These air fryer zucchini chips are crispy, golden brown, and filled with delicious Parmesan flavor. They're an easy, addictive side dish or snack!
Heads up: these air fryer zucchini chips are one delicious snack. They’re crispy on the outside, juicy in the middle, and filled with nutty Parmesan flavor. You might think you’re going to try just one, or maybe two, but if you’re anything like me, you’re not. You’re going to munch on these air fryer zucchini chips until every last one is gone!
I based this recipe on the baked zucchini chips I shared last summer. Both versions are super yummy, but at this time of year, I like how I can make the air fryer recipe without turning on the oven and heating up the house. Plus, Jack and I are always excited to experiment with air frying. 🙂 If you have any suggestions of what to try next, let me know in the comments!
Air Fryer Zucchini Recipe Ingredients
You only need a handful of ingredients to make these air fryer zucchini chips:
- Zucchini, of course! Look for two medium-sized ones that will have a nice “chip” shape when they’re sliced into rounds. Avoid using particularly large zucchini for this recipe. They’ll be too seedy and watery to make crisp chips.
- An egg – It binds the crispy coating to the sliced zucchini.
- Panko bread crumbs – They give the outside of the zucchini a delicious crunch.
- Almond flour – It adds richness and nutty depth of flavor to the panko coating.
- Parmesan cheese – For cheesy, savory flavor. To make this recipe vegan, use my vegan Parmesan instead of regular cheese, and replace the egg with 1/4 cup plant milk mixed with 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed.
- Extra-virgin olive oil – You’ll drizzle it over the zucchini chips before placing them in the air fryer. It makes them extra-flavorful and crisp!
- And salt and pepper – To make all the flavors pop.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
First, slice the zucchini into 1/4-inch rounds, and pat them dry.
When you finish cutting the zucchini, mix together the panko, almond flour, Parmesan, and salt and pepper in a medium bowl, and beat the egg in a small bowl. Bread each zucchini slice by dipping it in the egg, followed by the panko mixture.
Place the breaded zucchini slices on a plate, drizzle them with olive oil, and cook!
Air Fryer Zucchini Chips Recipe Tips
- Drizzle them with olive oil. The olive oil is essential for helping the air fryer zucchini chips brown as they cook, and it makes them taste more rich and flavorful. Whatever you do, don’t skip it! You’ll still use way less oil than you would if you were deep frying the zucchini.
- Don’t crowd the air fryer. An air fryer works by constantly circulating hot air around whatever you’re cooking – in this case, zucchini chips. In order for them to become crisp and browned, the air needs to be able to contact them on all sides. Make sure to place the chips in a single layer in the air fryer basket, leaving a little space around each one. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches. Resist the temptation to crowd the air fryer. If you do, your chips will be soggy! P.S. I like this Instant Pot Air Fryer.
- Eat them right away. These zucchini chips are best when they’re freshly cooked – crisp on the outside, juicy in the middle, and still hot from the air fryer. I recommend eating them right away, as they start to soften if they sit around.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
Devour them on their own as a snack, or serve them as a side dish with a larger meal. Like my air fryer French fries, they’re a great accompaniment for a veggie burger or sandwich. They’d be fantastic with any of these recipes:
- Easy Black Bean Burger
- Best Veggie Burger
- Portobello Mushroom Burger
- Quinoa Burger
- Caprese Sandwich
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
More Favorite Snacks and Sides
If you love these air fried zucchini chips, try one of these fun snacks or sides next:
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Homemade Soft Pretzels
- Jalapeño Poppers
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Homemade Taquitos
- Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
- Preheat the air fryer to 370°F.
- Use a clean kitchen towel to pat dry the zucchini and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg. In a medium bowl, combine the panko, almond flour, Parmesan, salt, and several grinds of pepper.
- Dip the zucchini slices into the egg and then into the panko mixture. Place on a plate as you work and then drizzle the slices with olive oil. Place in a single layer in the air fryer and air fry for 11 to 13 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown.
- Serve immediately (they’ll become less crispy as they sit) with marinara for dipping, if desired.