Learn how to make a coffee smoothie to kickstart your morning! Made with banana, almond butter, and more, it's a delicious healthy breakfast or snack.
This coffee smoothie recipe is perfect for busy mornings. You know those days when you have time to make a cup of coffee or a healthy breakfast…but not both? Now you don’t have to choose! Blend up this coffee smoothie, and you can enjoy coffee + breakfast in a single glass.
I love this one-and-done morning treat. Made with simple ingredients like coffee, frozen banana, almond butter, and dates, it’s super easy to put together, and it’s so delicious. The banana and almond butter give it an amazing creamy texture, and the dates make it rich and sweet. And of course, the coffee adds wonderful flavor too…not to mention a kick of caffeine!
How to Make a Coffee Smoothie
This coffee smoothie recipe is so easy to make! To start, gather these ingredients:
- Brewed coffee – I like to make this recipe with cold brew concentrate because I always have it on hand. Both store-bought and homemade cold brew work well. Feel free to use other brewed coffee if you prefer. Just make sure it’s cold or at room temp—not hot!—when you make the smoothie.
- Frozen bananas – They make the smoothie thick and creamy.
- Almond milk – To get the blender moving. Another plant-based milk, such as oat milk, would be great here too!
- Almond butter – It enhances the creamy texture and adds protein and healthy fats.
- Medjool dates – They give the smoothie a rich, caramel-like sweetness, plus nutrients like fiber and potassium.
- Vanilla extract and cinnamon – For warm depth of flavor.
- And ice – It perfects the smoothie’s frosty texture.
Blend the smoothie. Add the brewed coffee, frozen bananas, almond milk, almond butter, pitted dates, vanilla, and cinnamon to a blender, and blend until smooth, adding more almond milk as needed to blend.
Then, taste. If you’d like the smoothie to have a stronger coffee flavor, add more coffee to taste. When you’re happy with the flavor, blend in a couple handfuls of ice to make the smoothie thick and frosty.
Tip: Garnish this smoothie with a dusting of cinnamon and dark chocolate shavings for an extra-fun treat. Enjoy!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Customize Your Coffee Smoothie
Here are a few variations I love:
- Make a mocha twist. Add a tablespoon of cocoa powder for chocolatey flavor.
- Give it a protein boost. Blend in a scoop of your favorite protein powder.
- Add omega-3s. Blitz in a tablespoon of chia seeds or hemp seeds.
- Sneak in a veggie. Frozen cauliflower or zucchini would be great here. You won’t be able to taste either, I swear!
- Use another nut butter. Peanut butter and cashew butter are delicious!
- Cut the caffeine. Sub decaf coffee for regular.
Tips for Making Smoothies
Whether you try this coffee smoothie recipe or make another smoothie on Love & Lemons, these tips will set you up for success:
- Use frozen produce. Frozen fruits and veggies give smoothies a creamy, frosty texture, whereas fresh produce makes smoothies thinner and more watery. Buy frozen produce to use in smoothies, or freeze any fresh produce at least a day in advance.
- Add more liquid as needed. I like my smoothies to be really thick (I often eat them with a spoon!), and I make them in a high-speed blender. If you’re using a less powerful blender, or if you prefer a thinner texture, you’ll likely need to use more liquid than I call for in the recipe. Don’t hesitate to add almond milk as needed to reach your desired consistency.
- Start without ice. Thanks to the frozen fruit, you might not need it! Instead of adding ice to the blender right away, blend the other smoothie ingredients together first. Then, if necessary, add ice to make the smoothie frostier.
- Taste and adjust. Making a smoothie is like making any other recipe—always taste and adjust before serving! Add more of any of the ingredients in the recipe to tweak the balance of flavors to your liking, or, if you want a sweeter smoothie, pour in a little honey or maple syrup.
More Favorite Smoothie Recipes
If you love this coffee banana smoothie, try one of these healthy smoothie recipes next:
- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- Zucchini Smoothie
- Mango Smoothie
- Blueberry Smoothie
- Avocado Smoothie
- Kale Smoothie
- Green Smoothie
- In a blender, place the bananas, cold brew concentrate, almond milk, dates, almond butter, vanilla, and cinnamon. Blend until smooth, adding more almond milk as needed to blend. Add the ice and blend again.
- Pour into glasses and serve with a dusting of cinnamon and chocolate shavings for garnish.