Here's a delicious, healthy version of nutella made with almonds. It's vegan, dairy-free, gluten free, and only three ingredients!
Everyone loves nutella right? I love it as much as the next person, but I don’t love all of the unhealthy ingredients that are in it. This almond chocolate spread, (almond-ella is what I’m calling it), is just as creamy and delicious. It’s super easy and just 3 ingredients: almond butter, chocolate, and (the secret to it’s smooth texture), coconut oil.
Melt everything together, pour it into a jar. It’ll firm up and set as it cools, (if you can wait that long). Slather it on toasted bread and top it with your favorite fruit.
Many of you have asked me to recommend gluten free bread products that I like. One of my favorites is Udi’s Millet-Chia Bread. You can find it in the frozen bread section at Whole Foods (and other similar stores). I’ve been buying it long before they sent it to me for this post. (See my typical lunch).
But wait, there’s more – today’s recipe was created for Udi’s “What the Hack” competition. Create your own gluten free clever “hack” recipe and enter to win $3,000. (Plus, everyone who enters gets an Udi’s coupon). Hop on over to their website to view the rules and enter!
- ½ cup creamy almond butter
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (around 50% cacao)
- 1.5 tablespoons coconut oil
- toasted slices of Udi’s Millet Chia Bread
- toasted coconut flakes
- Combine the almond butter, chocolate, and coconut oil in a medium glass bowl. Make a double boiler by placing the glass bowl over a smaller pot filled with simmering water. Stir often, as the chocolate slowly melts. Once the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth, remove the bowl from heat.
- Let the spread cool and set (at room temp, or pop it in the fridge for a little bit). Slather generously onto slices of Udi’s Millet Chia Bread. Top with strawberries and coconut flakes, or any toppings you like.
- Store extra spread at room temperature in an airtight jar.
Udi's bread is dairy-free but not vegan (it contains egg whites).