Sometimes when you take your favorite cookie recipe and try to change WAY too many ingredients, it doesn’t work out. These little no-bake bites were inspired by a big time “cookie flop.”
The thing about cookie flops is that I don’t mind them all that much – the failed results, although not post-able, still satisfy a sweet chocolate chippy craving. With this particular flop, the best part about my not-perfect cookies was the sweet & nutty “dough” made from oats and almond butter. I couldn’t stop eating it. So instead of trying to make a cookie recipe, I set out to make these no-bake bites instead.
While working out this recipe, I swapped some more ingredients (bye bye flour and brown sugar). Fast forward through multiple batches later and we have yummy no-bake cookie-like bites. The bites are made with toasted oats, flaxseed, coconut, walnuts and delicious roasted almond butter. They’re naturally sweetened with dates and maple syrup.
This recipe makes 12 good-sized round bites. You can double the recipe to make more, but you will need a larger food processor than the small one that I have.
After you process the ingredients together, roll them into balls and chill until firm. Store them in the fridge and try not to keep going back for one more.
- 1 cup whole rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons warm water
- ¼ cup roasted almond butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 soft Medjool dates, pitted (or 2 additional tablespoons of maple syrup)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- In a medium pan, toast the oats over low heat until just browned around the edges, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed and warm water and set aside to thicken for about 5 minutes. In a food processor, combine the almond butter, maple syrup, dates, coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Add the flaxseed mixture and blend until smooth.
- Add the walnuts and pulse until combined. Add the oats and coconut and pulse until combined. Add the chocolate chips and pulse just until evenly incorporated.
- Roll the mixture into 12 balls and chill until firm, at least 30 minutes. If the dough is too sticky to work with, chill it for several minutes before rolling.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.