I was originally planning to post this recipe in October, but we finished it early and I just couldn’t wait. Fall or not, these cookies are SO good! Oats, pumpkin, cinnamon, spices, and chocolate baked into big pillowy cookies – what’s not to love? These babies are vegan, gluten free, and will be so perfect for lunch boxes because they’re nut-free(!) as well.
I know so many of you have asked how to make these carrot cookies without nuts. That recipe really needs the almond butter to bind them but THIS recipe holds together beautifully because pumpkin puree is a terrific binder. It’s also easier than grating carrots which means that you’ll make these so much more often, but I’m warning you – they’ll disappear even faster.
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal
- 2½ tablespoons warm water
- 2¼ cups gluten free whole rolled oats, or 2 cups oat flour
- 1 cup gluten free whole rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup cane or coconut sugar
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips* (see note)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed and water. Stir and set aside to thicken.
- Use a food processor or a blender to process the 2¼ cups rolled oats into a fine flour and measure out 2 cups.
- In a large bowl, combine the oat flour, whole oats, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin, sugar, coconut oil and vanilla. Add the thickened flaxseed mixture and stir to incorporate.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips. Use a large cookie scoop to drop dollops of the cookie dough onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before cooling completely on a wire rack. When cookies are completely cool, they can be stored in an airtight container or frozen.