Love avocado toast? Learn how to take it to the next level with this simple recipe (+5 amazing variations!) and my best tips and tricks!
When avocado toast came onto the scene years ago, lots of people wrote it off as a trend. But as someone who still eats it for breakfast or lunch a few times a week, I have to say that I think avocado toast is here to stay! It’s super easy to make, it’s healthy and satisfying, and it’s a blank canvas for flavorful seasonal toppings. What’s not to love?
Below, you’ll find my basic avocado toast recipe along with 5 fun & fancy variations. Whether you toss them together for breakfast, enjoy them for lunch, or make them for a quick and easy dinner, I hope you love them as much as I do!
Avocado Toast Recipe Variations
Made with good bread and ripe avocados, even simple avocado toast is delicious. However, it can also serve as a template for all sorts of fun toppings. Try adding chopped fresh herbs, a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, black pepper or red pepper flakes, or a poached or scrambled egg. And if you have tahini sauce, cilantro lime dressing, pesto, or chipotle sauce on hand, even a small drizzle will kick your toast up a notch.
If you want to take things one step further, use multiple toppings to make one of these variations:
1. Banh Mi Avo Toast
Whenever I make banh mi sandwiches, I always some of the pickles left over. This bright and tangy toast is the perfect way to use them up!
- Banh mi pickles
- Sriracha mayo, optional
2. Toast-ada Toast
These Tex-Mex toppings make this toast spicy and fun. A pop of pickled onion takes it over the top.
3. Roasted Chickpea & Harissa
It’s worth getting a jar of harissa just to make this toast! It combines with these toppings to create delicious creamy/crunchy texture and tangy/smoky flavor:
- Roasted chickpeas
4. Sushi Toast
My personal favorite! I top avocado toast with sushi fixings in this fresh, sweet, and savory variation:
- Cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- Pickled ginger
- Sesame seeds
- Sliced nori, optional
5. Everything & More
My dairy-free riff on a loaded everything bagel, with mashed avocado instead of cream cheese! Here’s what else is on it:
- Carrot, peeled into ribbons (Instead of lox!)
- Everything seasoning
- Diced red onion
How to Make Avocado Toast
Making avocado toast is easy! You likely already have your own method, but these simple tips will take it from good to great:
- Better ingredients make better toast. Use the best bread you can find! I like to toast thick slices of sourdough or whole grain bread. For an extra pop of flavor, lightly rub each slice of bread with the cut side of a halved garlic clove as soon as it comes out of the toaster.
- Mash the avocado directly on the toast. Some recipes call for you to mash the avocado in a separate bowl before piling it onto the bread, but in my opinion, the more texture the avocado has, the better your toast will be (we’re not making guacamole). Halve the avocado and remove the pit. Then, use a paring knife to score cubes of the avocado inside the skin without piercing the skin. Drizzle the diced flesh with lemon juice and sprinkle it with flaky sea salt before scooping and mashing onto the toast. Alternatively, slice the avocado inside the skin, season it, and fan the slices onto the bread. No need to mash!
- Don’t skip the lemon and salt. They add brightness and make the flavors pop! I like to season the avocado inside the skin, before I scoop it onto the bread.
Love this avocado toast recipe?
- 1 ripe avocado
- Lemon, for squeezing
- Sea salt
- 2 to 4 slices toasted bread
- Desired toppings, listed above, optional
- Halve the avocado vertically and remove the pit. Use a small knife to dice the avocado flesh while it's still inside the skin. Season the flesh with a squeeze of lemon juice and sprinkle it with sea salt.
- Scoop the diced avocado flesh out of the skin and onto the toasted bread. Mash the avocado with the back of a fork and top with your desired toppings.