While my earlier guide may have been my holiday wishlist, this is it’s more practical sister, the reality-list. These are the things I have in my own kitchen that I use pretty darn often. If you’re new to cooking, or know someone whose moving into their first home or apartment, this might be a good place to start: (links below)
1. Le Parfait Jars : my favorite jars for storing grains in the pantry. Air tight.
2. Whisks, set of 3 : because inevitably one is in the dishwasher.
3. Basic Colander : can’t go wrong with simple stainless.
4. Shun Chef’s Knife : you don’t need a knife set, just one good knife will do.
5. Bamboo Steamer : steam veggies, dumplings, etc. Fun & fry-free.
6. Julienne Peeler : gadget of the year? Makes easy veggie noodles.
7. Wooden Spoons : set of 3, because I know I will lose one.
8. Microplane Grater (or this kind) : grate cheese, garlic, lemon zest, etc.
9. Mini Food Processor : my most used appliance because it’s small & convenient
10. Le Creuset Dutch Oven, 3 1/2 quart, or 5 1/2 quart : soup’s on!
11. Boos Cutting Board : if you have a good knife, invest in a good board
12. Measuring Spoons : for those few times I actually measure (kidding).
13. Mini Prep Bowls : the more the merrier.
14. Mini Mandoline : I like this one because it’s easy to store and dishwasher safe.
15. Vitamix Blender : a must-have for the creamiest vegan soups & sauces.
16. Measuring Cups : a kitchen basic
17. Cast Iron Skillet, 8-inch or 12-inch : will last a lifetime