black bean & quinoa burgers

black bean quinoa burgers (vegan, gluten free) / loveandlemons.com black bean quinoa burgers (vegan, gluten free) / loveandlemons.com

I’m not sure where to begin here. I can’t decide if I’m more excited to tell you about this vegan veggie burger that I’ve been working on for quite some time, or if I should start by talking about this to-die-for chipotle mayo. I could also go on and on about the typography on that (spiced!) ketchup bottle. There are a lot of drool-worthy things are happening for me here.

Ok, twist my arm, I’ll start with the ketchup bottle. (I mean how cute is that!)… Beyond the sans-serif, Sir Kensington’s ketchup is also sans-additives, stabilizers and other artificial ingredients… it’s made from real tomatoes (not concentrate) and it just tastes fresh. (Jack hates ketchup and he loved this). It also has less sugar, which is good for me because I easily use twice as much ketchup as any normal person.

black bean quinoa burgers (vegan, gluten free) / loveandlemons.com

I set some strict veggie burger criteria for this recipe: no eggs, no cheese, no oats, no rice. I really wanted to make this vegan so everyone could enjoy. I didn’t want to use oats or rice because I feel like those things make heavy gummy burgers and I wanted a better texture and a little more protein. Black beans & flax make it cohesive while the walnuts create a nice bite and the quinoa makes it a little crisp around the edges.

If you’re a “sometimes vegan,” like myself, I also encourage you to slather your burger with chipotle mayo. That is… if it makes it to your burger. This stuff is so good you’ll most likely want to lick it straight off the knife.

This recipe looks long but I promise, it goes pretty quick!

black bean & quinoa burgers

Yield: makes 4 burgers

black bean & quinoa burgers

• 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 medium shallot, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • spices - 2 teaspoons each of ground cumin & coriander, pinch of cayenne
  • 1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire (or soy sauce or tamari)
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste (or ketchup)
  • 1 tablespoon grated beet (optional - for color)
  • 1/4 cup walnuts
  • 1 cup black beans, cooked & drained (you will use 1/2 cup at a time)
  • 1 "flax egg" (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water)
  • 3/4 cup cooked red quinoa (you’ll use 1/2 cup, then 1/4 cup separately)
  • salt & pepper
  • fixings:
  • toasted whole wheat or gluten free buns
  • lettuce, red onion, tomato, shredded cabbage, jalapeños
  • Spiced Ketchup and Chipotle Mayonnaise

1. Preheat oven to 375 with a metal baking sheet inside.
  2. In a small bowl, stir flax & water together and set aside.
  3. Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add the shallot, garlic, a few good pinches of salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes until translucent. Add the dried spices, stir, and cook for 30 seconds more.
  4. Add the worcestershire, balsamic, tomato paste, grated beet, walnuts and THE FIRST 1/2 CUP black beans. Stir and cook for another few minutes and turn heat off.
  5. Let cool slightly, then add the contents from the pan to the food processor. Add the flax egg and blend until everything is cohesive. It does not need to be perfectly smooth).
  6. Transfer mix to a bowl and stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of black beans (smash them a little as you stir), and 1/2 CUP of the quinoa. (You can taste & adjust seasonings at this point if you want to because there is no egg). Stir until this is all very cohesive then divide into 4 segments and roll into balls.
  7. Place the 4 balls on a plate and sprinkle them with the remaining 1/4 cup quinoa. Gently roll them so the quinoa coats the outside of the balls, then press each in the palm of your hand to form patties. Place on parchment paper (on a plate) and chill for 20 minutes.
  8. Transfer the parchment w/ your patties onto the pre-heated baking sheet. Drizzle a little olive oil on top and bake for about 15 minutes. Flip and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes until the outside is not mushy.
  9. Let cool and serve with fixings of your choice and spiced ketchup and chipotle mayonnaise.

Notes

This recipe looks long, but I promise it goes pretty quick!

This post is sponsored by Sir Kensington’s. As always, all opinions are our own. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that keep us cooking!

1. Yum! I haven’t experimented enough with veggie burgers. Yours look superbly delicious! So beautiful, too!

2. dana from minimalistbaker.com on said:

So great! Will have to check these out. Sensational photos and styling! Also, gotta try that burger recipe!!

thanks Dana :)

3. Sara from itsmylittlethings.blogspot.com on said:

Ok to be honest, this looks like the best tasting quinoa burger ever !! *drools* But i am quite lazy so i’d rather someone cook it for me or eat it at some restaurant. I wish i could just grab the burger from the picture and pull it out from my screen :( yummers. Thank you for making me hungry hehe. AMAZING pictures btw.

www.itsmylittlethings.blogspot.com

ha, me too (there aren’t many veggie burger recipes on this blog!)… but they’re really pretty easy and totally worth it :)

4. Tereza from lifeandcity.tumblr.com on said:

These look absolutely delicious! Definitely a great burger alternative :)

5. What a delicious way to serve up a burger. Love it and the chipotle mayonnaise. Thanks for sharing.

6. Emma from coconutandberries.com on said:

I’ve been thinking recently about making veggie burgers but they’re surprisingly hard to get right.
    I love the look of these, especially with those yummy sauces.

thanks Emma, I’ve been working on it for awhile! Hard to make them cohesive but not dry…

7. Maria from twopeasandtheirpod.com on said:

My kind of burger!

8. Ileana from alittlesaffron.com on said:

Oh MAN. I had a beet-walnut burger years ago at Deschutes Brewery in Portland and it is the best veggie burger I’ve ever had. It was so good we went there twice during our trip out west. So you can understand why your recipe is shooting to the top of my to-cook list!

Ha, well I hope this one lives up! :)

• Lindsey from macsuzie.com on said:

Deschutes has a new one now that is equally amazing if you ever make it back – quinoa and cashew with a ton of fixings! I don’t quite live close enough to indulge as much as I would want, so I definitely plan on trying this recipe :)

• Ileana from alittlesaffron.com on said:

No way! I will have to try it next time I’m in Oregon (hopefully sooner rather than later). Thanks for the tip. :)

9. Meg Sylvia from artfulpublications.com on said:

Ahh these look so lovely. I’ve never had a quinoa burger – I think this may have to be my first!

10. Oh man so many things to love about this post! Those bottles are soooo cute! I can never get my veggie burgers to stick together without eggs so I am sooooo excited to try these! PS Who doesn’t like Ketchup?!?!?! C’mon Jack! ;)

Ha, thanks! I always seem to talk about things he doesn’t like here (I’m not sure why :))

11. Oh My Goodness – how I love that Sir Kensington brand of ketchup! I had it for the first time this summer in NYC visiting my daughter at school and fell hard! And guess what was in my Christmas stocking this year . . . the ketchup. I was thrilled! I had no idea they made other goodies too! Thanks for letting me know. How exciting!

And, of course, this burger looks seriously good! You do everything so well!

Ha – you sound just like me – I would be thrilled to get this ketchup in my Christmas stocking! :)

12. Claire Gallam from nutritionfor.us on said:

Oh my heavens. I love love love these burgers!!

13. I once tried to use a lot of leftover veggie pulp from juicing to make veggie burgers and it was awful so I abandoned the idea of making veggie burgers completely. However, yours look amazing and don’t sound too challenging, which I definitely appreciate! Plus, I absolutely love to drink beet juice, but I always wonder what to do with the leftover (dry) pulp. I think a tablespoon could find their way into these burgers! So glad you shared this recipe with us :)

the dry pulp would be perfect here :). A little beet really goes a long way…

14. Kristin from blog.kristinfleming.com on said:

Looks delicious! I might have to try this.

15. isabella on said:

i LOVE your photographs! such an inspiration.

16. Sammy from sammy-garcia.com on said:

these look amazing! now i need to get a food processor, it’s been on my mind. any suggestions on size and brand!?

I use a 4 Cuisinart (this one: http://www.cuisinart.com/products/food_processors/dlc-4chb.html). I use it all the time because it’s small and convenient and not too much of a mess. I usually make small batches of things so it works for me (there are just 2 of us).

17. Pingback: Weekly Link Love |

18. whoorl from whoorl.com on said:

I’m new to this blog (love it!), so excuse me if you have posted about this before, but do you make your own GF buns or recommend a store-bought brand? Thanks!

Thanks & welcome! I don’t make my own… pictured are actually whole wheat (not gluten free) buns from the Rudi’s brand. They make gluten-free ones as well, as does the Udi’s brand. I’ve gotten both at Whole Foods (and other organic grocery stores).

19. Ashley from edibleperspective.com on said:

Ummm, I LOVE those condiment jars!! Oh my goodness. Plus, this recipe obviously looks amazing. That first photo is one of my all time favorites on L&L. You guys are just so dang inspiring and bursting with talent.

thanks Ashley :)

20. Pingback: parsnip fries & a giveaway | Love and Lemons

21. Pingback: Friday Finds | Feast + West

22. Wow do these ever look good. I just bought some black beans yesterday so I will certainly give this recipe a try :)

23. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is

24. Angie K. on said:

I made these for lunch today. They were as delicious as the pictures look. I will definitely make them again!

so glad you liked them!!

25. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | pinmeplease

26. Meghan M. on said:

Lucky me, I discovered your blog yesterday when I had a fridge full of roasted beets, quinoa and parsnips. I made the burger and fries tonight and they were great! The only issue is that the burgers didn’t hold together very well. Next time should I cook them longer? Chill them longer? Not blend as much? Either way, I’m so glad to have found your blog – I can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

You want to blend until you have a chunky refried bean texture. Then when you add the remaining beans and quinoa be sure to mix everything really well so it’s all very much sticking together. Roll them together tightly in your hands to form the patties, if they feel too fragile at that stage, I would chill them longer. Let me know how that goes!

27. ATasteOfMadness from atasteofmadness.blogspot.ca on said:

This is gorgeous! I have made quinoa burgers before, but never with black beans. I am craving this!!

28. Pingback: (via black bean & quinoa burgers | Love and Lemons) « We Live Social

29. Pingback: Whatever Works » Blog Archive Links I Love #3

30. Pingback: Craving… | GlamGirlGlow

31. Lauren on said:

i have a tree nut allergy? Could I omit walnuts or will it change the consistency of the burger? Or is there a substitution? thx.. these look delish!

I haven’t tried it without nuts, so I’m not exactly sure how different the consistency would be – I’m sure it can be done, I just don’t have an exact written recipe alternative (this time). Let me know if you give it at try :)

32. Great recipe!!! I made black bean burgers the other month which was delicious but will have to try yours – adding walnuts sounds like a really good idea!

33. Pingback: Inspiration | March 14 » Life In Limbo

34. Pingback: Pépites de web #52 | Madeleines et plumes d'autruche. Blog lifestyle, cuisine et DIY, Paris

35. Pingback: Daily Recipe Inspiration: Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers

36. Pingback: Friday Favorites | Bite Sized Texan

37. Fi Matthews from worldflavours.net on said:

Best veggie burger ever! and.. something which is now close to our heart .. its Gluten free.
    Going to give this one a shot.. Burger + kids = win :-)

38. Pingback: 20 Easy & Delicious Quinoa Recipes

39. Margaret from haveagoodrun.blogspot.com on said:

I made these last night…they are incredible!!! So flavorful and delicious. I couldn’t be happier with how they turned out :) They were a bit too wet to roll into a ball, but I managed to make them work (and even flip them!). Now if only I had some of that fancy ketchup to put on top of them…

Hi Margaret – I’m so glad you liked them (and managed to flip them!).

40. Pingback: Black Bean & Red Quinoa Burger With DIY Chipotle Mayo Recipe… | Opinionated Beauty

41. Caitin from chopsticksandmeasuringcups.blogspot.comt on said:

So I’ve had this recipe bookmarked since you posted it earlier this month and I’m currently sitting on a bunch of leftover black beans and quinoa, which makes me think this is the perfect recipe to try out over the weekend! Do you have any suggestions for how to make these ahead of time and freeze, or whether they would freeze well in general?

I haven’t tried freezing them yet… (I will at some point because for the effort I’d love to be able to keep some on hand). If you make them one day ahead and chill over night I’m thinking that would actually help their cohesion. If you try freezing them before I get the chance, let me know how it goes?

• Caitlin on said:

I’ll be making these later today and hopefully thawing them in the near future when the weather is warmer. (Will it ever be warmer?) Because the recipe is vegan, I don’t plan on cooking them at all before I freeze them, but I’ll keep you posted on this adventure!

let me know how it works out!

42. Mary Kate on said:

Hi there- Silly question: Can I use an actual egg? Don’t happen to have ground flax. Although, I do have chia? Also, can you sub other nuts for the walnuts depending on what you have? Almonds, etc.?

Thanks!

yes – you can absolutely use an egg (1 egg should be fine). I want to say almonds would work but I haven’t tried them so I can’t say for sure – I would grind them up before adding them to the other ingredients just so they don’t turn out crunchy. I also think ground sunflower seeds would be a nice substitution.

43. Yoanna from aboutfoood.com on said:

your blog is BEAUTIFUL!

44. Pingback: #sohotrightnow Spring Edition

45. Pingback: Simple Veggie Sliders | Minimalist Baker Recipes

46. Erica from ericakking.com on said:

I just made these DELICIOUS burgers and they are AWESOME! Very easy to make and didn’t take long at all. I made a few small substitutions because I was totally out of cumin (used fresh parsley, paprika, and montreal seasoning), and I used apple cider vinegar instead of balsamic. My whole family loves them (even my picky eater – he’s 4) and now I have the perfect vegan burger! Thank you!

so glad you liked them!

47. Pingback: WTF Wednesday: Quinoa

48. Pingback: Black Bean & Quinoa Burger | I Don't Give a Ham

49. Kelsey from kelsnhealth.weebly.com on said:

This site rocks, how did it take me so long to find it? I’ll definitely be featuring you in my blog tonight after I eat this?!!!

ha, thanks :)

50. Lauren on said:

Made these today! Great recipe! Thanks so much!!

51. Sandy from kidsbestnutrition.com on said:

Fabulous! Even my meat-eating mother-in-law loved these! Thanks for the recipe. Kidsbestnutrition.com

I’m so glad – thanks for coming back with feedback!

52. Heather on said:

I made these last night and they were one of the best! My meat-eating husband said he liked them better than meat and the flavor was amazing. Definitely going into the regular rotation. Thank you!

ha – yay, I’m so glad. Thanks for coming back to let me know!

53. Pingback: Keen on Quinoa | The Secret Ingredient

54. Sarah on said:

These look absolutely delicious! I stumble onto your blog every few months and love it so much every time. I’m finally having the clearheadedness to add it to my bookmarks page so I can visit it more often! Just out of curiosity (and I know someone else mentioned this), have you tried freezing them? I seem to have lots of free time on Sundays, but none throughout the week and would love to be able to munch on these delicious treats anytime I pleased. Thank you so much for your beautiful blog!

I haven’t tried (but I should try so I can answer this question better!)

55. Pingback: Simply Scrumptious- Veggin Out | Hissy Fits & Happiness

56. Chelsea on said:

Oh no! I forgot to chill them! I hope that step wasn’t too important!

57. Bren on said:

These were the first black bean burgers I have ever made that were not mush inside. They were just perfect. Loved the flax egg idea. Definately a keeper. I did add a little whizzed Kale and left out the beet. Dried spices were ground, not whole. Wonderful flavor. Thanks for this.

58. Pingback: Diabetes Black Bean And Quinoa Burger | Diabetes Reversed

59. Pingback: Dinner Al Fresco | Emily Rollings

60. Pingback: Hooray For Black Bean Burgers! | third act evolution

61. Pingback: Koka själv |

62. Tami from blog.tamiseymour.com on said:

I have been searching for a good veggie burger! I just made these last night and they were great. I made them as a slider with slow roasted tomatoes, fried onions and an aioli. Next time I need to make the chipotle mayo. Thanks for sharing!