Oats are everywhere! I know I’m late to the oat party, and I got burned out on oatmeal in college, but they have been haunting me. I’ve been seeing such beautiful & inspiring dishes all over my Instagram and Pinterest for the last two years that I finally decided to give oatmeal another shot and you know what? I’m starting to come around, and it’s recipes like this one that are getting me there.
This oaty-nutty-cinnamony goodness is really closer to a soft oatmeal cookie or the topping of a fruit crumble… and it’s a far cry from the packet of instant oats mixed with water and microwaved that I was so obsessed with in college. It’s also going to be the perfect sweet yet-still-somewhat healthy dish for your Mother’s Day brunch this weekend.
The recipe starts with all of those things labeled above. It’s vegan, made with Almond Breeze instead of milk, and flaxseed instead of eggs. I’ve also packed some healthy fats in here by way of hemp seeds and coconut flakes. It’s so crispy, nutty and delicious.
I layer my baking dish with bananas and strawberries, then the oat mixture. This recipe is flexible, so feel free to sub in whatever fruit you like – I’m already looking forward to making this with peaches and blackberries this summer.
Top it with a layer of blueberries, slivered almonds, more hemp seeds and more coconut. It’ll get all toasty in the oven, while staying deliciously soft in the middle. I’m still counting this as a brunch recipe, but it’s also good as dessert with a scoop of ice cream.
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons warm water
- 2 cups whole rolled oats
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- ⅔ cup coconut flakes
- ¼ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup Vanilla Almond Breeze Almondmilk Unsweetened, at room temp
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 banana, chopped
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray an 8x8-inch (or similar) baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed and warm water and set aside to thicken for about 5 minutes.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the almonds, hemp seeds and coconut flakes and set aside. In a large bowl combine the oats, the remaining almonds, hemp seeds and coconut flakes, and the baking powder, cinnamon, brown sugar and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond milk, maple syrup and coconut oil and whisk to combine. Stir in the flaxseed mixture and blend until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Layer the bananas and strawberries in the baking dish and spread the oat mixture on top. Sprinkle with the blueberries and the reserved almonds, hemp seeds and coconut flakes.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top is crisp and the middle is set. I find it easiest to wedge a knife in and make sure the middle has thickened nicely. Remove and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.