spiced cauliflower “couscous”

Spiced Cauliflower Couscous / loveandlemons.com #vegan #glutenfree Spiced Cauliflower Couscous / loveandlemons.com #vegan #glutenfree

While cauliflower pizza might not resemble actual pizza dough, cauliflower couscous (in my opinion) really does mimic the texture of actual couscous remarkably well. If you were waiting for a vegan recipe with a few less carbs – here it is. In fact, this might be just a few chickpeas and a couple of currants away from paleo. (Although I’m not an expert on paleo rules so don’t quote me on that).

I went a little nuts with the nuts and spices. The cauliflower has such a subtle flavor so it’s really a blank canvas. Since we’re in the middle of winter, I figured I’d make use of a bunch of a variety dried spices – also, I had just cleaned out my pantry. Apparently, I had been hoarding hazelnuts.

I finished this off with a simple coconut & turmeric sauce that was inspired by a recipe my friend Angie made for me once (hi Angie!). This would make for a nice light dinner on it’s own, it was also really good with a few seared scallops on top.

spiced cauliflower “couscous”

Serves: serves 2-3
  • about 3 (loose) cups of cauliflower florets, dried completely
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • ¼ cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
  • ½ teaspoon dried orange peel
  • ½ teaspoon dried cilantro leaves
  • ½ teaspoon red chile flakes
  • 2 tablespoons currants
  • 1 cup chickpeas, (optional: roast them in a bit of oil & salt)
  • chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
sauce:
  • ½ cup coconut milk (full fat is ideal, light would do)
  • ¼ teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • pinch of cinnamon
  • salt
  1. Ahead of time: toast your hazelnuts and pine nuts and roast your chickpeas.
  2. Make your sauce by stirring together the coconut milk, turmeric, curry powder, a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
  3. Pulse cauliflower in a food processor until it’s “riced” (ie, the size of couscous). Careful not to overmix, you don’t want to puree the cauliflower at all.
  4. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cauliflower “couscous” and a few good pinches of salt. Let it gently toast for a minute or so and stir. you should see a few of the bits turning golden brown. (Careful not to overcook you want the pieces tender and not mushy). Toss again and add the nuts and spices and chickpeas. Cook until the spices become fragrant (about 30 seconds more) and remove from heat.
  5. Toss cauliflower mix with half the sauce, (not too much so it stays fluffy), and top with fresh cilantro Taste and adjust seasonings and serve it with the rest of the sauce on the side.

1. Marie from stokescroftstitching.blogspot.com on said:

This sounds delicious! We’ve been eating lots more cauli recently, since discovering how great it is roasted. Thanks for the recipe idea -Will definitely give this a try.

It’s so great roasted isn’t it? Let me know if you give this one a try!

2. well, I have not been successful with the cauliflower crust yet..couscous sounds amazing..pinned this recipe!

ha, it’s a tricky one – this should be a lot easier :)

3. oh my goodness, this is ingenious! What a great way to incorporate more veggies. I do love cauliflower, but can’t deal with couscous (in grad school thats all I ate). Will have to try this out!

I ate a lot of couscous in college too :)

4. I laughed out loud when I saw the title of this post. We are currently making cauliflower couscous as I type this!!! Love it!!! Your version sounds fabulous!

can’t wait to see how you make it!

5. Isadora from shelikesfood.com on said:

I used to eat a ton of cous cous, but recently I’ve been eating gluten free. Using cauliflower as cous cous is such a great idea and I love that it is such a blank canvas so you can really add any flavors you want to it! Thanks!

6. Trini from balmainkitchen.wordpress.com on said:

Looks superb! I love cous cous salads but am trying to eat mostly gluten free at the moment so this looks like a must-try. Thank you for the inspiration.

7. cheri from mysavoryspoon.blogspot.com on said:

This looks amazing!

8. Rosie on said:

Sounds delish. I have also made cauliflower fried rice…another great side dish wether you’re watching carbs or not.

9. Melissa from Www.thewhimsicalwife.com on said:

Mmm what a great recipe. I will be making this on the weekend. Yum

10. Tieghan from halfbakedharvest.com on said:

I am all for the spices and nuts! Love this recipe!

11. Holly from ithelpdeskelitep.beeplog.com on said:

Hola! I’ve been following your site for a while now and finally got the bravery
    to go ahead and give you a shout out from Huffman Texas! Just wanted to say
    keep up the good work!

My webpage – services outsourcing (Holly)

ha, thanks for being brave and commenting!

12. I love your creative use of cauliflower here. Looks delicious with all those spices too!

13. Such an original idea! It seems like Cauliflower is becoming a new key ingredient in the blog world these days and this one is so fresh and unique. I’ve never made couscous so this would be a perfect new side for dinners. Love the toasted hazelnuts too!

it’s so versatile! I didn’t like (well, thought I didn’t like) cauliflower for a long time until I really realized all that can be done with it :)

14. Pang from circahappy.com on said:

WOW!!! When I took a first glance at the picture, I thought “OK, this will be a nice couscous recipe I should try.” But then I clicked and read this post carefully, and I was overjoyed. You are GENIUS!!!! This way, no one in my family knows it’s cauliflower, and they will get all the benefit this veggie has to offer.

This is brilliant. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing :)

Ha, well ingredients listed in quotation marks will always be not what they seem :). I hope your family likes it!

15. Cauliflower is an incredibly great vegetable. It’s so versatile too. This is a great recipe to try.

thank you! xo

16. Erin from clevergirlreviews.com on said:

I can’t wait to make this! I need a food processor!

I have just a small one – it doesn’t take up a lot of space so I find I use it *all* the time.

17. Sylvia from superfoodista.com on said:

I love this recipe!! You are right, I made a cauliflower crist “pizza” a while back and it did lack the resemblance to a “real pizza”, definitely not as crispy. But this idea with the couscous is really great!! I love it and have to give it a try soon! I love to replace the “traditional” ingredients in recipe with a healthier one. The other day I made a quinoa tabouleh…
    Thanks for sharing, I am so in love with your blog! It’s one of the most beautiful out there!!! Sylvia

Thanks Sylvia!! I think pizza is just not the right name… it’s tasty but good dough is especially hard to “fake.” I was pleasantly surprised how couscous-like the cauliflower was :)

18. I LOVE this idea! Especially like the idea of the sauce. Just one question – did you buy the dried orange or prepare it yourself?

You should be able to find it in the dried spice section. I happened to have it leftover from this post, (it was given to me): http://www.loveandlemons.com/2013/05/08/spiced-carrot-chickpea-salad/, But don’t knock yourself out if you can’t find it, you could try adding some zest near the end, or skip it altogether. Or, I mean, make your own if you’re craftier than I am!

19. Love this! I’ve made a cauliflower tabouli before but never thought to use it as a base for other couscous dishes. This looks so, so yummy! Can’t wait to try it.

20. Pingback: Weekend Notes | Camille Styles

21. Alethea on said:

If i didn’t have a food processor, would a blender work the same?

I think a blender might mush it too much – I would just try to chop it finely with a knife and crumble it with your fingers as small as you can. Cauliflower is so crumbly I think this wouldn’t be all that time-intensive.

22. Pingback: Healthy Way To Cook Daily Recipe Inspiration: Spiced Cauliflower "Couscous"

23. Lily Morales on said:

Oh my gosh, this was delicious. By the way, I did use a blender (don’t have the counter space for a processor) but just pulsed it a bit as to not to mush it. It turned out great!

24. Pingback: #sohotrightnow- February Edition | sofreshnsogreen

25. Pingback: In Which Rachel Makes a Meal Devoid of Grains | Long Distance Dinner Club

26. Val on said:

Ehi!
    Amazing idea, but…do you cook the coulifower before couscousing it or you use it raw?

It’s raw and then it gets toasted in the pan (in step 4)

• Val on said:

Super. Thank you

27. 1 from kundenstimmen.motorschaden-ankauf.com on said:

Great blog right here! Also your website lots up fast!
    What web host are you the usage of? Can I am getting your associate link for your host?
    I desire my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol

Here is my web page; 1

28. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate
    your efforts and I am waiting for your further write ups thank you once again.

My blog View shop – imvunetwork.com,

29. Pingback: (via spiced cauliflower “couscous” | Love and Lemons) « We Live Social

30. Kristin on said:

This recipe is so delicious! Have already made it twice and I am now forwarding the recipe to my friends and family. Made your “Chickpea Lemon-Miso Noodle Soup” last night – another hit and will definitely be making it again. Can’t wait to try the “Black Bean & Quinoa Burgers” this week.
    PS Love all your pictures!

thanks! So glad you’ve like the recipes – thanks for sharing your feedback!

31. Deanne on said:

I tried this recipe last night and simply LOVED it! The flavors and textures were perfect. Added some sautéed shrimp to make it more of a meal. I plan to experiment by adding tofu next time. My husband liked it so much that he proceeded to ‘steal’ this recipe from me following dinner and made a second batch for his lunch the next day!!

Wow, that’s the best compliment ever :) So glad you loved it!

32. Carolina on said:

I LOVED this and I don’t like cauliflower. I didn’t have any nuts so I didn’t put them in but it was delicious anyway! Thank you for this idea.

33. Pingback: A shout out to my recent favorite food blogs (for Niko) | Ruby Moon Mama

34. Pingback: Sardine Ripiene (Stuffed Whole Sardines) | FEED YOU WITH A KISS

35. Pingback: Links I’m Lovin’ From Around the Web | Hungry Healthy Girl

36. Lauren on said:

I made this for dinner and really liked it as well! I didn’t have the same stashes in my spice cabinet so I swapped in what I had – fresh orange zest, fresh cilantro, walnuts. I agree, seared scallops would have been lovely with it! Will definitely add them if I can next time. Thanks for another great recipe!

37. Lisa B. on said:

This was such an easy, healthy, and yummy dish! I made just a couple changes like adding zucchini and leaving out the currants but the main thing I wanted to let you know was that instead of the spice mixture I used a vindaloo spicy mix from The Savory Spice shop in town and if was amazing! Since you’re an Austinite, I thought I’d pass along that great find– thank you and I’ll be trying yet another one of your recipes this week!

so glad you liked it! I’ll have to try that spice mix…

38. Pingback: How to Make Cauliflower Puree | Recipe Girl

39. Pingback: #sohotrightnow- February Edition

40. Pingback: AWOL & April | The Littlest Bakehouse

41. Erica on said:

Any suggestions for substitution of dried orange peel?

Hi Erica – (sorry for the delayed reply!). You can either leave it out or add a bit of orange zest!

42. Pingback: Supper is Ready: Creamy Fettuccine with Smoked Arctic Char — Olivia Canela

43. Denise | TLT from tlt-thelittlethings.com on said:

Absolutely in love with your site! Just discovered the edamame dumplings (somehow, I can’t comment there?) and they seem like a great Asian variation on my Italian version (http://tlt-thelittlethings.com/2013/09/15/pea-parmesan-wonton-tortellini-or-ravioli/) which is without a doubt the dish I make most often. I bet the edamame version would be delicious with a side salad with carrot dressing. Thanks for the inspiration, I know what’s for dinner tonight:)

Thanks Denise! We turned comments off for posts older than 6 months because we were getting a lot of spam comments – although many people have been asking about this so I think we’ll undo that (soon!).

• Denise | TLT from tlt-thelittlethings.com on said:

Totally understand! I had the same issue until my site redesign. I now work with Disqus and that helped a lot! Maybe something to check out?

Also: I made your edamame dumplings last night and they were a big hit! I added some mirin and soy sauce to the stock and thought that really added some extra flavors. Definitely gonna make this again. Thanks!

44. alene5518 on said:

Hello. Have you any idea learning to make a web site smartphone welcoming?
    I’m looking for a concept or wordpress tool that might be able to take care of this matter. Please share if you have any suggestions.
    Rapid question that’s thoroughly out of theme.
    My web site appearance weird when surfing.

45. Kat on said:

This recipe looks fantastic! How did you dry the cauliflower?

46. Pingback: Riced Cauliflower Salad | Food for thought