pistachio goji berry granola

pistachio goji berry granola / @loveandlemons pistachio goji berry granola / @loveandlemons

Every time I make granola I remember why I shouldn’t make granola. We have no self control when it comes to it. This is my favorite version yet… and I can attest to that because right after I made it, Jack and I stood at the kitchen counter and ate it all. Bit by “just a little bit more,” this (our photography subject) disappeared.

pistachio goji berry granola / @loveandlemons

The good news: It’s quick and easy so 15 minutes later we were ready to roll with a second batch. The trick – make it on the stovetop. I know, it sounds wrong but it’s so so right. Everything toasts low and slow (and evenly!) because you’re watching and stirring as you go… adding ingredients in the order of the time they require to cook. Oats first, nuts, then coconut flakes… when you’re all done, stir in the goji berries.

The bad news: we finished off the second batch nearly as quick as the first. But hey, it’s the holidays… and it’s just granola… let’s live a little.

pistachio goji berry granola

Yield: about 2 cups

pistachio goji berry granola

• 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1/3 cup pistachios, chopped
  • 1/4 cup coconut flakes
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup goji berries

1. Heat a large skillet on the stove over low heat. Add the oats and spread them into a thin layer in the pan. Let them start to toast for a minute or two. Add the coconut oil and salt, and stir to incorporate. Continue toasting the oats for 5-7 minute or so, stirring only occasionally.
  2. Add the maple syrup 1 tablespoon at a time, and stir to coat. (Keep your stove at a pretty low temp so the maple syrup doesn't burn).
  3. Once the oats look pretty toasty, add the pistachios, coconut flakes and cinnamon. Continue to slowly cook until the pistachios and coconut flakes are toasted but not burned (about another 5 minutes). Watch carefully, as the bottom layer starts to toast, you want to stir it (before it burns)... pause and stir again so everything toasts evenly.
  4. Remove from the pan and stir in the goji berries.
  5. Let cool and enjoy as a snack or on top of your yogurt (coconut yogurt if you're vegan).

Notes

If you're gluten free, be sure to get oats that are certified gluten free.

To double this recipe, I recommend making it in batches so that the ingredients fit in a thin layer in your large skillet. You'll want everything to toast evenly.

I used a nonstick skillet because it's my largest one - you might need to alter the cooking time if you're using cast iron.

1. You have described my exact problem with granola! I cannot hold back, it is too crunchy and sweet.

I love the use of goji here. The colours are making it perfect for christmas!

ha! glad we’re not the only ones who can’t stop :)

2. Haha I do the exact same thing! I cannot resist granola at any cost! I love the addition of coconut flakes and goji berries.

3. Tieghan from halfbakedharvest.com on said:

So pretty and I love goji berries! I would eat this all too!

4. Sophie from lacreativitedelafille.blogspot.com on said:

I can so attest to this! I literally have NO self control whatsoever when it comes to granola. It’s a little frightening actually, but I guess I could have worse addictions. :)

5. Sini from myblueandwhitekitchen.com on said:

What a gorgeous granola! I’ll make it right after Christmas.

Wishing you Happy Holidays all the way from Finland to the U.S.! xx

thanks Sini!

6. i have never made it on the stove top..love the idea of stirring and watching it..I am not sure if I can resist it though.

7. This is so pretty! I think as soon as Christmas is over I need to start making granola again, I’ve been seriously slacking!

8. Barbara Duron on said:

this looks great! Do you think that cooking time would be increased or decreased if I used a cast iron pan?

I’m not exactly sure – I’m thinking it’ll be similar, but basically you just want to watch and wait for it all to toast and stir before it has the chance to burn. Keep the heat low and just watch it as you go. The oats won’t burn quickly, but once you add the nuts and coconut flakes it’s easy to tell when they’re browned. Hope you like!

9. Hey! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 4!
    Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts!
    Keep up the excellent work!

10. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is

11. Millie from addalittle.wordpress.com on said:

Looks totally delicious and perfect for breakfast or to have as a snack :)

12. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | pinmeplease

13. My problem EXACTLY. Especially if I then decide to gift it…have to make more to taste test it!
    I LOVE gojis, pistachios, and coconut so much!! They’re my fav on yogurt and ice cream so of course they belong in my granola! Perfect :)

14. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In January | Monthly Recipes

15. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In January : Eat-Best.com

16. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In January | Sudip Das's Blog

17. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In January : Grandmas Cooking

18. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In January | GossipViews.com

19. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In January | シ最愛遲到.!

20. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In January | Octo-Blog

21. Pingback: I Found the Perfect Granola Recipe | YogaBod

22. Linh from yogabod.wordpress.com on said:

Delicious! Thanks for creating this recipe. I loved it so much I had to share it on my blog so others can enjoy too! http://wp.me/p2Rdcx-64

23. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In JanuaryNostang | Nostang

24. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In January | E Top News

25. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In January | The Usual Sources – Where You Are The Source.

26. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In January - The Morning News

27. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In January |Parkkar Lifestyles and News

28. Pingback: (via pistachio goji berry granola | Love and Lemons) « We Live Social

29. As always, amazing recipe, gorgeous photos.
    I just made your miso maple sweet potato tacos for dinner this evening. Have had them bookmarked forever and finally got round to it – holy moly how delicious! And tomorrow I guess I will be making granola.
    Cannot wait.
    So thank you for yet another winner.
    X Jade

Thanks Jade! So glad you liked them!

30. Jessica on said:

I just made this substituting pistachios and gogi with pecans and cranberries as that’s what my grocery store had. It’s absolutely delicious. Thank you for the inspiration! Also any idea how I could make this granola into bars?

Hi Jessica, glad you liked it!

I’ll give it a try sometime soon and report back :). If you’re up for experimenting, you could glance at one of these recipes as a starting point (to get the right proportion of sticky stuff):

31. Karishma from themessimake.com on said:

I made the this granola last week and I literally made 3 batches of them this morning for some “thank you” gifts! I am in love!

so glad you loved it!!

32. Pingback: Recap the Week | Handcrafted Healthy

33. Started my day with this today, and YUM! I did use a cast iron skillet that I think was a bit too small. It wasn’t in a thin layer during the “toasting” process, but I just had to stir, cook slowly and watch carefully.

34. Pingback: Almond + Goji Berry Granola | eat this my friend

35. Pingback: 1月に料理する31のうまいもの | 健康一番!!ビタミンの上手な取り方とダイエット!夏まで5キロ目標に(^O^)

36. Pingback: 1月に料理する31のうまいもの | 男は美味しいご飯に弱い!最新モテ料理・肉料理! 女子は必見!

37. Pingback: crispy granola treats | Love and Lemons

38. Pingback: 1月に料理する31のうまいもの | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

39. Pingback: 1月に料理する31のうまいもの | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

40. Pingback: 1月に料理する31のうまいもの | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

41. Pingback: 31道春节月可以做的佳肴美味 – 微在 Wezeit ,社交媒体时代的新闻与娱乐信息传播者。

42. Sarah on said:

I just made this and it is perfect! My kids cannot keep their hands off this stuff!

thanks! So glad they like it!

43. Mamacita on said:

Hey, I just found this post via Pinterest. Can you please tell me about your plates. They’re just what I’m looking for.

the blue and white plate is from Canvas Home (www.canvashomestore.com)