This apple cider vinegar dressing is my favorite way to brighten up a fall salad! Made with 7 basic ingredients, it's super flavorful and easy to make.
If I’m making a salad in the fall, there’s a good chance that I’ll drizzle an apple cider vinegar dressing on top. Maybe it’s because fall is apple season, but there’s something irresistible about the combination of apple cider vinegar and autumn foods like cranberries and squash. In a hearty salad or side dish, an apple cider vinaigrette adds a tangy pop of flavor that brings these sweet ingredients to life.
I’ve made a million apple cider vinegar dressing recipes over the years. Some are spiced with cinnamon, others are infused with sage, but the recipe below is the one I make most often. It’s incredibly simple, and it tastes great on just about anything. I’ll always encourage you to enjoy it in the fall, but if you toss it with a salad or drizzle it over roasted veggies at another time of year, you’re still going to love it.
Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing Ingredients
Ready to try this apple cider vinaigrette? Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Apple cider vinegar, of course! It gives this apple cider vinegar salad dressing its delicious tangy flavor.
- Maple syrup – Who doesn’t love apples + maple? The syrup’s sweetness balances the bold vinegar and mustard in this recipe.
- Garlic – For sharp depth of flavor.
- Dijon mustard – Its savory, peppery taste pairs perfectly with the punchy vinegar.
- Extra-virgin olive oil – I rarely make a salad dressing without it. It gives this dressing body and unites the flavors of the other ingredients.
- And salt and pepper – To make all the flavors pop!
In a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, garlic, mustard, salt, and pepper. Drizzle in the olive oil while whisking, and continue to stir until the dressing is emulsified. Alternatively, combine everything in a Mason jar with a tight-fitting lid, and shake to combine. Season to taste, and enjoy!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Apple Cider Vinaigrette Serving Suggestions
Toss this apple cider vinaigrette with any salad you please! I especially love it with fall flavors. I call for it specifically in my Wheat Berry Salad, and it would be fantastic on my Farmhouse Farro Salad, Pomegranate Salad, and Butternut Squash Salad too.
If you’re not in the mood for a salad, you can still enjoy this delicious dressing! Drizzle it over roasted vegetables like beets or acorn squash, or use it in place of the dressing in this roasted delicata squash recipe. It’s also a great way to brighten up a grain bowl. Start with a base of wheat berries, farro, or quinoa, and add a protein like roasted chickpeas or lentils. Pile on vegetables like roasted butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, and sautéed kale, and pour the dressing on top to tie it all together.
More Homemade Salad Dressings
If you love this apple cider vinegar dressing, try one of these salad dressings next:
- Homemade Italian Dressing
- Greek Salad Dressing
- Lemon Vinaigrette
- Green Goddess Dressing
- Vegan Ranch
- Homemade Caesar Dressing
- Tahini Dressing
Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, garlic, mustard, salt, and several grinds of pepper.
- Drizzle in the olive oil while whisking and continue to whisk until the dressing is emulsified. Alternatively, combine everything in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake to combine.