First things first – if you’ve had trouble using our site in the past few days, everything is fixed now! The recipe index works again, and so does the contact page… so if you’re still there – THANK YOU for bearing with us!!
Technical issues aside, the book countdown continues – it’s out in just 10 days! This is one of our favorite dinner recipes in the book, but I’m not only sharing the recipe – you can also order the ingredients conveniently pre-measured and delivered to you from The Purple Carrot! This recipe (adapted to be completely vegan) will go out in their boxes starting March 27th… cool huh? Order it now using the code LEMONS25 for $25 off your first box!
What’s the Purple Carrot, you ask? It’s an entirely vegan meal delivery service. They deliver pre-measured ingredients that are responsibly sourced, often organic, and always non-GMO. The recipes (except this one) are created by Mark Bittman… plant-based cooking super star and author of so many of my favorite cookbooks – VB6, How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, and The Food Matters Cookbook, to name a few.
This recipe was inspired by a reader who wrote me (about a year ago!) and said that she thought that this recipe for Many-Veggie Vegetable Soup – with its sweet stewed carrots, tomatoes and other “many” vegetables – would make a delicious rich pasta primavera sauce. Soon after that, I tried it and we loved it so much that it made it into the book. So thanks, Rachel, here it is, hope it was worth the wait!!
Order this meal from The Purple Carrot and use the code LEMONS25 to get $25 off your first box!
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 1½ cups (375 mL) chopped carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon (1 mL) red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup (60 mL) dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 can (14.5 ounces/411 g) diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces (125 g) tagliatelle pasta
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped kale leaves
- ½ cup (125 mL) cooked cannellini beans
- ¼ cup (60 mL) pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) capers
- Chopped chives or other herbs (basil, parsley, etc.)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the carrots, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and another few pinches of salt. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the white wine. Stir and let the wine cook off until it’s nearly evaporated, about 30 seconds. Add the balsamic vinegar and tomatoes. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare the pasta according to the instructions on the package, cooking until al dente. Drain the pasta.
- Stir the chopped kale into the sauce and let it wilt down, about 1 minute. Add the pasta, cannellini beans, pine nuts, capers, and chives or herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Gluten free option: Use brown rice tagliatelle.
Photos 2-4 by: Signe Birck