This scenario happens often: I get on a smoothie kick, and I make the same one again and again and again. Same time, same place, same smoothie. Tell me that this happens to you too? This berry-spinach smoothie bowl recipe is my new latest obsession.
Why You’ll Love this Smoothie Bowl Recipe
- It tastes amazing. Instead of banana, I add a scoop of almond butter for creaminess (and a little protein). As a result, it has a hint of PB&J flavor – it’s SO delicious and also husband-approved. Which means that I’m pretty sure it would be kid-approved too.
- It’s easy to keep the ingredients on hand. Because frozen berries and almond butter make the creamy, cold base of this bowl, you can easily keep the ingredients on hand without them spoiling.
- It’s packed with antioxidants and other nutrients! Its flavor is hidden, but spinach adds extra vitamins to this already antioxidant-rich breakfast. If you top it with hemp seeds or walnuts, it will also give you a good dose of omega-3s. You could eat this as a healthy breakfast, but we also love it for dessert.
Smoothie Bowl Topping Ideas
For my superfood smoothie bowl toppings, I use coconut flakes, hemp seeds, whole blueberries, and crushed freeze dried strawberries. Freeze dried strawberries are a new-to-me ingredient, but – um, wow – I’m hooked on them. They have such an amazing concentrated strawberry flavor. If you can’t find them, skip ’em, but they’re definitely a fun ingredient to seek out. Other good topping options would be almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, or your favorite granola.
- 1 cup mixed frozen berries*
- 4 ice cubes
- Splashes of light coconut milk (enough to get blender moving)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- Handful of spinach
- Optional: 1 teaspoon acai powder
- Optional: maple syrup or sweetener of your choice, to taste
- hemp seeds
- coconut flakes
- freeze dried strawberries
- Place the frozen berries, ice cubes, coconut milk, almond butter and spinach in a blender. Add acai powder, if using. Blend until smooth, adding additional coconut milk as needed. (As little as necessary so your smoothie will be thick). Taste and add maple syrup or sweetener of choice, if desired. Blend again.
- Pour into two bowls and top with hemp seeds, coconut flakes, blueberries, and dried strawberries.