almond-ella spread

almond-ella spread (vegan, gluten free) / loveandlemons.com

Everyone loves nutella right? I love it as much as the next person, but I don’t love all of the unhealthy ingredients that are in it. This almond chocolate spread, (almond-ella is what I’m calling it), is just as creamy and delicious. It’s super easy and just 3 ingredients: almond butter, chocolate, and (the secret to it’s smooth texture), coconut oil.

almond-ella spread (vegan, gluten free) / loveandlemons.com almond-ella spread (vegan, gluten free) / loveandlemons.com

Melt everything together, pour it into a jar. It’ll firm up and set as it cools, (if you can wait that long). Slather it on toasted bread and top it with your favorite fruit.

Udi's Gluten Free Millet Chia Bread

Many of you have asked me to recommend gluten free bread products that I like. One of my favorites is Udi’s Millet-Chia Bread. You can find it in the frozen bread section at Whole Foods (and other similar stores). I’ve been buying it long before they sent it to me for this post. (See my typical lunch).

almond-ella spread (vegan, gluten free) / loveandlemons.com

But wait, there’s more – today’s recipe was created for Udi’s “What the Hack” competition. Create your own gluten free clever “hack” recipe and enter to win $3,000. (Plus, everyone who enters gets an Udi’s coupon). Hop on over to their website to view the rules and enter!

almond-ella spread

Serves: makes about 1 cup
  • ½ cup creamy almond butter
  • ½ cup dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (around 50% cacao)
  • 1.5 tablespoons coconut oil
other ingredients:
  1. Combine the almond butter, chocolate, and coconut oil in a medium glass bowl. Make a double boiler by placing the glass bowl over a smaller pot filled with simmering water. Stir often, as the chocolate slowly melts. Once the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth, remove the bowl from heat.
  2. Let the spread cool and set (at room temp, or pop it in the fridge for a little bit). Slather generously onto slices of Udi’s Millet Chia Bread. Top with strawberries and coconut flakes, or any toppings you like.
  3. Store extra spread at room temperature in an airtight jar.
Notes
Be sure to check the ingredient list of your chocolate if you're vegan and/or gluten free. (I like the Sunspire brand).

Udi's bread is dairy-free but not vegan (it contains egg whites).

udis2

1. Matt Robinson from realfoodbydad.com on said:

So incredibly easy! My 7 year old loves nutella sandwiches after school, so this is perfect and I will definitely try it

2. Sini from myblueandwhitekitchen.com on said:

What an amazing recipe! Can’t wait to try it.

3. That’s delicious and so easy! I can’t wait to try it!

4. This is such an easy little sweet treat and would make for quite an enjoyable and substantial snack. Great idea!

5. What a great idea! I can already think of a million ways to use this spread. Thanks!

6. Emma from coconutandberries.com on said:

Those pictures have me drooling! A little coconut oil is the way to go- I use a touch in my carob-hazelnut butter and it really smooths it out. Heavenly.

7. Thanks for the Whole Foods shoutout, Jeanine! Sharing this out from all my accounts. Looks delicious :)

8. So I shouldn’t worry about eating the entire jar, right? Will probably make this this weekend! I’ll tag you in the instagram :) x

I’m not gonna lie – I’ve nearly eaten this whole jar, one spoonful at a time :)

9. Amanda on said:

I wonder if this could be made with powdered cocao and a little more coconut oil?

10. Teffy Perk from teffyperk.com on said:

Eeermagawwwd that looks so so good!
    I am a huge nutella fan, minus all the nasty stuff. I’m also a huge almond butter fan. The two together are a match made in heaven!

{Teffy’s Perks} X

11. I am so excited to try this recipe. I love that it’s so simple and is easily made vegan with dairy free chocolate. I have everything at home to make this. Cannot wait!

12. This is exactly what I’ve been looking for!!! I like nutella and all, but my main complaint is the amount of sugar. I’ve been wanting to come up with a less sweet homemade version but had been stalling because I didn’t think my blender would process nuts smoothly enough. Almond butter, duh! Thanks for the tip, I’ll be trying this very soon!

I hadn’t gotten around to grinding my own almonds easier – it’s so much quicker and easier with already-made almond butter :)

13. Kaysha Comfort from thatcomfortgirl.com on said:

I’m totally obsessed with almond butter and am a huge fan of Nutella as well, duh! who isn’t!?! I just don’t buy it often, because of all the crap that is in it. So needless to say, you, my dear – have answered my prayers! Problem solved!
    Thanks for sharing!

That Comfort Girl

ha, you’re welcome, hope you enjoy!

14. YES!!! This is brilliant!! Love it. Mmmm now I am craving this like crazy.

15. Serena from theherbdiaries.com on said:

Such a good idea (much easier than blending your nuts) and looks delicious. Do you think it would be as good with raw cacao powder to try and avoid using processed chocolate??

I know, I was lazy :). You could try it – it might take a few tries to get the right ratio for the right consistency. (and then you might want to add some kind of sweetener).

16. LOVE IT! What a great recipe! I like having control on what goes into my belly but it’s hard to cut out the junk completely. How long do you think it will keep ?

I’ve had mine on my countertop for 4 days so far… I’m thinking it’ll last about a week (although ours will probably get eaten before then).

17. Love this recipe! Can’t wait to give it a whirl!

18. Ashley from edibleperspective.com on said:

I actually don’t like nutella at all, so this has a TON of appeal to me. Also, love Udi’s breads!

19. Pang from circahappy.com on said:

i can’t believe this is happening!!!! i was in the grocery store last week contemplating whether to buy/succumb to another Nutella even though I knew some ingredients were not healthy. i did not buy it, and recently i experienced “Nutella withdraw” symptom until I found your post. Yay!!!!! Thank you..Thank you..Thank you..

20. Katie from wellvegan.com on said:

This looks amazing and so simple! My little ones are going to love it :)

21. Donna from thehangingspoon.com on said:

Never would have thought of trying the millet-chia bread but I saw it at Whole Foods yesterday and remembered this post and thought I’d give it a try! Delicious! Now I can’t wait to try the Almond-ella recipe! Thanks so much!

ha – glad you liked it!

22. Pingback: TGIF: Picnic ideas and more… | The Yellow Table

23. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is

24. Pingback: Leah’s Link Loves and Taste of the Nation Atlanta Pictures | Georgia Peach On My Mind

25. I love the simplicity of this recipe! I’m never without any of those ingredients, so it might just be a nice little weekend project. Yum! I’m making this!

26. Pingback: weekend wishes |

27. love love this almond spread!! Healthy and just perfect!

28. Pingback: Sunday Foodie Likes

29. Pingback: well, hello monday… |

30. Pingback: Whatever Works » Blog Archive Links I Love #12

31. Pingback: Homemade Almond Chocolate Spread “Everyone loves nutella right?… | Opinionated Beauty

32. Erika W on said:

Sounds delicious, and I think I have all ingredients on hand :)

33. molly yeh from mynameisyeh.com on said:

i just made this. omg it is so good. i fear there won’t be any left for my brunch guests tomorrow….

34. Pingback: Annual Guide to Schools » almond-ella spread

35. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Almond Spread | flavorrd

36. ashley on said:

Just made this! It’s AMAZING! Does not taste like nutella, but it has a delicious chocolate, nutty taste. Thanks for the great recipe!

so glad you liked it :)

37. Pingback: WEEK END LOVES #29 | Be. Get. See. I All the beautiful things

38. Pingback: Hazelnut Milk Ice Cream ‹ Heart + Bowl

39. PassTheKnife from passtheknife.com on said:

A great idea, I want to make it with peanut butter too!

40. Pingback: *~Vegan breakfast ideas~* banana crumb muffins freezer friendly… | VeganBlog.org

41. Pingback: a breakfast club is my fave | You Are My Fave

42. Renee from growthandglitter.com on said:

LOVE love love! Almonds save my life daily and this is going in an emergency kit somewhere! Thanks for this!

43. Pingback: Homemade Nutella - Two Places at Once