I love to start my day with these bright mango coconut muffins! They're 100% vegan and have fresh flavor from lime, mango chunks & coconut flakes.
Muffins have such a special place in my heart. Growing up, my family ate muffins for breakfast nearly every day, and it was awesome. My sister and I would *think* we wanted the colorful cereals that the other kids had. We’d beg my mom to buy them and when she would, they’d end up going stale on the top shelf in the pantry. Nothing beat a warm muffin and a big glass of milk first thing in the morning. Of course, I’ve since nixed the milk part, but my love for muffins continues.
These mango and coconut muffins are my new favorite morning treat.
Coconut Muffins Ingredients
Now, these are not your giant bakery muffins, huge and over the top. Instead, they’re lightly sweet, small, everyday sort of muffins. Here’s what you’ll need to make them:
- Spelt flour – If you don’t have any on hand, substitute a mix of white and whole wheat flours.
- Ground flaxseed and warm water – They act as an egg replacer, making these muffins 100% vegan. Feel free to substitute an egg if you prefer. See the recipe below for instructions!
- Lime juice and baking powder – To help the muffins rise.
- Almond milk – Or any type of milk you keep on hand. Homemade oat milk would be great here too!
- Coconut oil – Tip: use unrefined, or virgin, coconut oil for a stronger coconut flavor.
- Cane sugar – It makes them lightly sweet.
- Vanilla extract and cinnamon – For warm depth of flavor.
- Mango – Dice it finely so that it disperses evenly throughout the muffins.
- Coconut flakes – For topping! They add extra coconut flavor and a yummy crunch.
- And sea salt – To make all the flavors pop!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
These coconut muffins are best right out of the oven, but they also freeze well! Store them in an airtight bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, pop them in the microwave for 20 or so seconds for a warm muffin-y breakfast or snack.
More Favorite Muffin Recipes
If you love these mango coconut muffins, try one of these yummy muffin recipes next:
For more Super Fun Baking Recipes, check out this post!
Mango Coconut Muffins
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed*
- 3 tablespoons water*
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ¾ cup almond milk, at room temperature
- 2 cups spelt flour (or white/wheat mix)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup cane sugar + 2 tablespoons sugar for the topping
- ¼ cup melted unrefined coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup finely diced ripe mango
- ½ to ¾ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Combine the ground flaxseed and water and set aside to thicken. Stir the lime juice into the almond milk and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ½ cup of sugar. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flaxseed mixture, almond milk/lime juice mixture, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the diced mango.
- Evenly divide the batter into the muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters full. Sprinkle with the coconut flakes and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If desired, sprinkle lightly with the remaining sugar. Cool for 10 minutes, then place on a wire rack to finish cooling.
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almondmilk. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that keep us cooking!