A healthy but delicious creamy tomato basil soup, made vegan with coconut milk & thickened with pine nuts. Gluten free. A simple recipe for winter dinners.
This might be my favorite thing I’ve made on this site so far. I know, that’s such a big statement since I usually feel that choosing a favorite recipe is like choosing a favorite child (or in our case, dog). But I have an un-dying love for sun dried tomatoes… not to mention basil, coconut, wine, pine nuts, & balsamic.
So what happens when you put 6 of your favorite things all together? In this case, you get a warm & creamy – yet tangy – bowl of deliciousness. Just be happy that I left chocolate out of this mix.
Vegan Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Soup
- A few tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- ½ cup white wine
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup coconut milk (I used full fat), plus more if needed at the end
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes (from a jar, packed in oil)
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Red pepper flakes
- Handful of coarsely chopped fresh basil, plus extra for garnish
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (or to taste)
- 1-2 teaspoons or so maple syrup or a pinch of sugar (optional, to taste)
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts (optional, but adds a nice richness)
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and some salt & pepper and cook until the shallots are translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the wine, stir, and let the wine cook out for another few minutes. Add the broth, coconut milk, and sun dried tomatoes and a pinch of dried oregano and red pepper flakes. Stir, then reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes or so.
- Remove from heat, add a handful of basil and blend the soup until smooth, ideally in a Vitamix or similar.
- Taste and add the balsamic, maple syrup or sugar, and pine nuts, if using. Give the blender just a few pulses. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with an extra swirl of coconut milk, some chopped basil, and a few red pepper flakes on top.