spring onion frittata

spring onion fritatta / loveandlemons.com spring onion fritatta / loveandlemons.com

Easter weekend might be a whole week away, but I figure it’s never too soon to start spring brunching with friends. We could call it Friendster—get it? Like “Friendsgiving” but for spring… (and not like the late 90’s social media website). Ok, maybe not. I can hear you groaning through the computer screen.

Hipster holidays aside, I have to talk about this fritatta. I’ve been making fritattas for years but I’d say they were just average (it’s pretty hard to mess them up). This time I’ve gotten it really right and I have a couple of good tips to share.

spring onion fritatta / loveandlemons.com

First thing: blend your eggs in a blender. I’m sure many of you do this already. I, myself, have been lazily ignoring this tip for years thinking my whisking arm strength was enough. But aerating them in the blender is really the trick to a lighter, fluffier fritatta.

Number two: add your fillings in two stages so they don’t all sink to the bottom. I learned this one by accident. (At first, I did this purely as a food styling trick). It not only made my fritatta look prettier, it created a better texture since the veggies were more evenly distributed.

spring onion fritatta / loveandlemons.com

So that’s it – easy and eggy. Happy weekend!

spring onion fritatta

Yield: serves 2-3 as a main course, 4 as a side

spring onion fritatta

• 5 eggs
  • 1/3 cup water or milk
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • olive oil, for the pan
  • 3-4 thin spring onions, chopped small, plus slice a few into thin vertical strips
  • 1/2 cup chopped asparagus tips
  • 1/2 cup peas
  • 1/4 cup fresh mozzarella pieces*
  • 1/4 cup crumbled feta*
  • 1/4 cup chopped tarragon
  • salt & pepper
  • a few pinches of red pepper flakes

1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. In a medium (8-inch) skillet, lightly sauté the chopped onions & asparagus pieces in a bit of olive oil, salt & pepper. Remove from the pan after just a few minutes.
  3. Blend eggs, water, salt and pepper in a blender until combined and lightly foamy.
  4. Wipe out the skillet you used previously and coat it with a bit of olive oil. Pour in the eggs and add half of the veggies. Put the skillet in the oven, and bake for 15 minutes. Then (carefully, without moving the skillet around too much), add the rest of the veggies and the cheeses. Continue to bake for another 15 minutes or until the fritatta is puffed up and the eggs are set.
  5. Top with chopped tarragon, a grind of pepper and a few red pepper flakes. Let cool before slicing.

Notes

*If you're non-dairy, skip the cheese.

As always - sub in whatever veggies you like.

1. Liisa on said:

Is that an 8″ or 10″ skillet?

8 inch – if you use a 10 inch skillet, add at least 2 more eggs.

2. Vicky from traindevie.com.ar on said:

delicious recipe! I´ll do it! have a nice weekend!
    xo

3. Anneli from refreshedandfit.com on said:

Great tips! I haven’t used a blender for my eggs… I’ll try that next time. Also, the layering of ingredients makes sense. Now I’m craving a frittata.

4. Anna from theyellowtable.com on said:

This looks divine! Might have to break my no-eggs-for-breakfast rule! (Or maybe I’ll just make it for Sunday lunch!). xo

5. Oh my, this is just beautiful. I kinda want this for dinner tonight ;) Great recipe.

6. Thankfulness to my father who told me regarding this website,
    this web site is genuinely awesome.

7. I may have to skip my morning smoothie and treat myself to this delicious breakfast! Thanks for the inspiration!

8. Pingback: Avid Inspiration | theavidpen

9. Maria Tadic from beanafoodie.com on said:

I love fritattas! Especially in the spring – good for breakfast or dinner!! And I love the peas in there! A nice pop of sweetness – yummy!

10. Pingback: Five Passover Breakfast Ideas (with Gluten-Free and Vegan options) | Georgia Peach On My Mind

11. maria s from happybelly.org.uk on said:

thats just beautiful

12. How would it be reheated for breakfast? I’d like to make this and be able to grab a slice in the morning.

Hi Kathy, I reheat slices in the microwave – not for long though, you don’t want the eggs to get rubbery. (It’s also pretty good cold). Hope that helps!

13. Debbie from diningwithdebbie.net on said:

Congratulations on your Saveur award — well deserved:)

14. dora from ziripiti.com on said:

love all you photos.
    lovely :)

15. Pingback: Yum, We Love . . .

16. evelyn on said:

if i make this the night before, will it be good the next day for brunch?

your posts are beautiful!

hmm, it’s really the best the day-of (especially if it’s for company). I would chop/prep all of my ingredients the day before and cook it up to a few hours before brunch (it’s good at room temp, doesn’t need to be piping not).

• evelyn on said:

thank you very much! sounds like a plan!

17. Great tips. I had no idea about whisking the eggs. This is the perfect sunday brunch. Im adding cripy pancetta to mine, as husband and son complain when they can’t “see” the meat!

18. Pingback: Easter Sunday with Q | The Q Blog

19. Pingback: Simply Scrumptious | Hissy Fits & Happiness

20. Pingback: Best of the Web: Spring Vegetables | Williams-Sonoma Taste

21. Pingback: Frittata aux pois frais, oignons verts et asperges + Restaurant Day Montréal | La Wannabe