This easy, healthy banana bread recipe has it all - it’s moist, nicely spiced, and easy to make. What's better than a slice of banana bread for breakfast?
While bananas may not be my favorite fruit, banana bread is a whole other story. When I bake banana bread, I lose all control. Just knowing that a loaf is sitting on the kitchen counter will make me come back for just one more slice all day long. This healthy banana bread recipe is the perfect afternoon snack with a cup of coffee, and I love how wonderful it makes the house smell. Whenever I have a few ripe bananas sitting on my counter, it’s banana bread time!
Side note: this bread freezes well, which is how I was able to exhibit any sense of portion control as we tested loaf after loaf. 🙂
Why I Love This Banana Bread
I could go on and on about why I love this healthy banana bread recipe. In an effort to show some restraint, though, I’m just listing my top 3 reasons here:
- It’s easy to make – simply fold together the ingredients (careful not to overmix!), and pop your loaf in the oven. The hard part is waiting for it to bake!
- It has a perfect moist texture and delicious spiced banana flavor. In addition to whole wheat flour, I use almond flour in this recipe, which gives it an amazing moist texture without making it too dense. And in the flavor department, cinnamon & nutmeg add yummy notes of warm spices.
- It’s healthy! I sweeten this loaf with coconut sugar (regular sugar works too). This recipe also has no butter because I use (a mild flavored) olive oil instead. A combination of whole wheat pastry flour and almond flour makes this recipe wholesome, nutty, and delicious. Plus, walnuts add a nutty crunch and a boost of omega-3s.
Get Creative with This Healthy Banana Bread Recipe!
Make this easy banana bread recipe once, and you’ll make it again and again. If you want to change it up, feel free to experiment with different mix-ins. Chocolate chips, pecans, or chopped dried fruit would all be delicious in place of the walnuts. You could also vary the spices – try cardamom or ginger instead of nutmeg!
How to Freeze Banana Bread
And once you make it, freeze slices to have on hand for busy mornings or on days when you need an afternoon pick-me-up. I like to make a double batch so that I can freeze one loaf and enjoy the other straight out of the oven. You could freeze the whole loaf if you like… I like to slice mine before freezing so that the individual slices thaw quickly. Just be sure to let your loaf cool completely before slicing and freezing.
If you love banana baked goods, make these vegan banana pancakes or these banana muffins next! And if you’re a quick bread fan, check out my pumpkin bread, chocolate zucchini bread, and regular zucchini bread.
And if you really love banana bread, you have to make these Banana Bread Quinoa Breakfast Cookies that are in my new cookbook, Love & Lemons Every Day – they’re one of my favorite morning treats!
If you loved this banana bread recipe…
Healthy Banana Bread
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
- ½ cup coconut sugar, or regular sugar
- ¾ cup almond milk, or any milk
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil, more for brushing
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour*, see note
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoon rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and brush a 9x5-inch loaf pan with a bit of olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed bananas with the sugar, almond milk, olive oil, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar and whisk until combined.
- In a medium bowl combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir until just combined, then fold in the walnuts. Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the chopped walnuts and oats.
- Bake for 42 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.