If you love easy recipes that pack a huge punch of flavor, these roasted cauliflower tacos are for you. They're healthy, delicious, and simple to make.
When I opened Julia Turshen’s new cookbook Simply Julia, I landed on a photo of these roasted cauliflower tacos. My first thought? “I want to eat that.”
After trying them, I think it’s safe to say that you’ll want to eat these cauliflower tacos too. They’re jam-packed with flavor from nutty roasted cauliflower, aromatic spices, and a zingy avocado sauce, and they’re also super easy to make. Roast the veggies, whizz up the sauce, stuff it all into tortillas, and voila! Dinner is served.
If you’re looking for more recipes that combine easy prep with big flavor, I highly recommend you check out Simply Julia. Recipe after recipe will catch your eye – Everything Bagel Hand Pies, Creamy Roasted Tomato & Orzo Soup, White Pizza-Style Kale – and you’ll find that each one is easy to prepare. They’re not all vegetarian, but not to worry! If you have a dietary restriction, Julia is looking out for you. The book is filled with vegan, gluten-free, and low carb options.
But even better than new recipe ideas, Simply Julia will give you a new friend in the kitchen. Julia’s good-humored, honest writing makes you feel like you’re cooking together, with her cheering you on the whole time. Cauliflower tacos, here we come.
Cauliflower Taco Recipe Ingredients
Like many of the recipes in Simply Julia, these cauliflower tacos only require a few ingredients:
- Cauliflower, of course! We’ll roast it until it’s nutty and golden brown.
- Red cabbage – It roasts right along with the cauliflower, becoming tender and browned in the oven.
- Cumin, coriander, olive oil, and salt – They fill the roasted veggies with aromatic flavor.
- Avocado sauce – This rich, zesty sauce is super simple to make! You just need avocado, cilantro, lime juice, and a little mayo.
- Tortillas – Make your own if you’re up for it, or use your favorite store bought corn tortillas.
- And whatever fixings you like! I topped my cauliflower tacos with avocado slices, radishes, cilantro, and sliced serranos. Diced onion, pickled jalapeños, or even a dash of hot sauce would be great too.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Make Cauliflower Tacos
Did I mention that this cauliflower taco recipe is easy to make? 🙂 Here’s how it goes:
First, roast the veggies. Julia roasts the cauliflower florets and cabbage together on one baking sheet. I tweaked the recipe and put them on separate baking sheets, adding the cabbage to the oven partway through the cauliflower cooking time. Either way works! Whether you’re using one baking sheet or two, toss the veggies with the spices, olive oil, and salt before you stick them in the oven.
While the veggies are roasting, make the sauce. You could whizz it together in a food processor or mash it by hand. It’ll be chunkier if you mash it yourself, but it’ll still be delicious.
Finally, assemble and eat! Fill the tortillas with a scoop of the avocado sauce, the roasted veggies, and whatever fixings you like.
Cauliflower Tacos Serving Suggestions
These cauliflower tacos would be perfect for all sorts of occasions:
- A busy weeknight. Enjoy the tacos as a meal on their own. So easy!
- A fun Taco Tuesday. Serve them with chips, salsa, and margaritas to drink.
- An epic taco night. Prepare black beans, refried beans, or pinto beans, cilantro lime rice, and/or Mexican street corn salad to serve on the side. Set out bowls of toppings, and let everyone build their own tacos.
More Favorite Taco Recipes
If you love these roasted cauliflower tacos, check out Simply Julia! In the meantime, tide yourself over with these other veggie taco recipes:
- Vegan Jackfruit Tacos
- Avocado Sweet Potato Tacos
- Portobello Mushroom Tacos
- Grilled Corn Tacos
- Or any of these 11 Best Vegetarian Taco Recipes!
Roasted Cauliflower Tacos
- 1 small cauliflower, outer leaves and core discarded, cut into small florets
- 1 pound red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1/2 small red cabbage or 6 cups sliced)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 recipe Avocado Sauce
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- Thinly sliced radishes, optional
- Sliced serrano peppers, optional
- Avocado slices, optional
- Cilantro, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the cauliflower and cabbage on a large sheet pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the cumin, coriander, and salt. Use your hands to mix everything together and spread it out into an even layer. Roast, stirring every 15 minutes, until the vegetables are softened and browned in spots, about 45 minutes. (I roasted my cabbage and cauliflower on two separate sheet pans. I cooked the cauliflower for 25 minutes and the cabbage for 10 minutes. Both ways work!)
- Evenly divide the Avocado Sauce and roasted vegetables among the tortillas. Serve immediately with the radishes, serranos, avocado slices, and cilantro, if using.