This salad is spring on a plate! Blanched asparagus gets tossed with sweet basil oil, peas, radishes, chickpeas, and pistachios. I balanced the crisp veggies with creamy mozzarella, although sliced avocado would be equally delicious in this spring salad if you’re vegan.
Spring Salad Recipe Variations
Like most green salad recipes, this one is totally flexible. For extra crunch, try roasting the chickpeas. If you don’t have pistachios on hand, pine nuts or walnuts would be equally good. Blanched broccolini or snaps peas would be great alongside or instead of the asparagus and peas, and you could use watermelon radish in place of red radishes. And if basil or mint isn’t your thing, try substituting dill!
This is a great make-ahead salad – perfect for your spring picnics & brunches. The veggies will stay crisp overnight in the fridge, just add the salad greens as you’re ready to serve.
If you loved this spring salad recipe…
- ¼ cup fresh basil or mix of basil and mint
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus some zest
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more as desired
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 bunch of asparagus, tender tops only
- ½ cup peas
- A few handfuls of salad greens
- ½ cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- A few sliced radishes
- ½ cup sliced mozzarella balls (vegan sub: avocado)
- Handful of chopped, toasted pistachios
- Handful of herbs: chopped basil, mint and/or chives
- Make the basil & mint oil: In a food processor, pulse together the herbs, garlic, lemon juice and zest, balsamic, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
- Prepare the salad: Chop your asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Blanch them for about 45 seconds in a pot of boiling, salted water. Remove immediately and transfer asparagus to a bowl of ice water. Let cool, then drain. (If you’re using fresh peas, blanch the peas as well, if you’re using frozen ones, just let them thaw and add them to your salad raw).
- In a large bowl toss together the blanched asparagus, peas, salad greens, chickpeas, radishes, and mozzarella. Add as much of the dressing as you like and toss again. Add the pistachios, chives, and mint. Taste and adjust seasonings. Transfer the salad to a platter and serve.
- This salad can be made up to a day in advance, just leave out the salad greens until you’re ready to serve.