I’ll never get tired of an arugula salad with avocado and quinoa. They’re probably my favorite three ingredients to use. I love this sweet combo of dried apricots, peppery arugula, smoky cumin and fruity Arbequina Olive Oil. (I almost named this Arbequina Quinoa – but try to say that one five times fast).
So what’s Arbequina Olive Oil? It’s a light and fruity extra virgin olive oil that’s perfect for flavorful like this one. Coincidentally, I’ve been buying it long before the folks at California Olive Ranch started sending it to me. Try it, I promise you’ll love it. (I usually get mine at Whole Foods). You can also use any quality extra-virgin olive oil in this recipe.
The dressing here is a simple moroccan-inspired combination of cumin, garlic, lemon and honey. (vegan sub: maple syrup)
If you love salads as much as I do, check out many many more in the salad section of our recipe index!
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- juice of 1 medium lemon
- ½ to 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup, if vegan
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- a few big handfuls of arugula
- ¼ cup dried apricots
- 1 small avocado, cubed
- ¼ cup chopped, toasted almonds
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk together the olive oil, garlic, lemon, honey, cumin, chives, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the quinoa, chickpeas, arugula, dried apricots, and a few generous pinches of salt and pepper. Drizzle in ¾ of the dressing and toss again. Top with the avocado, chopped almonds, chives, and drizzle the remaining dressing. Season to taste and serve.