anna’s gazpacho

Anna's tomato gazpacho with mango and cucumber

You didn’t think I’d talk about all of the food from our Yellow Table dinner party without sharing a recipe did you?

We don’t do many guest posts on this site, so today I’m excited to share this (literal!) guest recipe. We had so much fun hosting Anna for the weekend, we couldn’t help but snap some photos in our kitchen while she prepped for dinner. This gazpacho was SO delicious (and also super easy) – I absolutely needed the recipe.

It was the perfect cold soup for a hot Texas evening. Trust me, you’re going to want to make this one all summer long…

Anna's tomato gazpacho with mango and cucumber Anna's tomato gazpacho with mango and cucumber

It starts with some gorgeous peak-season tomatoes that we picked up that morning at the farmers market. She added them to the blender with cucumbers, cilantro, red onion, and olive oil (among other things). I was surprised how few ingredients she used to create such a rich creamy flavor. (It actually brought me back to this one that I had a few years ago on a beach in Spain).

Anna's tomato gazpacho with mango and cucumber

Her special twist? Garnishes of sweet cherry tomatoes, diced cucumber and diced mango – yum!

This recipe, (and the others from the party), are all in The Yellow Table Cookbook. You’re going to want a copy of your own, but you’ll need to pre-order it on her Kickstarter page to help make it happen! Click over now to help a fellow food blogger out…

And special thanks to Anna for the recipe!

tomato gazpacho with mango & cucumber

Yield: serves 6-8

tomato gazpacho with mango & cucumber

Recipe by: Anna Watson Carl, from The Yellow Table Cookbook

• 2 large English cucumbers, seeded
  • 5 lbs. ripe red tomatoes, cored and cut into chunks
  • ½ small red onion (about ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • ¾ cup cilantro leaves, divided
  • ¼ cup red wine vinegar
  • ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • Salt and pepper
  • for garnish:
  • ½ cup finely diced mango
  • ½ cup yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
  • ½ cup red cherry tomatoes, halved

1. Finely chop ¼ of a cucumber and reserve for garnish. Peel the remaining cucumber and cut into chunks; place in a large bowl. Add in the tomatoes (and juices), ¼ cup red onion, garlic, ½ cup of cilantro leaves, red wine vinegar, and olive oil, stirring to combine. Season generously with salt and pepper.
  2. Place half of the mixture in a blender or Vitamix and blend until as smooth as possible. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer, and repeat with the remaining tomato mixture.
  3. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary (I usually find it needs more salt).
  4. Place the mixture in the refrigerator and let chill, covered, for at least 2 hours.
  5. Serve in bowls, garnished with the remaining cucumber, red onion, cilantro, mango, red and yellow cherry tomatoes, and a drizzle of olive oil.

it was so fun!

1. PassTheKnife from Www.passtheknife.com on said:

Gorgeous soup for the summertime! I think I’ll make some this week!

2. I can’t wait to try this soon! Not quite tomato season yet here in Michigan. This looks so pretty and refreshing.

3. What a delightfully refreshing soup – perfect for our just now ripening garden tomatoes. Heading over the to Kickstarter now… :)

4. Oh my goodness what a gorgeous soup! I love the mango in the garnish as well. Perfect.

5. OMG this is just gorgeous!!! That color is to die for! I will for sure be trying this one.

thanks beth :)

6. Jennifer B. from thefoodiepatootie.com on said:

YUM! Looks insanely delicious. By the way, I’m the reader who commented on your pickled chard stems post and said I bought rainbow chard specifically for your recipe. I made it, and it was awesome. Thanks!

oh I’m so glad you liked them! So nice of you to report back :)

7. I was really hoping you’d share her gazpacho recipe but I wasn’t expecting it either, since it came from her cookbook. So what a pleasant surprise! Love the mango in it and I can’t wait to make this once I’m home!

it’s SO good – I just loved the mango addition!

• I made this yesterday, and it’s probably the best gazpacho I’ve had. I love the topping too – the crunchy texture and the added sweetness of the mango is a perfect contrast and compliment to the soup.

Hi Katie, so glad to hear!

8. What a gorgeous soup! I love the garnishes on this one as well. I need my gazpacho to be a little chunky, this one looks perfect!

9. A Golden Tulip from agoldentulip.blogspot.com on said:

Wow..this looks yum… very inspiring place this one, gotta visit often.

xo

10. such a beautiful looking gazpacho…i absolutely love how it looks and will definitely be trying it this summer.

11. This looks delicious. I’m such a soup person, but I’ve never actually had gazpacho. Definitely want to try it!

12. Cate from catesthill.com on said:

I will have to try this! I never thought of putting mango in a gazpacho but I guess it would bring out the sweetness of the tomatoes. I’m surprised there was no green or red peppers.

13. Pang from circahappy.com on said:

Because of your post, I went over to pledge for this project, and will be receive my own The Yellow Table Cookbook soon enough. I can’t be happier to be able to support someone’s dream. Thank you so much for letting all of us be aware of this project, Jeanine. You (& Jack) are truly a wonderful person. :)

aw, thanks Pang!

14. Pingback: July 4: Greato Minds Think Alike! | leighto-greato

15. Pingback: Links I Want to Eat: 4th of July! | A Girl Named Allyn

16. Lindsay from sophiesfavors.com on said:

Yum..this looks sooooo good!

17. Pingback: Love and Food | Zest for Life Wellness

18. Laura on said:

Wonderful pictures and recipes. Thank you!

19. Pingback: Dinner Party #5: A Backyard BBQ with Love & Lemons in Austin | The Yellow Table

20. Pingback: Links der Woche | Foodlovin'

21. stephanie from iamafoodblog.com on said:

i’m in love with your kitchen. can i come live in the cupboard?! :)

ha :).

22. Brian on said:

I made this using my Vitamix for a potluck dinner this weekend and it was the STAR of the party. It was like amazing velvety vegetable deliciousness. So fantastic. I added an additional step of reblending in the Vitamix after getting all the soup through the mesh sieve which made it just a touch more smooth and creamy. And don’t leave out the mango! It’s a fruity surprise flavor as a topping.

23. Pingback: Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho with Mango & Cucumber | The Yellow Table