This homemade coleslaw dressing recipe will take any coleslaw to a whole new level! Made with just 5 ingredients, it's creamy, tangy, and delicious.
Once you learn how to make coleslaw dressing at home, you’ll never buy it at the store again! Here’s why:
- It’s super easy. This creamy coleslaw dressing recipe calls for 5 basic ingredients, and it only takes a few minutes to whisk together.
- It’s made with good-quality whole foods ingredients. When you make homemade coleslaw dressing, you know exactly what’s in it. There aren’t any additives or stabilizers here, and it’s sweetened naturally with maple syrup instead of processed sugar.
- And last but not least, it’s delicious! This creamy, tangy dressing makes fantastic coleslaw, but it’s darn good on other salads too. Toss it with lettuce, baby greens, or kale, or use it to make broccoli salad. Once you have it on hand, you’ll find all sorts of ways to use it.
If you like coleslaw, you’ll love this easy dressing recipe. Let’s cook!
Coleslaw Dressing Recipe Ingredients
You only need 5 simple ingredients to make this homemade coleslaw dressing:
- Mayo – For the best flavor, use really good mayonnaise in this recipe. If I’m using store bought mayo, my first pick is Sir Kensington’s. My homemade vegan mayo is great here too!
- Apple cider vinegar – It makes the dressing nice and tangy.
- Dijon mustard – It adds extra tang and a mild peppery flavor.
- Maple syrup – It balances the assertive vinegar and mustard.
- Celery seed – If you’ve made my egg salad, deviled eggs, or creamy potato salad, you know that celery seed, mayo, and mustard taste fantastic together. These little guys add a delicious savory flavor that takes this dressing over the top.
Whisk these ingredients together, and season to taste with salt and pepper!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Use Homemade Coleslaw Dressing
I most often use this coleslaw dressing in my homemade coleslaw recipe, but it works well with pre-shredded coleslaw mix too. Whether you shred the veggies yourself or use a mix, aim to have about 8 cups of shredded cabbage and carrot. That way, you’ll have enough dressing to lightly coat all the vegetables.
Once you toss the the dressing with the slaw mix, it’s time to eat! I love to serve my homemade coleslaw as a side dish with these classic cookout recipes:
- Best Veggie Burger
- Portobello Mushroom Burger
- Quinoa Burger
- Vegan BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Crispy Cauliflower Po’ Boy Sandwiches
If you have leftover dressing, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. It tastes great with any type of greens, but I especially love it in my kale salad recipe!
More Favorite Sauces and Dressings
If you love this coleslaw dressing recipe, try one of these delicious dressings next:
- Homemade Caesar Dressing
- Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Green Goddess Dressing
- Greek Salad Dressing
- Lemon Vinaigrette
- Classic Basil Pesto or Vegan Pesto
- Tahini Sauce (4 ways!)
- Scant 3/4 cup mayo or Vegan Mayo
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¾ teaspoon celery seeds
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, apple cider vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, celery seeds, salt, and several grinds of fresh pepper.
- Serve with about 8 cups cabbage coleslaw mix.