dukkah spiced yogurt dip

dukkah spiced yogurt dip / loveandlemons.com

I recently contributed this dukkah recipe to Food 52’s Small Batch series. When they first suggested it, I had to look up how to (authentically) make it. It turns out — there’s no one way. The word dukkah literally means “to pound” and it generally consists of hazelnuts, sesame seeds and a few whole dried spices. To me, this was the perfect opportunity to use up the nuts and spices I had just cleaned out of my pantry shelves. (Specifically, the ones that didn’t fit when I transferred them from little bags to little jars).

dukkah spiced yogurt dip / loveandlemons.com

Along with the hazelnuts I had been hoarding, I toasted and crushed: pistachios, sesame seeds, coriander, dried orange peel and dried cilantro, and dried peppercorns. (Feel free to change up this combination using ingredients you happen to have).

dukkah spiced yogurt dip / loveandlemons.com dukkah spiced yogurt dip / loveandlemons.com

It’s a great little spice mix to keep on hand (it’ll keep for awhile!). I sprinkled it over greek yogurt and served it with pita chips. It’s a super delicious snack, not to mention a great make-ahead throw-together appetizer.

dukkah spiced yogurt dip

• 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • yogurt dip:
  • greek yogurt
  • olive oil
  • squeeze of lemon
  • pinches of salt

1. Using a small, dry skillet over low heat, toast the hazelnuts for a few minutes, until fragrant. Next, add the pistachios and the coriander and toast for a few minutes more. Next add the sesame seeds, peppercorns, and orange peel. Toast those for one minute more, then remove the skillet from the heat, mix in the dried cilantro, and add a few pinches of salt.
  2. Let the mixture cool, then crush it in a mortar and pestle or pulse it in a food processor. Instead of letting the mixture turn into a paste, stop mixing when it’s still a dry crumble.
  3. Mix greek yogurt with salt and a bit of lemon juice. Sprinkle dukkah on top along with a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with toasted pita or pita chips.

Notes

Other uses for dukkah: serve it simply with olive oil and baguette. Toss it with roasted vegetables, or use it to crust meat or fish.

Store in an airtight container at room temp for at least a month.

Gluten free: sub gf corn tortilla chips Vegan: sub vegan yogurt, or skip yogurt and serve with olive oil and bread

1. Frl.Moonstruck from frl-moonstruck-kocht.de on said:

I love Dukah. I never thought of mixing it with yoghurt, but that sounds awesome! I’ll try it! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

2. Jess from lovelyhuckleberry.com on said:

I’ve been “behind the scenes” following your blog for quite awhile now but based on the number of bookmarked recipes, etc., I am officially convinced that I LOVE LOVE LOVE it all. Seriously, one of my top 3 favorite food blogs – the photos are always beautiful and the recipes are very easy to follow. Now, I’m totally adding this one to my to-do list – thanks;)

3. Sam from clarkandschiller.com on said:

Wow, absolutely beautiful! Yogurt is all the rage lately, it seems. I definitely do not get enough use out of my mortar and pestle, so I’m looking forward to checking this out!

4. Maria Tadic from beanafoodie.com on said:

I love dukkah! I just found out about this spice and it’s wonderful! I love the chunkiness of it! The one I have, has almonds in it – delicious! Definitely want to try with pistachios! What a pretty green color!

5. Michelle on said:

I love Dukkah. I take the short cut and purchase the premade one at Trader Joes. My favorite way to use it is to sprinkle it over a toast with avocado.I love this for breakfast.

6. Kathryne from cookieandkate.com on said:

So far, my only dukkah experience has been with the Trader Joe’s version, which I love! Yours looks a million times more flavorful. Can’t wait to try it. P.s. congrats x1000 on the Saveur win! I was so happy to see your name at the top of the list. You deserve it.

7. I haven’t heard of this before. It sounds amazingly flavorful.

8. Kristin from blog.kristinfleming.com on said:

Mmm. This looks so good.

9. Tieghan from halfbakedharvest.com on said:

This sounds so good! Beautiful photos!

10. This looks so yummy and exotic yet uses such simple pantry ingredients, pinning!

11. mrsnumbles on said:

Oh my, that looks lovely – but where on earth did you get the dried orange peel? I’m gonna have to go looking here in London, I bet that added some wonderful flavour…..

It came as a spice set from the J.R Watkins company (pictured in this post: http://www.loveandlemons.com/2013/05/08/spiced-carrot-chickpea-salad/)

I’m thinking fancy spice stores or Whole Foods might have it in their bulk section? If you can’t find it, you can just skip it or maybe even add some fresh zest at the end.

12. Canal Cook from canalcook.wordpress.com on said:

I accidently double bought yoghurt this week, and I have a load of half empty bags of nuts and spices lying around. This couldn’t have been timed better!

13. molly yeh from mynameisyeh.com on said:

i have a little jar of dukkah from trader joe’s sitting in my spice cabinet and every time i look at it, i’m like, well what am i supposed to do with you.

THIS IS WHAT!

14. Oh man, it looks so yummy. Beautiful presentation. Hearing this for the first time. The photo tempts me and I will try it asap.

15. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is

16. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In May | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

17. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In May

18. Pingback: 5月に料理する31のうまいもの | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

19. If some one wants to be updated with latest technologies then he must be visit this website and be
    up to date all the time.

20. Amy from savorypantry.com on said:

We just started carrying dukkah…will have to try this!