These green breakfast tacos are my go-to weekday breakfast. Scrambled eggs are tucked into tortillas with avocado, spinach & tomatillo salsa.
I’ve made these breakfast tacos so many times that it would be impossible to count. Originally inspired by the El Popeye, one of my favorite breakfast tacos in Austin, these have now become part of my regular breakfast routine because they’re such a tasty way to eat vegetables first thing in the morning. They’re filled with eggs, sautéed spinach, avocado, and very generous scoops of fresh tomatillo salsa.
If you missed Monday and Wednesday’s posts, this is Breakfast Taco Week here on the blog! Go read the first installments here and here if you want to learn to make various types of healthy breakfast tacos every morning (and download a printable grocery list PDF here). Or just skip to the recipe below and make these healthy green breakfast tacos today!
My very green breakfast tacos
This recipe is so quick and easy, which is why I make it all the time. Here’s what’s in it!
- Scrambled eggs: the base of the taco
- Sautéed spinach: for green power
- Avocado slices: for healthy fat and deliciousness
- Tomatillo Salsa: for punchy flavor! Keep this on hand in the fridge for fast tacos.
- Extras: a few sliced serranos and a few microgreens, optional
Breakfast Taco Tips
- Fresh tomatillo salsa will last up to about 2 weeks, (jarred tomatillo salsa will last longer).
- Change up your filling by adding black beans, diced tomato, or dried chile salsa
- Store tortillas in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze them to store even longer
- For best flavor, char tortillas over a gas flame until the edges brown
Avocado Tomatillo Breakfast Tacos
- Brush a medium nonstick stick skillet lightly with olive oil and bring to medium heat. Add the spinach and pinches of salt and pepper and sauté until the spinach is wilted. Work in batches, if necessary.
- Wipe out the skillet and scramble the eggs. Brush the skillet lightly with olive oil and bring to medium heat. Add the eggs, let them cook for a few seconds, and then stir and scramble the eggs until just set.
- Assemble the tacos with the eggs, spinach, avocado slices, and scoops of tomatillo salsa. Top with the microgreens and sliced serranos and serve with lime wedges, if desired.