I’m pretty sure this one covers all of my major food groups: green vegetables, avocado, almonds, mint, lime & sriracha. In fact, I could probably stop right here and live happily ever after. I could change our name to The Brussels Sprout Blog and take pictures of this dish – every day – just in a different bowl (you know, to keep things exciting).
Of course, I’m kidding, but I do really love this combo. What really pulls it together is the fish sauce (don’t worry, if you’re vegetarian you can sub it out), but it really brings the most amazing salty-rich flavor to the bold, tangy dressing. And it’s perfect with brussels sprouts.
Feel free to add (or omit) any grain you want… I happen to be in love with forbidden rice right now. It’s healthier than white rice and it conveniently takes SO much less time to cook than brown rice.
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, sliced in half
- 1 cup sliced broccolini
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- a bit of coconut oil, for the pan
- salt, pepper
- 1 cup (cooked) black rice
- ½ avocado, diced
- handful of fresh mint
- handful of sliced almonds
- handful of micro sprouts
- sprinkle of sesame seeds
- extra sriracha, for serving
- extra lime slices, for serving
- ¼ cup fish sauce (or soy sauce, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablesooons rice wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sriracha (optional)
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside. (You can take a taste but remember that it might seem a little strong - it'll become more tame once it's on the brussels sprouts and everything else).
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add a few teaspoons of oil. When it starts to sizzle add the brussels sprouts, cut side down (or as many as you can get cut side down quickly), with a few pinches of salt. Don't touch them for a few minutes until the cut-side starts to turn golden brown (turn one over to check). Once they have a good sear, flip them over, add the broccolini and continue cooking until tender, but not mushy. At the very end, toss in the scallions.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large plate, let them cool slightly, then toss with a bit of the dressing. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Toss the brussels sprouts & broccolini with the black rice, sliced avocado, mint, almonds, sprouts and sesame seeds. Taste & toss with more dressing. Serve warm, and with extra lime slices and more sriracha if you like.
Feel free to roast your brussels sprouts & broccolini in the oven if you prefer.