pickled chard stems

pickled chard stems / loveandlemons.com pickled chard stems / loveandlemons.com

Eat the rainbow, (and no I’m not talking about Skittles). I just love chard and I love it’s crunchy colorful stems. Although, very often, I end up with a lot of extra stem pieces. They’re way too pretty to toss so I’ve started pickling them.┬áDon’t worry, this isn’t a Sunday afternoon project, these are super quick refrigerator pickles. (i.e. the kind I have patience for).

pickled chard stems / loveandlemons.com

You could slice yours into long spears, but I chop mine up (they pickle quicker that way), and them I eat them Japanese Tsukemono style – as a simple condiment with rice (or any grain), and a few vegetables.

They’re tangy and a little bit sweet – a bright little pop of color and flavor!

pickled chard stems / loveandlemons.com

pickled chard stems

Yield: 1 cup

pickled chard stems

• about 1 cup chopped chard stems (any color)
  • salt
  • 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons raw cane sugar
  • optional - 1/2 a sliced shallot
  • optional - a few pink peppercorns

1. Chop your chard stems and sprinkle them with salt. Set aside.
  2. Toast the brown mustard seeds in a small saucepan for a minute or so (don't let them burn). Add the vinegars and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat and let the brine cool.
  3. Place the chopped stems and sliced shallot in a jar, cover them with the brine and refrigerate overnight before eating them.
  4. I like to top mine on salads or in rice (or quinoa) bowls.

adapted from bonappetit.com

1. Love this idea! We don’t have kale available most of the year here in Switzerland. Chard on the other hand is abundant, so I think this is such a great way to make the most of the whole plant!

• Danni on said:

Agreed!

• Small yard on said:

I only have a few chard plants, so I only trim what I need for a meal. Does this resipe preserve the crunch of the stems? Or will it be fine if I use my now limp bunch of stems?

they stay pretty crunchy, the stems I used were pretty fresh.

2. Ileana from alittlesaffron.com on said:

Those really are the prettiest pickles! Brilliant idea.

3. We grow so much swiss chard at our farm and I have never thought to pickle the stems. You are a genius and I cannot wait to do this! Thanks for such a simple and easy pickle recipe!

4. molly yeh from mynameisyeh.com on said:

oh man these are PRETTY!

5. Jona from zeelemons.com on said:

So pretty! I’m gonna have to try this over the summer months- thanks!

6. Kale is overrated in my opinion. Chard is so much more delicate. These look beautiful. Nice thing to have in the fridge for summer afternoon whiskey drinking :0.

7. Dominika on said:

As far as kale, spinach, romano lettuce are higher in calcium; romano lettuce, broccoli, brussel sprouts, peas and string peas are higher in folic acid and potassium than mr kale :) so… yup, next time we reach for kale in the market, let’s change the direction a little bit :) Pickles look so yummy! Need them in my lunch salad mix asap :D

8. Felicia on said:

Would love to try this idea, but cannot eat processed sugar. Do you think I could use another sweetner? Honey? Agave? Would it work the same?

I’ve used honey and agave before – it’s not exactly the same but close enough :)

• Felicia on said:

thanks!

9. I never would have thought of pickling the stems but it makes so much sense! I’ll have to try this next time I buy chard

10. Eileen from hampiesandwiches.blogspot.com on said:

This is such a great idea! I usually end up either cooking my chard stems along with the greens or throwing them into the freezer to save for vegetable stock, but pickles? YES. Must try!

11. These sound absolutely refreshing and summery!! I love the colors, of course, but the taste must be outstanding! The vinegar with the pepper, Love!!

12. Kathleen from hapanom.com on said:

Rainbow chard is one of my favorite veggies! This recipes looks delicious – can’t wait to try it!

13. Chef Pri from recipris.com on said:

I love the colors in this recipe!!

14. Kathryne from cookieandkate.com on said:

I’ve never seen prettier pickles! Love how you’ve preserved those gorgeous stems for later. Really smart!

15. Lisa from theveganpact.com on said:

simply beautiful!

16. Alise from VogueVegetarian.com on said:

I love chard more than anything but I always hate throwing the stems away. This is a GREAT idea. Thank you! Do you know how long these should last in the refrigerator?

They’ll last awhile – with all the vinegar they won’t really go bad… I usually make a small-ish batch and eat them within a week.

17. Sara from knotmydayjob.blogspot.com on said:

Whooo, that seems right up my alley. My garden chard is still teeny-tiny though- it’s been not quite warm in the UK this Spring. I’m bookmarking this for when I have too much to know what to do with. Cheers!

18. amanda from easylittletiger.com on said:

um what? this looks awesome! i usually saute my stems and then add the leaves but this sounds way yummier.

I usually do that too – sometimes the stems are so thick and I still end up with a ton extra :)

19. Pang from circahappy.com on said:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe!!!!! I have been wondering myself about how to do something with that pretty colourful stems, and then you came to save the day :)
    This would be SO GOOD with some Thai dish I want to make later; I am so gonna link back to your blog :D

20. Christina from Www.butimhungry.com on said:

These look awesome! I tried a recipe for pickled chard stems last summer that was pretty much a disaster, but these might be giving it another go!

21. This looks so pretty that I had to share it! I need to make this soon.

22. The stems are my favorite part of the chard, but I’m afraid I’m in the minority. This will give my CSA and farm market customers another good way to utilize fresh, local veggies. Thanks so much!

23. Mary on said:

Is there anything I could use to substitute for brown mustard seeds? I try to avoid investing in spices I’d rarely use – of course I understand if it’s necessary, but thought I would ask!

you can skip them, they’re not essential. (although I buy mine in the bulk section – a cheap way to try new spices!)

24. This rainbow chard is absolutely goregous! Thank you for featuring such a wonderfully simple dish that I can make in abundance and keep for a few weeks! I want to put this on a veggie burger!

25. Halo Cig on said:

You are so cool! I do not suppose I’ve read through anything
    like that before. So good to discover another person with some unique thoughts on this topic.
    Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This website is one thing that’s needed on the internet, someone
    with some originality!

26. Pingback: happy weekend! » hk in love.

27. Pingback: spring quinoa bowls | Love and Lemons

28. Pingback: Links: Pickles, Rhubarb, and Winners | Food in JarsFood in Jars

29. Ashley from edibleperspective.com on said:

Gorgeous! And what a great idea!

30. Pingback: Annual Guide to Schools » pickled chard quinoa bowls

31. Pingback: Annual Guide to Schools » pickled chard stems

32. Susan G from wellseasoned.com.au on said:

I am a massive fan of Japanese Breakfast – but generally leave out the pickled vegetables, but these are so pretty! I’m making them right away – yum!

33. Pingback: This week on the… | Tangerine Canteen

34. bellarubiaca on said:

Made the pickled Swiss Chard Stems the other day…delicious!

so glad you liked them!

35. Jennifer B on said:

I bought rainbow chard for the first time today solely because of this recipe and your blog. Bring on the pickling!

ha – hope you enjoy!