An easy, healthy breakfast bowl! Amaranth-oat granola, almond milk and fresh blueberries. Vegan & gluten free.
Let me start out by saying: I’m not a cereal person. I’ve told this story before – my sister and I used to BEG my mom for all of the artificially colored sugary cereals with fun cartoon characters… sometimes she’d give in but always with the disclaimer “only if you actually eat it this time.” We would excitedly make this promise only to go home, have one bowl and never touch it again.
This granola, however – I’ll happily eat cereal-style. But with almond milk instead of regular milk because we all know that Almond Breeze is my go-to milk.
Amaranth is a new grain for me – you can google for it’s health benefits (i.e, just like quinoa, it’s a good source of plant-based protein), but I love it in this granola because it’s crunchy texture really holds up when it gets doused with almond milk and fruit. Soggy cereal is just not acceptable in my book (or, well, on my blog).
What I love about this breakfast is that it’s hearty and satisfying but also convenient for those days when you need a breakfast on the go. Make a big batch and keep it at your desk… or better yet, portion it out so to avoid snacky temptation because it’s so delicious and addictive!
breakfast bowl with amaranth granola
- 1.5 cup rolled oats (not instant)*
- ½ cup amaranth
- ⅔ cup chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- fresh, frozen or dried fruit (blueberries, tart cherries, etc)
- Almond Breeze Almondmilk Original
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, amaranth, almonds, cinnamon and salt. Add coconut oil, maple syrup and almond butter, and mix to incorporate.
- Spread onto the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Rotate the pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes more, or until golden brown. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Assemble bowls with granola, fruit and almond milk.
- Store extra granola in an airtight container.