This one is so simple but I’m really excited about it. I received (yet another) giant cauliflower last week. I loved this preparation so much that I made it two nights in a row… which rarely happens around here.
Also rare… this short list of ingredients. I have a way of turning a “simple” recipe idea into a list of 20 items, but not this time! (I was so proud, can you tell?)
This is great as a side dish but it would also make a nice appetizer – skip the greens and serve them with the sauce for dipping.
- ½ inch slices of cauliflower, from the middle of the head
- olive oil
- minced garlic
- 6 oz. plain yogurt
- juice of half of a small lemon (about 2 tablespoons) plus a bit of the zest
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- a splash of olive oil (1/2 to 1 tablespoon)
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350. If you've just washed your cauliflower, pat it dry and sprinkle with salt. Let it sit and dry while your oven is preheating. Place them on a baking sheet and bake them (we're pre-cooking them) for 15 minutes, or until they're a little bit soft and barely browning on the edges. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, stir the yogurt ingredients together. Taste and adjust. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat the bottom of it with olive oil. Add the garlic and then the cauliflower steaks. Cook on each side for about 5 minutes or until they're golden brown and caramelizing. (reduce heat if the garlic starts to burn).
- Remove them from the skillet, salt them a little bit more and serve with a few greens & pomegranate seeds (optional)... and generous dollops yogurt sauce (less optional).