This 7-ingredient carrot ginger soup is one of our favorite recipes for brightening up cold days. Creamy & refreshing, it's a satisfying, cozy meal.
If you went to your farmers market over the weekend and came home with a beautiful bunch of carrots, then this carrot soup recipe is for you. They’re the main ingredient in this easy recipe, along with a few staples that you likely already have in your kitchen.
Carrot Soup Recipe Ingredients
This easy soup recipe is just 7 ingredients, and it’s so simple and delicious with no cream, no cashew cream, and no coconut cream (ok just a tad for garnish, but it’s really not necessary). The creamy base of the soup comes purely from the pureed carrots. Here’s what else makes it so darn good:
- Ginger adds a lovely freshness and plays well with the carrots’ sweetness.
- Onion and garlic give it depth of flavor.
- Extra-virgin olive oil adds richness.
- Apple cider vinegar or orange juice makes it bright & tangy.
- And veggie broth gets the blender moving and ties it all together.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, and add a bit of maple to sweeten it up, if you wish. That’s it!
Carrot Ginger Soup Serving Suggestions
I made this carrot soup a full meal by serving it with a simple massaged kale salad made of leftover brown rice, a few carrot curls, dried cranberries, a drizzle of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. I also smashed some avocado on toast and topped it with dollops of pesto. It would be excellent with herbed farro as well. For more salad inspiration, check out this post.
The soup is great on its own, but it’s extra tasty with scoops of pesto that I made out of the carrot tops. I’ve made carrot top pesto before, but this is the first time I’ve made it with only the carrot greens and no other herbs. Because who has basil this time of year?
Like most soups, this carrot soup keeps well in the fridge for a few days, so it would be a great make-ahead Thanksgiving starter or weekday lunch. See this post for my best meal prep tips and this one for more lunch ideas.
If you love this carrot ginger soup recipe…
Make sure to try this butternut squash soup, vegetable soup tomato soup, potato soup, curried lentil soup or any of these 25 favorite soups next!
Carrot Soup Recipe with Ginger
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 pound carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, optional
- coconut milk for garnish, optional
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, salt and pepper and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add the smashed garlic cloves (they’ll get blended later) and carrots to the pot and cook 8 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the ginger, apple cider vinegar, and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth. If your soup is too thick, add a little water. If you would like your soup a little sweeter, add the maple syrup.
- Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk, if desired.
I love this soup! Have made it several times for guests, doubled the ginger, and doubled the whole recipe. As with most soups, it is even better the second day.
Hi Deb, I’m so glad you love it!
I think I will serve as a cold soup!
I don’t have onion, can I still make this recipe or will it not taste as good?
I loved it. The only thing I think it lacked was chilli, but that’s probably because I love the heat! Also I had some cheesy bread on the side and slices of chicken on top for some protein. Simply marvelous (and cheap)
So glad you loved it!
This was really tasty. And quite simple to make — it took about 10 min. of prep, most of which I could do while the onions were cooking. I just wish there was more of it — the base recipe made 2 bowls. Next time, I’ll double it so I can enjoy leftovers the next day.
Hi Rose, I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe!
This is the best soup I’ve ever made! I tried it because I happened to have all the ingredients on hand. I was surprised how delicious it is. I’ll be making this for pot lucks and parties for sure!
I made this for my older brothers who never finish their vegetables and they gobbled this up so quickly! I’ve been craving it for the past week so I made sure to pick up extra carrots, can’t wait for dinner tonight
I’m so glad you’re all loving the soup!
Tried this recipe last night. I added one less garlic clove and almost doubled the ginger ( because I just Can’t have enough ginger in everything) but still turned out Amazing! Thank you!
So glad you loved the soup!
Ahhhmazing! Followed the instructions to the T tho I used chicken broth instead because I didn’t have the vegetable broth. Easy, delicious, very well balanced!