collard wraps with carrot hummus

collard wraps with carrot hummus / @loveandlemons

Put down that tortilla, this year is the year of the collard wrap! Ok, I’m totally kidding. I could never give up tortillas and I wouldn’t expect you to either. But in the spirit of all things lighter and brighter, we’re wrapping things up in leafy greens…

collard wraps with carrot hummus / @loveandlemons collard wraps with carrot hummus / @loveandlemons

In order to make leaf wraps exciting, a punchy flavorful filling is a must. I had these pretty red carrots, which made me think of this Harissa Carrot Hummus recipe I had recently seen from Aida Mollenkamp. I took a few liberties, (mostly because I was too lazy to go look up the actual recipe)… among other thingsI pan roasted my carrots to add a slightly smoky flavor and squeezed in some orange for a nice bright kick.

collard wraps with carrot hummus / @loveandlemons

Feel free to play around with the rest of the filling. I added chickpeas, millet, shaved carrots, cabbage and a big sprinkling of hemp seeds. Wrap it all up like a taco and enjoy!

collard wraps with carrot hummus

Yield: serves 2

collard wraps with carrot hummus

Carrot Hummus recipe inspired by AidaMollenkamp.com

carrot hummus: (makes about 1.5 cups)
  • 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
  • 3 small carrots
  • 2 medium (unpeeled) garlic cloves
  • 2 teaspoons harissa seasoning (ground)
  • 1 cup chickpeas (cooked and drained)
  • juice of 1 small lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
  • juice of 1/2 an orange (about 2 tablespoons)
  • 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
  • more harissa, to taste
  • salt, to taste
  • collard wraps:
  • 4 collard leaves
  • carrot hummus
  • 1 cup cooked millet
  • 1/2 cup chickpeas
  • 2 carrots, shaved into ribbons
  • sliced red cabbage (or red cabbage slaw)
  • sprinkle of hemp seeds (I like Happy Hemp)

1. For the carrot hummus: Heat coconut oil in a medium skillet, add carrots, garlic cloves, and a pinch of salt. Cook, rotating occasionally, until the outsides begin to char, about 8-10 minutes. Remove the garlic if it starts to burn. Add the harissa seasoning and let the carrots cook for just a minute longer. Remove from pan and let cool slightly. Peel the garlic.
  2. Chop carrots into 1-inch pieces (it's ok if they're a little raw in the middle). Add the carrots, garlic, chickpeas, lemon juice and orange juice to your high speed blender or food processor. Puree, drizzling in the olive oil as you blend. (Note, I used a vitamix to get mine really smooth. Yours might be a chunkier texture if you use a food processor).
  3. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Chill until ready to use.
  4. For the wraps: Trim off the coarse part of the stem. (Note: my leaves here were on the small side, if yours are bigger, slice more of the tough stem off).
  5. Optional step: blanch the leaves in boiling water for just a second, then transfer to ice water. Let them dry before assembling. (recommended if your leaves are large and coarse).
  6. Assemble with the above ingredients. Eat like a taco.

Notes

If your leaves are larger, you may want to wrap it up and tuck the edges like a burrito.

If you don't have harissa, sub in other spices such as: cumin, corriander, chile flakes and/or smoked paprika.

For a quick red cabbage slaw: thinly slice red cabbage, splash with sherry vinegar and a pinch of salt, let sit for at least 15 minutes.

1. This is my favorite sandwich replacement. The leaves are so lovely and fleshy, they really can hold up against just about anything you put in them. I actually love wrapping them around burgers. The flavor is truly complementary and the texture really satisfying. I’ve got to try your recipe – yum!

I know, I just love the crunch – I’ll have to try them around my veggie burgers, great suggestion!

2. Love, love, love this! Love the collard green wrap and the carrot hummus!! I know what I’ll be having for lunch today.

3. Eileen from hampiesandwiches.blogspot.com on said:

These wraps sound amazing! So pretty & packed with all the veg in the land. :)

Thanks Eileen! The veggies we have at our farmers markets right now are so fun and colorful!

4. Holla fo’ collards!!! I love collard greens and like you said – they work brilliantly in the place of tortillas. but i could never give up my bread. ever. But these look ridick – just pinned.

Happy 2013!

you’re so funny – I just want to let you know that Jack burst out laughing when he read holla fo’ collards :)

5. dana from minimalistbaker.com on said:

So pretty! And healthy. Love it, Jeanine!

6. DessertForTwo from dessertfortwo.com on said:

These wraps are beautiful, and I’m sure delicious!

7. Oh my, as I read this post, I’m eating almost the exact same collard wrap except 1) I’ve got regular hummus, 2) my carrots are the regular kind, not your pretty red ones, and 3) there’s quinoa inside rather than millet. Great minds think alike!? One thing’s for sure though – mine is nowhere as pretty as yours!

ha, what a coincidence :)

8. Nice! Bring on the collard wraps! (and the tortillas, too, though) I like how we both shared such dramatically different collard wraps today :)

9. This is a great alternative for someone who doesn’t eat grain. I had to give it up a little over a year ago. In the summer I love a good lettuce wrap, but this is much heartier. Other leafy greens can be a little bitter, but collards are tasty and filling. Thanks for reminding me of this option! Looks delicious!

10. Jenni from wellnessbyjenni.com on said:

Love this recipe! Especially the addition of orange juice. I can’t wait to make this. I just made my own hummus again for the first time in a really long time, so now I’m excited to start making a bunch of different variations.

11. Hahaha. We just made collard “tacos” last night for dinner! They are one of my favorites. This version sounds fantastic too!

12. Tieghan from halfbakedharvest.com on said:

Gorgeous! I actually really love collard wraps, so this is totally my thing! Oh and that hummus sound incredible!

13. Pingback: I love lists, Friday! – Shutterbean

14. Love this idea, and red carrots are my favorite, too. Now I just need to go get some harissa.

15. Pingback: Spatoola - How is it going?

16. These look SO yummy and fresh. They remind me of the collard wraps in The Sprouted Kitchen cookbook.
    I haven’t tried them yet, but I do have some chard growing in my herb garden, of course home grown doesn’t quite have the size of leaves of the stuff they sell in the store. This carrot hummus would be good on many things though…thanks for sharing!

17. Pingback: (via collard wraps with carrot hummus | Love and Lemons) « We Live Social

18. Sini from myblueandwhitekitchen.com on said:

So pretty! A great way to kick off 2014.

19. cheri from mysavoryspoon.blogspot.com on said:

What a great combination, sounds delicious!

20. Pingback: Weekend Links for 1/4/14 | Big Girl Life

21. Dearna from tohercore.com on said:

These look beautiful! Collard greens are very hard to come by where I live in Australia, do you have any suggestions of what else I may be able to use? (Other than a flour tortilla – although no doubt it would work great that way too!)

• Thanks Jeanine :) I had chard and cos lettuce in my garden which both worked really well. I also had flat kale but unfortunately some little insects have taken a liking to the kale and they are incredibly hole-y and not capable of holding fillings without it dribbling out all over the place! Thanks for the suggestion and the recipe – that hommus is amazing :)

You’re welcome – so sad about the hole-ey kale, glad you enjoyed it with the chard!

22. Happy 2014, Jeanine! I love that my hummus inspired such a delicious-sounding recipe. But, yes, I will *never* be able to give up tortillas permanently so I’m glad we’re on the same page!

23. Just wanted to say the pics alone on this are stunning! Great work. Collards are to behold!

24. Sonja from acouplecooks.com on said:

I love this idea! We’ve tried wraps with other leaves before, but many times they fall apart. I’ve never thought of trying collards! Looks so bright and beautiful.

25. mrsnumbles on said:

These look lovely – the hubby and are trying to eat more seasonally so this should be perfect for lunch! Time to scour the weekend farmer’s market to see if they have collard leaves – most supermarkets in London don’t carry them whole.

hope you like! Big chard leaves would also work – we just happen to have TONS of collards around here at the moment :)

26. Pingback: Weekly Obsessions 1.10.14

27. I love your use of millet. I’m not 100% gluten free, but try to avoid it/branch out as much as I can, I’m definitely going to try this recipe. I don’t have millet very often and would like to incorporate it in some more meals. Thanks for sharing, ps. I love your photos!

Hi Lisa, thanks! I’m not gluten free either, I just love millet because it tastes so good!

28. Pingback: Spicy Carrot Humous | The Noisy Chomper

29. Freddi from thepetitkitchen.com on said:

I love this as it makes super healthy food look so cute and pretty! Will definitely be trying it.

Thanks Freddi! I try :)

30. Pingback: Fresh City — Collard Wraps With Carrot Hummus

31. ball from fostermeprofiles.com on said:

Thank you for share.I like eat carrot very must.carrot make a healthy.

32. Pingback: The Dinner Party Association

33. Wow, this article is pleasant, my sister is analyzing these
    kinds of things, so I am going to tell her.

34. Pingback: Collard Wraps with Carrot Hummus | Ghee is Good

35. Pingback: Week 11: Green Machine | Where's the Tofu?