carrot green chimichurri

carrot green chimichurri / loveandlemons.com

I’m going to spare you another pesto post (although you could totally pesto these)… Today, we’re making chimichurri out of the tops of carrots. I don’t know who ever started the idea that these vibrant greens should be tossed – they’re edible and delicious so lets start using them!

carrot green chimichurri / loveandlemons.comcarrot green chimichurri / loveandlemons.com

Wash your greens well, and chop them as finely as you can. Mix them with spices, olive oil and white wine vinegar. Roast the carrots to go along with it. Serve this with veggies, toasted bread, grilled meat, or fish… whatever you like.

This recipe comes with a cute little backstory. A few years ago, Jack and I spent some time in Argentina. Upon returning home, I couldn’t find a recipe that tasted as authentic as chimichurri we had there. (Everything I tried was too parsley-ey and the spice balance just wasn’t the same). That is until, recently, we met an Argentinian friend – a coworker of Jack’s – who so kindly called his mother for her recipe. And it was, of course, just right.

This is a slight spin on that recipe. I altered it just a bit to work with the carrot greens and to make it thick enough to be dip-able. (Notes about the original recipe are included below).

Adapted from Fernando’s Mom’s Chimichurri recipe.

carrot green chimichurri

Yield: about 1 cup

carrot green chimichurri

• 1 cup finely chopped carrot greens (preferably organic)
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • a few grinds of pepper
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil (a good fruity one)

1. Wash and dry your carrot greens well.
  2. Roast carrots in a 450 degree oven for 10-15 minutes (or until tender but not mushy).
  3. Finely chop your carrot greens and mix them with all of the dried spices and minced garlic. Stir in the vinegar and olive oil. Taste and adjust seasonings. (tip: taste it with a carrot or a piece of bread rather than by the spoonful)
  4. Serve with roasted carrots (or other veggies), toasted bread, or over grilled fish or meat.

Notes

Store in an air tight container at room temperature. It'll keep for quite awhile, but will not look as vibrant green after a few days.

If this is too oily or vinegar-heavy for you, dilute it with 1/4-1/2 cup of lukewarm water. Mix well and spoon it onto whatever you're serving it with, rather than dipping into it.

The original recipe calls for parsley instead of carrot tops, an additional 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1/2 cup water, 1 additional clove of garlic and 1 additional teaspoon of sweet paprika.

1. Katrina @ WVS from warmvanillasugar.com on said:

I love chimichurri! This recipe looks perfect!

2. yum! I love a good chimichurri, but i also love that you made it with the carrot greens! I always feel so guilty about throwing greens away.

p.s. i won’t complain if all you do is post pesto.

Thanks :) I just love pesto so many ways, it’s endless!

3. kara on said:

thank you so much for this recipe! i spent a summer abroad in buenos aires, and have not been able to track down a chimichurri recipe that lives up to my memories. i will definitely have to give this a try- the original and the carrot greens version (which is a genius twist). provecho!

4. Maria Tadic from beanafoodie.com on said:

I love finding recipes that use the WHOLE piece of produce. I’ve always heard carrot greens are good and you can use them, just never have. But I definitely will try this recipe – I love chimichurri and the season for grilling is coming soon and this would be great on a big plate of grilled veggies!!

5. Meg Sylvia from artfulpublications.com on said:

It is really so interesting to see all of the pestos you make with spare vegetables greens. What a cool eBook idea that could be! ;) Chimichurri is hands-down my favorite sauce, and although I normally use cilantro, I’d be really interested to see how it tastes with these carrot greens thrown in!

Ha, thanks! That would be a fun idea, for sure :).

This would also be great as half cilantro (or whatever fresh herb), half carrot greens – I meant to write that note in the recipe.

6. Ileana from alittlesaffron.com on said:

So clever! And pretty. I don’t get too excited about roasted carrots but I do like the sound of this spin on my beloved chimichurri.

7. I love using the often-discarded greens from veggies, especially root veggies, but have never used the ones from carrots. I have to give this a try!

PS: sorry if this is a duplicate comment. I posted one just now and got an error from my browser. Please delete if they both went through :)

8. dana from minimalistbaker.com on said:

Smart lady!

9. sara from fourthandolive.com on said:

what a fantastic idea! i have a great book called ‘vegetable literacy’ and it talks all about carrot tops. will have to try this!

sara
    fourthandolive.com

love vegetable literacy… I’ll have to go back and read the part about the carrot tops :)

This is such a great idea! I’ve never thought about using carrot greens like this but it’s so clever and I bet it’s really tasty too!

11. I just got into using carrot greens last summer. Love it! I really enjoy them atop pesto on sandwiches, and I bet this chimichurri would take that to the next level. Love that top photo!

12. i have never made chimichurri before – you just inspired me..now somebody please give me a bread to dip this in.

13. Brionna on said:

What an amazing idea? I’ve been trying to be much better about throwing away greens especially since I discovered that beet greens are amazing several months ago. Can’t wait to try this!

14. Fern Reed from fernreedgmailcom on said:

Well tell me I am crazy and I am,, but I have been using carrots greens for Years!!!!!!!
    I never ever throw anything away that I can use and I use almost everything you can think of!!

ha, nope, you’re the smart one – I don’t know why the rest of us (or many of us) grew up not knowing you should eat them!

15. Brillant! I play a game with myself and then gloat when I use everything up in my refrigerator and make a yummy meal. Using carrot tops takes that to a whole new level. And, chimichurri is one of my favorites. Thanks so much!

I play that game too :)

16. Pang from circahappy.com on said:

I like this recipe SO MUCH that even though I have never had chimichurri before in my life, I am going to make it one day. Do you think I can substitute carrot green with baby kale?

Anyway, I love the idea of not wasting any food. This is such a brilliant idea :)

thanks Pang :). Yep, I’ve done it with kale before – just chop it up really fine.

17. What a great spin on chimichurri. My husband and I met in Argentina while studying abroad so all-things Argentina hold a special place in my heart. And we love chimichurri, especially with empanadas!

18. I love chimichurris but never did this. because I’ve never bought carrots with their greens – always the ones in a bag. I need to fix the fundamental problem here. Love that you use up everything and there is no food wastage

19. This is fantastic! I love to use the “throw-away” bits of veggies :) What a great idea!

20. Alanna from bojongourmet.com on said:

So excited to know what to do with those pesky greens. This sounds like heaven!

21. Nancy from revisionarydesign.com on said:

I never thought to use carrot greens – so doing this thank you so much!!

22. SouthernSpoon from southern-spoon.blogspot.com.au on said:

Hooray! Love the chimmichurri at the amazing Argentinian-Aussie restaurant Porteño here in Sydney. Can’t wait to try this version, and thanks for the carrot tops idea– love using the whole vegetable.

23. Caro from senoritaquecocina.tumblr.com on said:

Hey Jeanine!

I’m a silent fan of your blog. I’m not vegan nor vegetarian, but still copying and loving lots of tips you throw around! The first one that got me was the flax egg, and i couldn’t stop myself from adding your blog to my Favorites. (‘you got me at flax egg!’)
    The thing is that I’m argentinean, and have a food blog. Well, I’m a musician and *that’*s my work. But still, I entertain myself and relax cooking, and sometimes, posting.
    You’re so inspiring!
    And now, you’re throwing a chimichurri recipe!
    Oh♥ It’s a gastronomic crush ♥

So, I just wanted to say that.
    Silent readers, sometimes, come out to light to say: ‘keep it up!’

Hugs from Buenos Aires!
    Ca

24. Pingback: The Problem with a Spring Cleanse | Yours truly, Jellyflower Sunfish

25. Pingback: JOY OF LITTLE THINGS

26. jolene on said:

Can you substitute the white wine vinegar with a different kind?

white balsamic vinegar, champagne vinegar, sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar (although either of those last 2 will make it a bit darker in color)

27. Golly I’ve been slinging those beautiful carrot tops into the compost all this time. Great recipe and tip.

28. Pingback: (via carrot green chimichurri | Love and Lemons) « We Live Social

29. Felicia on said:

Thanks for this recipe, it was great! Had it with grilled flank steak.

30. Lisa from fullandcontent.com on said:

Tried this today and served it over grilled chicken… really great!

31. I made it but unfortunately 1 teaspoon was way too much salt for my taste. I had to double the recipe and then eat it with yoghurt sauce, next time I’ll salt to taste again and not to measurements. I have to admit I was probably too happy trying out my first measuring set of cups and spoons, a rarity in Europe.

thanks for letting me know – I’ll reduce the salt a bit in the recipe so people can add it to taste.

32. Pingback: veganrecipecollection: (via carrot green chimichurri | Love and… | Dieting and Fitness

33. Janee on said:

Roasted carrots tonight and made the chimichurri to accompany and it was delicious. Thanks for sharing!

so glad you liked it!

34. Sheila B on said:

Excellent!!! Love it!!!!! I served it with spaghetti using toasted baguette and it is delicious!! Loaded with K+, Ca+ and Mg a very healthy alternative to other dips/spreads. Also great on Wasa Crackers! Thank you very much for a wonderful new experience which I will revisit often!

35. Pingback: Panko Cod with Carrot Top Chimichurri and Chipotle Roasted Carrots | Maotai Eats

36. Jess C. on said:

This was delicious! I really wanted to use those lush carrot tops, plus I threw in a bit of cilantro I had on hand. I served it over white fish and carrots and it was a dream.

37. Chelsea on said:

We live on a CSA and usually have far more veggies than we can reasonably eat, so usually carrot greens go to the pigs/chickens. Made one batch of this today, tasted some on a tortilla chip, and then quadrupled it as a dip to feed the masses of summer volunteers at our 4th of July BBQ! Quite the hit in this veggie loving crowd, and freed up a ton of space in the fridge. My only substitution was Bragg’s apple cider vinegar, and the addition of a sprinkle of sugar to make up for the sharpness of it. Next time fresh oregano and maybe some fennel greens!

I’m so glad you liked it! I’ll have to try apple cider vinegar next time, great idea…

38. Kaia Wong on said:

This recipe was suggested by someone at the community farm -just made it and added some fennel fronds..magnificent! Will put on salmon and bake..thanks for the recipe!