coconut creamed spinach

coconut creamed spinach (vegan) / loveandlemons.com

I started this with the best intentions, really. I was going to make a version of Jack’s mom’s famous creamed spinach… top it with crispy shallots because they remind me of my dad and the infamous green bean casserole (his favorite thing). I was going to make just a few tweaks — but a few shiitakes and a can of coconut milk later, it became less of a “twist” and more of a left turn. Albeit, a delicious left turn.

coconut creamed spinach / loveandlemons.comcoconut creamed spinach / loveandlemons.com

I absolutely love coconut – if you don’t, this one might not be for you. The coconut is not merely a dairy replacement here, it’s flavor is front and center… sweet, rich and creamy… with a little tang from a tiny bit of lemon. I might totally suck at Thanksgiving traditions, but this is my kind of comfort food.

coconut creamed spinach / loveandlemons.com

coconut creamed spinach

Yield: serves 4 as a side

coconut creamed spinach

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 lb. spinach (or mix of baby greens)
  • 1 cup full fat coconut milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon corn starch
  • 1 shallot, chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 4 oz. shiitake mushrooms
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • salt, pepper
  • for the fried shallots:
  • 3 shallots, thinly sliced
  • 1 teaspoon corn starch
  • 1/2 cup canola oil for frying
  • salt

1. In a large skillet heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, add the spinach, a few pinches of salt, and cook until just wilted. (you may have to let some cook down before you can fit more into the pan, or add & remove it in batches - just don't overcook it). Turn of the heat, and place spinach in a colander to drain.
  2. Once it's cool to the touch, press out as much liquid as you can. And then press out some more. Don't skip this step or you will have watery creamed spinach.
  3. In a separate smaller skillet, heat your fry oil. Toss shallots together with the cornstarch until they're fully coated. Test fry a shallot, making sure your oil is at the right temp (they should become golden brown in about 30 seconds). Fry the rest in batches, drain on paper towels and sprinkle with a few pinches of salt. Set aside.
  4. Whisk coconut milk, dijon mustard, a pinch of salt, and corn starch. Set aside.
  5. Wipe out the skillet you used for the spinach and heat 1/2 tablespoon more oil. Add the chopped shallot, mushrooms, garlic, pinches of salt and pepper, and cook for a few minutes until soft. Squeeze lemon into the pan, give it a stir, and turn heat to low. Add half the coconut milk mixture and stir.
  6. Add the spinach back to the pan. Pour in the rest of the coconut milk mixture and stir just until the spinach and coconut milk are warmed through. (you want to cook the spinach as little as possible so it doesn't lose it's vibrant green color and become mushy). Remove from heat and pour into a serving platter.
  7. Top with shallots just as you're ready to serve so they stay crispy.

1. im a big coconut fan as well but everyone else around me not so much. i will have to make this when im eating alone :P

ha… I know so many people who don’t like coconut, (I don’t get it :) )

2. michelle from lovely-little-things.blogspot.com on said:

Love that there’s no dairy and it still looks delicious!

Thanks! I have a tough time with regular cream, so I always love a creamy coconut substitution!

3. Completely falling out of my chair at this. WOW.

thanks Bev!

4. I love that you modeled this sort of after the traditional green bean casserole! I am all about those crispy shallots and anything with mushrooms totally wins me over. I bet you could use almond milk instead too!!! Deeelish!

ha yep, one version I baked it casserole-style to get the crunchy things on top w/o frying, but that cooked the spinach way too much…

I did try it with almond milk (it was my original plan), but it wasn’t as good as the coconut :)

5. Pingback: afternoon snack: food links we' target='_blank're loving - Everyday Food Blog - MarthaStewart.com

6. This is not the recipe of someone who sucks at Thanksgiving! This looks delicious!

no really, I suck… starting with that whole “I don’t do turkey” thing :)

7. Justina from onedomesticgoddess.wordpress.com on said:

This looks amazing. I always love the creativity and unique style that you bring to your cooking! I also love Asian food, so some common Asian ingredients never scare me.

It looks like a great holiday side. I look forward to trying the crispy shallots.

thanks! I just love asian ingredients, glad you do too!

8. Tieghan from halfbakedharvest.com on said:

I love coconut. It is one of my favorite flavors to play with. Savory or sweet! This creamy spinach looks so good!

thanks Tieghan, me too! I could eat coconut all day…

9. Pingback: Thanksgiving Series, Part 2: Curated and Delicious – The Roaming Kitchen

10. I think this dish would make a fabulous side for Thanksgiving! Yum! Thanks so much for sharing. I love you blog!

11. Pingback: Estuaire |

12. Pingback: 100 Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes

13. Pingback: Currently craving...Thanksgiving recipes! | LA Cooquette

14. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is

15. Abigail on said:

This looks amazing — and perfect for my multiple-dietary-restriction Thanksgiving crowd!

Any reason why I shouldn’t make this (up to the fried shallots) the day before?

thanks! Personally, I would fry the onions ahead of time (store them separately) and only cook the shallot and the mushrooms the day before… then reheat the cooked mushrooms in the pan and cook the spinach with the remaining coconut milk at the last minute. The spinach cooks so quickly and it’ll be more vibrant if it isn’t cooked and then reheated later.

16. tom from littleislandkitchen.com on said:

looks like a really interesting taste combination. can’t wait to try this. a perfect little spin on classic greens.

17. Millie from addalittle.wordpress.co, on said:

Wow. Spinach will never be the same again! This looks amazing!

18. Pingback: A Vegetarian Thanksgiving | Forbidden Rice Blog

19. Merle on said:

you just made a traditional dish from the island of Guam…

Gollai hågon suni? (I just googled it). Next time I’ll try it w/ turmeric, thx!

20. Dominick on said:

i have to put together something/anything as a project for my cooking class and i chose this recipe and im extremely excited to try it!

21. Rachel on said:

This looks amazing. I have a bunch of collard greens I need to use up. Do you think they could be used in substitution of the spinach?

you’d need to cook them longer, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t?

22. Lisa on said:

Although I quickly realized I didn’t have enough spinach for a full batch (I was thinking 1 bunch instead of pound!), I adjusted everything to have a mini- batch for lunch today. Love how the lemon really comes through in the mushrooms and how this all comes together without too much cook time.

Will have to run to the store to grab more spinach later… Thanks for such a great flavor combo!

23. allison on said:

Holy moly, this was delicious! I made it with collard greens, which I roasted for 30 minutes instead of blanching or steaming. They were amazing with the coconut milk and mushrooms. I put it on top of some left over quinoa and tofu. Thank you for this one!

sounds delicious, glad you liked it!

24. Elizabeth on said:

I just made this tonight and it was delicious. I added some red pepper flakes, because I just can’t resist a little heat, but otherwise did it exactly as written and it was perfect. Thanks!

25. Debra Askanase from communityorganizer20.com on said:

Made this and loved it. I used a combination of baby spinach and red chard. It is important to cook the spinach and chard separately in this case. A very rich meal, perfectly accompanied by short-grain brown rice.

so glad you liked it! Smart thinking to cook them separately!

26. Pingback: Prosciutto, Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Puff Pastry Tartelettes | URBAN-creampieURBAN-creampie

27. Pingback: Daily Things | Lotsa Links | flora foodie

28. Pingback: Adaptations: Ginger Tamarind Brussel Sprouts & Coconut Creamed Spinach | Kate Schwabacher, Yoga and Ayurveda

29. Pingback: Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes | Recipe Genius