Muffins have such a special place in my heart. Growing up, my family ate muffins for breakfast nearly every day and it was awesome. My sister and I would *think* we wanted the colorful cereals that the other kids had. We’d beg my mom to buy them and when she would, they’d end up going stale on the top shelf in the pantry. Nothing beat a warm muffin and a big glass of milk first thing in the morning. Of course, I’ve since nixed the milk part, but my love for muffins continues.
These muffins, made with Almond Breeze Almondmilk Coconutmilk, are my new favorite morning treat.
Now, these are not your giant bakery muffins – huge and over the top – these are the lightly sweet, small, everyday sort of muffins. They’re studded with chopped mango and topped with toasted coconut flakes. The lime juice helps them rise and a mixture of flax binds them together – although these can also be made with an egg if you do not have flax, see the recipe below.
Almond Breeze Almondmilk is my go-to nondairy milk for baking, but the Almond Coconut Blend works especially well here to enhance the light coconut flavor.
These are best right out of the oven but they also freeze well! Store them in an airtight bag in the freezer for up to a month. Pop them in the microwave for 20 or so seconds for a warm muffin-y breakfast or snack.
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed*
- 3 tablespoons water*
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ¾ cup Almond Breeze Almondmilk Coconutmilk, at room temperature
- 2 cups spelt flour (or white/wheat mix)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup cane sugar + 2 tablespoons sugar for the topping
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup finely diced ripe mango
- ½ to ¾ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Combine the ground flaxseed and water and set aside to thicken. Stir the lime juice into the almond milk and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ½ cup of sugar. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flaxseed mixture, almond milk/lime juice mixture, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the diced mango.
- Evenly divide the batter into the muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters full. Sprinkle with the coconut flakes and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If desired, sprinkle lightly with the remaining sugar. Cool for 10 minutes, then place on a wire rack to finish cooling.
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almondmilk. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that keep us cooking!