matcha vanilla smoothies

matcha vanilla smoothies // loveandlemons.com matcha vanilla smoothies // loveandlemons.com

Matcha treats – I can hardly remember my life without them. Since we’ve been in Japan, matcha ice cream, matcha doughnuts, and matcha cakes have become daily afternoon snacks. This smoothie, I promise, is a much healthier treat than any of those. Sure matcha is healthy, but a doughnut is still a doughnut after all.

At home, this is how we enjoy matcha. I use my go-to smoothie base – almond milk and bananas – and add matcha powder along with a bit of vanilla bean.

matcha vanilla smoothies // loveandlemons.com

If you’re new to matcha – it’s very finely ground, high quality, green tea powder. It’s sweeter than steeped green tea and is super healthy because all of those amazing green tea antioxidants are more concentrated. Give it a try, you’ll be hooked.

matcha vanilla smoothies

Serves: 3 small smoothies, as pictured (or 2 larger ones)
  • 2 bananas, frozen
  • 1 cup original Almond Breeze Almond Milk
  • matcha powder - a few teaspoons to a few tablespoons depending on your matcha and your taste. I used a few tablespoons of this kind
  • vanilla bean - a tiny scrape from about 1-inch of the pod
  • a few handfuls of ice
  • honey, agave, or sweetener of choice (optional)
  1. Blend everything together. Taste & adjust to your liking. Add some sweetener if you wish.
Notes
The vanilla bean pod isn't completely necessary, it was just a nice addition. If you don't have one handy, just omit it rather than substitute with vanilla extract.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 2-3

A note about matcha – you should be able to find it at your organic grocery store (Whole Foods or similar). If not, check an asian market in your area or order it online. The cost of matcha will vary depending on the quality – more expensive matcha is more mellow, less expensive matcha has more bitterness. Some may have sugar added (the best kinds won’t). If you want to get crazy about it, search online for any type made in Uji, it’s the area of Japan where the best matcha is produced.

almondbreeze

If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #loveandlemons on Instagram.

1. I am in love with matcha, and matcha and vanilla especially – these smoothies sound fantastic.

2. mmm…. my favorite tea house serves these, though they are usually not vegan. the last time I was there they ran out of milk and ask if I would “mind” if they used almond milk… mind? are you crazy? gimme!!!!

ha! I love it with the almond milk too (plus I just can’t do regular milk) :)

3. Loving this flavour! I like how you used frozen bananas instead of ice, creamy texture with out the cream!
    Green tea is my most requested creamy drink flavour and now I can make it home, Thanks for the recipe!

I used some ice too :). But the frozen banana really helps it become creamy!

yum, looks delicious!

4. I love matcha. These smoothies are right up my alley. I know what I’m making tomorrow morning!

5. Quyen from liveitinerantly.com on said:

I will have to try this. I’m not usually a fan of matcha green tea, although I like the ice cream, so I think this cold drink will be great.

6. I enjoy matcha this way and every other way possible – have you tried avocado as a base, I sometimes like it that way too :)

Hi Dixya, I haven’t but that sounds amazing!

7. Gaby from whatsgabycooking.com on said:

I love smoothies for busy days and this looks completely delicious!

8. This sounds delicious!
    I love matcha, but haven’t had it in a really long time. I may have to look for some online. :)

9. Jenny on said:

Yum! I just made this. I use an unsweetened matcha from Whole Foods for my morning matcha lattes, and it’s much stronger than the stuff that’s made for lattes (this stuff is supposed to be had just with water, but I’m not a purist). If anyone is using matcha like that, you’ll probably only need a couple teaspoons!

10. michelle from lovely-little-things.blogspot.com on said:

I love matcha!

11. Pingback: Fascinating Friday Links #4 | Daily Moves and Grooves

12. Pingback: [Recipes for Later] | Drunk Catalog

13. Pingback: Matcha Vanilla Smoothies | Link4Food

14. Pingback: Peach Oat Smoothie | Link4Food

15. Pingback: Matcha | MOUND CITY CHIROPRACTIC

16. Pingback: Monday Madness

17. Pingback: 23 On-The-Go Breakfasts That Are Actually Good For You | My Home Manager

18. Mina on said:

What do you recommend using as a substitute for almond milk? Most dairy free milks have carrageenan as an ingredient. I’m lactose intolerant.

19. Pingback: Up & Coming Food Trends 2015 - C it Nutritionally

20. Pingback: Have you joined the matcha tea craze yet? - The Fuss The Fuss

21. Pingback: Squirrelly Minds » Eat | Top 10 Smoothies

22. Pingback: Amazing Web Shares » 23 On-The-Go Breakfasts That Are Actually Good For You

23. Pingback: The List: January | The Unpainted

24. Mary-Jo from mercuriosjewelry.com on said:

Tried this today. Substituted coconut milk for almond milk as that’s what I had on hand (snowed in at the moment thanks to Juno) & it was great! Didn’t add sweetener of any kind either. Thanks for sharing!

25. Pingback: Banana Almond Matcha Smoothie - Recipe Runner

26. Pingback: 7 Kreasi Makanan Dan Minuman Green Tea Yang Membuatmu Makin Jatuh Cinta Sama Bubuk Hijau Ini

27. Pingback: 7 Kreasi Makanan dan Minuman Green Tea yang Membuatmu Makin Jatuh Cinta Sama Bubuk Hijau Ini - Avatar IT

28. Pingback: Like, Love, OBSESSED | chaseandcharles

29. Kristi on said:

Rgis sounds delicious, although I don’t like bananas :( does it taste strongly of banana? Is there a substitute you reccomend? Also, what about vanilla almond milk?

Sometimes I sub mango for banana, or sometimes almonds or cashews… (you’ll have to play around with the ratio).

30. Pingback: Definitively, Is Matcha Good For You? | The Relevance Report

31. Pingback: 7 Kreasi Makanan dan Minuman Green Tea yang Membuatmu Makin Jatuh Cinta Sama Bubuk Hijau Ini | HELLO HASHTAGER

32. alli from averyberrykitchen.blogspot.com on said:

I am in love with you guys loving matcha! Growing up with the lovely powder made my heart leap when I saw this smoothie recipe because all I’ve ever known was the tea and ice cream version. Plus this is super healthy.
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Much love, Alli

33. Julia on said:

This sounds like a great idea! Do you think this would keep overnight so that I could make this as my breakfast the night before? Or even two nights so that I could make two breakfasts at once? Thanks for the recipe!