heirloom caprese w/ mint pesto

heirloom caprese with mint pesto / @loveandlemonsheirloom caprese with mint pesto / @loveandlemons

And the season of simple recipes continues…

“What are you going to do with these?” asked the farm-stand man as I was fixating on these 3 gorgeous golden tomatoes. This question always flusters me… I should have an answer, but truthfully, I buy things on a whim and usually decide what to make later. And in this case, these tomatoes were so spectacular that knew I wasn’t going to “do” much.

heirloom caprese with mint pesto / @loveandlemons

“Um… I’m probably just going to slice and eat them…” He looked at me with a huge grin as if I had just given the right answer. I could tell he was pleased that his tomatoes would be heading to a good home. Then he told me they would be perfect tomorrow, but only tomorrow.

This is what I love about summer.

heirloom caprese with mint pesto / @loveandlemons

Here’s the plate of beautiful sliced tomatoes that we enjoyed last Sunday night… elevated (just slightly) with slices of fresh mozzarella and a bright mint pesto.

A little pesto goes a long way – save the extra for simple meals throughout the week. If you make this tag #loveandlemons or @loveandlemons on Instagram!

heirloom caprese w/ mint pesto

Yield: serves 2-3 as an appetizer

heirloom caprese w/ mint pesto

• 2 large heirloom tomatoes
  • 1 ball of fresh mozzarella
  • salt & pepper
  • optional - red pepper flakes & sprouts for garnish
  • mint pesto: (this makes extra)
  • a huge handful of mint
  • a few basil leaves
  • 1 small garlic clove
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts
  • juice & zest of 1 small lemon
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup olive oil
  • salt & pepper

1. In a small food processor, blend together the mint, basil, garlic, pine nuts, lemon, salt and pepper. Drizzle in the olive oil until and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.
  2. Slice tomatoes and cheese and arrange on a plate. Season with salt and pepper, then drizzle pesto over the top.
  3. Store extra pesto in the fridge.

Notes

vegan option: Skip the cheese and just drizzle tomatoes with pesto. Or try sliced avocado in place of the cheese.

Plate: Anthropologie

1. The yellow and green colors are stunning here. I love this mint pest too!

thanks! I was worried it would look plain w/ red, but sometimes less is more!

2. Tamara from saltofthehearth.com on said:

Beautiful photography as usual! Looks delicious :-)

3. Eileen from hampiesandwiches.blogspot.com on said:

Yes! Just slicing and eating tomatoes is one of my favorite summer activities. :) I love the idea of a mint pesto with this classic caprese!

me too :)

4. Jen from oh-honeypie.com on said:

Dude! I was thinking of doing a caprese salad tonight and I wanted to jazz it up while keeping it simple and fresh, mint pesto is genius. Making this :D

ha, great minds… :)

5. Aww that man at the farmers market sounds so nice! I love when they tell you exactly what you need to know! I’m all about simple this summer as well. Definitely trying this!

6. SO gorgeous! LOVE the yellow maters :) Mint + basil is one of my very favorite combinations this Summer. This is lovely—pinned!

7. Anna from vintageveggie.blogspot.com on said:

All I have to say is: GENIUS. And the yellow is so surprising and beautiful.

8. fern reed from f on said:

I love this, it is my kind of food!!!

9. Celia Becker from AfterOrangeCounty.com on said:

Mint Pesto, YUM! I can’t wait to try this!

10. I just received a bunch of fresh mint and basil in my CSA box. I should try making this pesto!

11. meg from liquidsunshineak.com on said:

Amaze. Love it!
    Just need to get my hands on some good tomatoes (a challenge here in Alaska)!

12. This is hands down the most gorgeous caprese. If I had to sum summer up in one dish, it’s this one! yum!

13. Jennifer B. from thefoodiepatootie.com on said:

I love caprese salad and you’re right – it’s best to not do much to them, especially when you have gorgeous tomatoes like these involved. Beautiful photos, per usual.

14. Jenn on said:

Everything you make is just amazingly, luxuriously gorgeous. I don’t know what I want to do more – eat it or just keep staring at it!

ha, thanks!

15. PassTheKnife from passtheknife.com on said:

I’ve never tried a mint pesto before, I bet it is wonderful on a caprese. Your photos are just stunning, great job!

16. Caitlin from teaspoonsf.com on said:

the mint pesto sounds like a wonderful addition! gotta love the farmer’s market :) they are always so nice and the beautiful produce you can get always makes me happy.

17. Pingback: Fascinating Friday Links #40 + Yesterday | Daily Moves and Grooves

18. Pingback: Caprese salad: learn the history and traditional recipe - Swide

19. Pingback: Weekend Things - The Corner Kitchen

20. I just picked up some lovely heirloom tomatoes yesterday, and they would be fantastic in this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

thanks Ellie!

21. Pingback: Present Sense Impressions | Order in the Kitchen

22. michelle from lovely-little-things.blogspot.com on said:

looks sublime!

23. Courtney d on said:

I made this for dinner last night for my meat-and-potatoes husband. It was so delicious! He especially loved the pesto and said he’d have it again some time. Thanks!

24. Pingback: I’m Loving… | The Dreamery