½ the cream sauce. Season to taste with more salt, pepper and remaining cream sauce, as desired. If your sauce is too clumpy, stir in the reserved pasta water, as needed to create a creamy consistency.
- Serve hot garnished with shaved macadamia nuts, parmesan cheese and a pinch of red pepper flakes, if desired.