A simple summer appetizer: blackberries + mascarpone cheese with thyme and lemon zest. (vegan option).
Now that it’s nearly summer, I’ve been making more and more things with less and less ingredients. Lately, I’ve been in love with this juicy little blackberry bite – it’s simple, sweet & bright, with an unexpected savory note from the thyme leaves.
These would be beautiful (not to mention ridiculously easy to assemble) for any last minute cocktail party. The only thing missing here: a patio & a few glasses of prosecco. It’s 5 o’ clock somewhere right?
blackberry & lemon zest crostini
- slices of toasted baguette
- mascarpone cheese (see vegan version in the notes)
- blackberries (macerated w/ a pinch of sugar and salt)
- lemon zest
- a few thyme leaves
- drizzle of honey
- optional - more salt, to taste
- Place blackberries in a small bowl, add a pinch (or two) of sugar and a small pinch of salt. Stir, and let sit at room temp for 20-30 minutes. (you can skip this step, it just makes them a bit juicier).
- Assemble crostini with a spread of mascarpone cheese, a few blackberries, top with lemon zest.
vegan version: make cashew "cream": 1.5 cups soaked raw cashews, drain and rinse, then blend (in a high speed blender) with the juice of 1 small lemon, ½ cup water (more as needed), and a few pinches of salt. Blend until creamy, then chill before serving. (Also - skip the honey on top).