This savory cream of mushroom soup tastes decadent, but it's secretly healthy. Nut and dairy-free, it gets its creamy texture from cauliflower!
Before I met Jack, I associated cream of mushroom soup with green bean casserole. I thought of it as an ingredient, not a dish on its own, and mushrooms themselves weren’t something I really sought out. But Jack may be the world’s #1 mushroom lover, and as I tried the mushroom pastas and sandwiches he loved, I discovered how delicious mushrooms could be. Prepared the right way, they become rich and savory, with an intense umami flavor.
Now, I’m a total mushroom convert, and this homemade cream of mushroom soup is one of our favorite dishes to share on winter nights. It’s far too good to hide inside any casserole, so make a batch to enjoy on its own! If you have any extras, freeze them for later, but fair warning: this soup disappears pretty quickly in our house.
The Best Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
My cream of mushroom soup recipe is rich, creamy, and deeply savory, but it doesn’t call for you to stir in cream or melt butter. In fact, this soup is completely vegan – you won’t find any butter, heavy cream, or chicken broth here. Instead, it gets its luscious creamy texture from blended cauliflower!
And as far as flavor goes, you won’t miss the cream or butter at all. Aromatics like leeks, celery, garlic, and thyme create the savory base of the soup. A full pound of fresh mushrooms loads it with umami flavor, and tamari, Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, and a generous splash of white wine make it deliciously tangy.
Sauté the aromatic veggies and mushrooms, add the cauliflower and vegetable stock, and simmer until everything’s tender. Then, blend the soup with the Dijon and balsamic, and enjoy this yummy, all-veggie cream of mushroom soup.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Serving Suggestions
If you want to take this cream of mushroom soup over the top, don’t skip the garnishes! Crunchy toppings like homemade croutons, roasted or sautéed mushrooms, and toasted pine nuts offer a delectable contrast to its smooth, luscious texture. I also like to add a sprinkle of herbs or microgreens for something fresh and a drizzle of coconut milk or olive oil for extra richness.
Serve your cream of mushrooms soup with homemade focaccia or good crusty bread, and dig in!
More Favorite Soup Recipes
If you love this cream of mushroom soup recipe, try one of these favorite soups next:
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Best Lentil Soup
- Carrot Ginger Soup
- Many-Veggie Vegetable Soup
- Asparagus Soup
- Ginger Miso Soup
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Or check out this post for my 22 Best Soup Recipes!
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts (2 cups, sliced)
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound cauliflower, broken into florets (5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Drizzle of coconut milk
- Crusty bread, toasted as croutons or served on the side
- Additional mushrooms, sautéed
- Toasted pine nuts
- Microgreens or tender thyme leaves
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks, celery, ¼ teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, 8 to 10 more minutes.
- Add the tamari, wine, garlic, thyme, and stir, cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until the wine has evaporated. Add the broth and cauliflower.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is very soft. Transfer to a blender, add the mustard, vinegar, and blend until smooth. Season to taste and serve with desired garnishes.