Stop what you’re doing right now and – wherever you live – go search out a CSA or local farm delivery in your area. Ok, that sounded pushy, but really, you’ll thank me later! Here are a few reasons why:
1. You will support small farmers in your community… and your vegetables will be tastier because everything is better in season.
2. You will learn how to become a creative cook, rather than a recipe cook, which means you’ll spend less time and money at the grocery store.
3. You’ll become super impressed with yourself when you first learn how to whip something up out of “nothing.”
4. It’ll feel like Christmas morning when you get something unexpected and amazing like this super bright orange cauliflower.
5. Your husband will be happy that this farm cauliflower inspired the idea for “cheesy” mac… something that wasn’t planned or editorially scheduled, yet somehow manifested itself onto our dinner table.
We made a vegan and cheddar cheese version of this creamy cauliflower sauce… and even Jack admitted that they both turned out pretty darn similar (although don’t tell him I said that). Pictured above is the vegan version, which I slightly un-veganized by adding a little bit of parmesan cheese on top. Whichever way you go – this is a lighter healthier mac thanks to the cauliflower that’s the star of the sauce. (And, of course, you can use regular white cauliflower if that’s what you have).
This vibrant cauliflower comes from Farmhouse Delivery here in Austin (I’ve been getting their bushels for years). If you live here in town or in Houston, definitely check them out!
Go to the recipe “cauliflower mac & cheese”…