If you were to ask me which food most defines my childhood, I’d answer – without hesitation – chocolate chip muffins. During my entire childhood, not only did my mom make chocolate chip muffins at least once or twice a week for breakfast, but my grandmother would bring giant containers full of them whenever she visited. Even when I went off to college, my mom actually mailed the muffins to me. That means until I moved in with Jack, pretty much every day was muffin day!
So today I’m here to remedy the situation! These banana muffins don’t follow the family recipe, but I love them anyway 🙂 Here’s what’s in them:
Ingredients for these Banana Muffins:
- Bananas – the star!
- Ground flaxseed – this makes the recipe vegan, eggs aren’t necessary!
- Whole-wheat pastry flour – or use half white/half wheat flour.
- Cinnamon & nutmeg – the perfect spices for banana muffins.
- Baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt – baking staples.
- Almond milk – or any milk you like.
- Apple cider vinegar – this helps them rise!
- Maple syrup – because these muffins are naturally sweetened.
- Olive oil – it’s so healthy but any neutral oil will work.
- Chocolate chips – optional! Blueberries would also be delicious.
Of course, if you aren’t a fan of chocolate in your muffins, just leave it out and you’ll have delicious banana bread muffins. I think they’d also be great with blueberries in place of the chocolate, but don’t tell my younger self I said that.
- 4 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 4 tablespoons warm water*
- 1¾ cups whole-wheat pastry flour (or white/wheat mix)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅔ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup olive oil or any neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 bananas)
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease or spray a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed and warm water and set aside to thicken for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond milk, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, oil, and vanilla and stir to combine. Stir in the flaxseed mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the mashed banana and chocolate chips. Use a ⅓ cup measuring scoop to divide the batter in the muffin tin.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean. Let cool 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.