And the season of simple recipes continues…
“What are you going to do with these?” asked the farm-stand man as I was fixating on these 3 gorgeous golden tomatoes. This question always flusters me… I should have an answer, but truthfully, I buy things on a whim and usually decide what to make later. And in this case, these tomatoes were so spectacular that knew I wasn’t going to “do” much.
“Um… I’m probably just going to slice and eat them…” He looked at me with a huge grin as if I had just given the right answer. I could tell he was pleased that his tomatoes would be heading to a good home. Then he told me they would be perfect tomorrow, but only tomorrow.
This is what I love about summer.
Here’s the plate of beautiful sliced tomatoes that we enjoyed last Sunday night… elevated (just slightly) with slices of fresh mozzarella and a bright mint pesto.
A little pesto goes a long way – save the extra for simple meals throughout the week. If you make this tag #loveandlemons or @loveandlemons on Instagram!
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1 ball of fresh mozzarella
- salt & pepper
- optional - red pepper flakes & sprouts for garnish
- a huge handful of mint
- a few basil leaves
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- juice & zest of 1 small lemon
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper
- In a small food processor, blend together the mint, basil, garlic, pine nuts, lemon, salt and pepper. Drizzle in the olive oil until and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Slice tomatoes and cheese and arrange on a plate. Season with salt and pepper, then drizzle pesto over the top.
- Store extra pesto in the fridge.
vegan option: Skip the cheese and just drizzle tomatoes with pesto. Or try sliced avocado in place of the cheese.