chilaquiles with avocado

Chilaquiles with avocado / loveandlemons.com

I’m thinking of trying to grow avocados this spring… I don’t really have a green thumb, but I eat so darn many of them, I figure it’s worth a try. (Also, I’m just now realizing that this is my 3rd avocado recipe in a row – oops!) If anyone has any experience growing them, please let me know! I’m guessing that I probably have to start soon…

Today’s recipe is something I really love to make at home because it tends to be a little too greasy for me at restaurants. Chilaquiles are usually considered hangover food and it all starts with frying tortillas in a skillet. Of course, I went a little (a lot) lighter on the oil so they toast in the skillet and crisp up without becoming an oily mess. This way, we reserve a few extra calories for that brunch-time margarita!

Chilaquiles with avocado / loveandlemons.com

Remember this chile salsa from a few weeks ago? Here’s another way to use it… this meal comes together really quickly if you have some on hand in your fridge. (If not, see below for other sauce suggestions). This is perfect topped with fried eggs, but it would be equally delicious with black beans if you’re vegan.

chilaquiles with avocado

Yield: serves 2

chilaquiles with avocado

• 1-2 tablespoons oil
  • 2 stale corn tortillas, sliced into strips
  • 1/2 cup dried chile salsa (or smooth store-bought salsa or chile sauce)
  • handful of chopped scallions
  • a bit of diced red onion
  • 1/2 an avocado, chopped w/ a bit of lime + salt
  • 2 fried eggs (vegan sub: black beans)
  • 1/4 cup, or so, crumbled cotija cheese (vegan: omit)
  • squeeze of lime
  • salt, pepper

1. Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add tortilla strips and a few pinches of salt. Lightly fry/toast strips until the edges become browned and crispy. (Flip a few times so both sides cook).
  2. Pour the chile sauce into the center of the skillet to coat the tortillas. (I like to leave the tortillas that are a few inches from the edges un-sauced so they remain a bit crispy). Let the sauce sizzle in the skillet with the tortillas for a few minutes while you fry your eggs. (turn heat down or off if you’re skillet is getting too hot).
  3. Fry eggs and add to the skillet along with scallions, red onion, avocado, and cheese. Add a squeeze of lime, and more salt, to taste.

Side note – I find that the Whole Foods brand corn tortillas crisp perfectly without being fried (they’re thin and a bit more dry than others)… I’ve done a lot of tortilla testing and those are my favorite for crisping in the skillet (or baking in the oven). I store them in my freezer.

1. Marin on said:

This looks amazing! I will have to make it soon. I dont know much about growing avocados, but my grandma has a tree and they are soo delicious. I think you can start growing a tree from the pit In a windowsill or something. Thanks for the recipe!

Thanks Marin! I’ll read up a bit and give that a try :)

2. Chilaquiles is one of my favorite meals! I have everything to make this on hand… maybe this will be dinner!

Eggs for dinner are the best :) Let me know if you give it a try!

3. Sarah Lagen from sarahlagen.com on said:

This looks delicious! I can’t wait to try making it!! Thank you for sharing!

4. Eileen from hampiesandwiches.blogspot.com on said:

Hey, there’s nothing wrong with plenty of avocado! These chilaquiles sound wonderful for a weekend breakfast.

ha, it is kind of a fun word :)

5. Goretti Tada on said:

Chilaquiles are delicious. If you’re ever in San Francisco, try the chilaquiles from Mijita’s at the Ferry Building. I’m Mexican and I think they serve THE best chilaquiles ever! Way better than my mom’s!

I’ll be sure to go there next time, thanks!

6. Chiliquiles with an egg on top are so freakin good. And I think that we’d all be happy even if all you did was post avocado recipes.

Ha, good to know, I just love them :)

7. Woah. Growing avocados – I never thought how convenient that would be. I wonder how difficult the process is? I presume you’d keep them inside. Curious to hear about this if you decide to do it!

I’ll keep you posted :). I’m thinking I’ll have to keep it in a pot that I can move in and out – we live in a warm climate, but it gets too hot (and too cold) from what I’ve read is ideal.

8. Tereza from lifeandcity.tumblr.com on said:

Avocados are definitely a beautiful ingredient!

9. I’m with you that chilaquiles can be too greasy and just heavy — great idea to toast the tortillas instead of frying them! And, yes, to the avocado tree! I’m sure you’ll have a green thumb in no time.

thanks Aida :)

10. 3girls1apple from 3girls1apple.com on said:

Put an egg on anything and its truly amazing!!! This looks delicious =)

I know, egg + avocado is usually a complete meal for me :)

11. I use the Whole Foods brand corn tortillas to make my own tortilla chips/tostadas in the oven. I use spray a little olive oil on them and sprinkle with salt. They bake up nice and crispy – better than the other brands I’ve tried.

agreed – they’re a little bit dry (I don’t love them for tacos or anything else) but they crisp so perfectly!

12. I love a good batch of spicy chilaquiles! They are a typical breakfast food down here, and are SO good. Chilaquiles verde would be yummy too. You could make a n avocado chile sauce.

ooh yes definitely – I can hardly wait for summer & tomatillo season!

13. Annie on said:

I have heard that it takes an avocado plant 7 years to bear fruit. So if you start one from a pit now, I wouldn’t count on having any this spring! :)

I’ll probably plant a small tree that’s already sprouted… you know, to save some time!

14. I had this dish (hung over!) for brunch last year at a restaurant, but it was super greasy. I can’t wait to try this at home, thanks for the delish recipe!

15. I loooooove chilaquiles!!!! I agree, sometimes they are way too greasy! I wanna throw in some soyrizo to this mix too for some extra protein!

16. What a yummy-looking meal! I love avocado too. It’s so good for many dishes. Sometimes I just eat it along with breakfast without any alteration.

17. Amy from AHealthyLifeForMe on said:

What a wonderful simple and delicious looking recipe. Perfect for breakfast, or dinner….

18. i love chilaquiles alot esp for brunch. I have found that corn tortillas can be broiled for few minutes in the oven to get the crisp texture, although you need to be little bit more careful.

19. Isadora from shelikesfood.com on said:

Looks delicious! You really can’t go wrong with a recipe that includes avocados, I also love the idea of a brunch-time margarita!

20. I have a black thumb…I tried to grow cilantro on 2 occasions and it hasn’t worked out yet. I am hoping third time is a charm! Good luck on your Avo tree…that would sure save some money :) These look delicious! I can’t wait to try them.

Cilantro is hard! I’ve been pretty successful with most herbs (and what I mean by that is that they have grown on their own, no help from me :)… my cilantro has always flowered over.

21. Pingback: Friday Finds 2.21 | BHG Delish Dish

22. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is

23. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | pinmeplease

24. Pingback: What’s Eatin’? «

25. That looks awesome! Ive been growing my avocado tree for about 2 yrs and its about 5 ft tall. This was the 1 seed out of a sozen that decided to grow. We live in Missouri so I keep it inside at all times.

so great to know, thanks!

26. Pingback: Chilaquiles with Chipotle Adobe Pepper and Avocado

27. Pingback: 3 Spring Brunch Recipes from Our Favorite Bloggers | Chalkboard ChinaChalkboard China

28. Pingback: things that caught my eye/ nine | guy and his girl

29. Ivan on said:

What a great recipe! Substituted the fried egg with a poached one to make it a bit healthier and some black beans and tomato salad. It was truly delicious :)

30. Darya from tortore.wordpress.com on said:

Hello Jeanine, I’ve been reading your blog since forever, but this is my first time commenting. I live in Lille (France), where there is no such thing as Mexican or Texan cuisine, except for a few highly processed sauces and tortillas. A friend of mine visited from Austin a while ago, and brought me bags of dried chiles, which I had no idea how to use (as I’ve never really eaten Mexican food, not even in a restaurant). Then I made your dried chile salsa, and LOVED it. I wanted to taste it the moment I made it, and spread some on a slice of bread, and topped it with fresh goat cheese. It was delicious. Then for breakfast, I made your recipe for chilaquiles (using my own home-made corn tortillas, adding sliced radishes on top for some crunch, and substituting the cotija cheese – can’t be found here – with feta). It was truly delicious! Even my difficult boyfriend loved it. So much flavor, and so unusual to my French palate. I’ve still got piles of dried chiles in my cupboard, so I’ll definitely be making those two recipes again. Thank you, thank you!

Hi Darya,

Thanks, this is the best compliment ever!

31. Pingback: cinco de mayo recipes | Love and Lemons

32. Pingback: 3 Spring Brunch Recipes from Our Favorite Bloggers | Chalkboard China

33. Pingback: Annual Guide to Schools » cinco de mayo recipes

34. Pingback: Rachel Bowie The weekend is here!