This is my favorite winter salad. Although I use the term “winter” lightly, because it sure is almost 70 degrees here. The sun is shining and my windows and doors are open… the dogs are playing in the yard… overall a perfect a friday afternoon. It’s 20 and snowing in my hometown Chicago and I couldn’t be more grateful that I live here in Austin where the season for happy hour margaritas on a patio is just around the corner.
If it’s cold where you are, hopefully this colorful, juicy, creamy, crunchy salad will brighten your day.
- 4-6 red beets
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 grapefruit
- handful of pistachios, toasted
- salad greens of your choice, a few handfuls per plate
- drizzle of olive oil
- pinches of salt
- (you could also add some goat cheese)
- Wash beets (you don't need to peel them yet), drizzle with a little olive oil, wrap in foil and roast in a 400 degree oven for 35-60 minutes. Remove them from the oven when they're fork tender.
- Once your beets are cool to the touch, peel them (the skin should slide off easily using your fingers) and slice into 1 inch wedges. Sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and set aside.
- Slice out the segments of your grapefruit, reserving some of the juice to drizzle over the salad at the end. Chop avocado into cubes and toast (and salt) pistachios.
- Assemble salad greens, beets, grapefruit segments, avocado and pistachios. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, and some of the reserved grapefruit juice. Salt and pepper to taste.