The BEST green smoothie recipe! It's chock-full of healthy ingredients like fresh spinach, but you'd never guess it from the sweet, delicious taste.
This healthy green smoothie is my latest breakfast obsession. If you’ve been reading the blog for a while, you know that I go in and out of breakfast kicks. I’ll eat one type of food every morning for a few weeks before moving on to the next phase. I’ve cycled through muffins, eggs, overnight oats, hot oatmeal, porridge, and more, but I have to say, this green smoothie kick might just stick around. I love starting my day knowing that I’ve already had multiple servings of fresh fruits and vegetables, and this particular green smoothie is really delicious. It’s healthy, creamy, and made with just 6 ingredients. I’ll have it on repeat for the next few weeks (at least!), and I hope that you will too.
Best Green Smoothie Recipe Ingredients
Even though this green smoothie looks incredibly healthy (and it is – there are lots of leafy greens in there!), what I love most about it is its creamy texture and sweet, fresh flavor. Here’s what makes it so darn good:
- Frozen banana makes it thick and creamy. Plus, it adds a little sweetness and plenty of potassium.
- Lots of spinach gives this smoothie its vibrant color and a host of nutrients. Don’t worry – you can’t taste it!
- Fresh mint gives it a light, fresh flavor.
- Almond butter makes it creamy, satisfying, and rich with healthy fats.
- Vanilla extract adds yummy depth of flavor.
- Ice cubes make it cool and refreshing.
- And almond milk gets the blender going and perfects the creamy texture. If you don’t have almond milk on hand, another plant-based milk like oat milk, soy milk, or coconut milk would be great here too.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
This green smoothie recipe makes 2 servings. Share it for breakfast if your significant other loves smoothies as much as mine does!
Green Smoothie Recipe Variations
I love this green smoothie recipe as written, but feel free to play with it! Swap in what’s in season or what you have on hand. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Mix up the greens. Replace the spinach with a small handful of kale.
- Swap the herbs. Try using cilantro, parsley, basil, or arugula instead of mint. Or if you prefer, skip the herbs altogether!
- Add more fruit. Frozen fruits like frozen mango, strawberries, or blueberries would all taste good here. Or if you want to make a green smoothie that tastes sweeter, blend in one or two Medjool dates!
- Up the protein. Blend in your favorite protein powder or a scoop of Greek yogurt.
- Give it an extra flavor boost. Grate in fresh ginger or lemon zest, or add a squeeze of lemon juice or a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Use a different nut butter. Don’t like almond butter? Use cashew butter instead. You could also replace the nut butter and with a scoop of hemp seeds, chia seeds, or flaxseed.
Let me know what variations you try!
More Favorite Smoothie Recipes
If you love this green smoothie recipe, try one of these healthy smoothies next:
- Berry Superfood Smoothie Bowl
- Cinnamon Coffee Smoothie
- Creamy Avocado Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Healthy Breakfast Smoothies
Then, check out this post for more healthy breakfast ideas!
Best Green Smoothie
- 1 frozen banana
- big handfuls fresh baby spinach, about 2 cups
- ¼ cup fresh mint, about 10 leaves
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 ice cubes
- ¼ teaspoon good vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Almond Breeze Almondmilk Cashewmilk, more as needed
- In a blender, combine the banana, spinach, mint leaves, almond butter, ice, vanilla and cashew milk. Blend until smooth. Add more cashew milk as needed for desired consistency.
- Pour into glasses and serve.