matcha vanilla smoothies

matcha vanilla smoothies // loveandlemons.com matcha vanilla smoothies // loveandlemons.com

Matcha treats – I can hardly remember my life without them. Since we’ve been in Japan, matcha ice cream, matcha doughnuts, and matcha cakes have become daily afternoon snacks. This smoothie, I promise, is a much healthier treat than any of those. Sure matcha is healthy, but a doughnut is still a doughnut after all.

At home, this is how we enjoy matcha. I use my go-to smoothie base – almond milk and bananas – and add matcha powder along with a bit of vanilla bean.

matcha vanilla smoothies // loveandlemons.com

If you’re new to matcha – it’s very finely ground, high quality, green tea powder. It’s sweeter than steeped green tea and is super healthy because all of those amazing green tea antioxidants are more concentrated. Give it a try, you’ll be hooked.

matcha vanilla smoothies

Yield: 3 small smoothies, as pictured (or 2 larger ones)

Serving Size: 2-3

matcha vanilla smoothies

• 2 bananas, frozen
  • 1 cup original Almond Breeze Almond Milk
  • matcha powder - a few teaspoons to a few tablespoons depending on your matcha and your taste. I used a few tablespoons of this kind
  • vanilla bean - a tiny scrape from about 1-inch of the pod
  • a few handfuls of ice
  • honey, agave, or sweetener of choice (optional)

1. Blend everything together. Taste & adjust to your liking. Add some sweetener if you wish.

Notes

The vanilla bean pod isn't completely necessary, it was just a nice addition. If you don't have one handy, just omit it rather than substitute with vanilla extract.

A note about matcha – you should be able to find it at your organic grocery store (Whole Foods or similar). If not, check an asian market in your area or order it online. The cost of matcha will vary depending on the quality – more expensive matcha is more mellow, less expensive matcha has more bitterness. Some may have sugar added (the best kinds won’t). If you want to get crazy about it, search online for any type made in Uji, it’s the area of Japan where the best matcha is produced.

almondbreeze

1. I am in love with matcha, and matcha and vanilla especially – these smoothies sound fantastic.

2. mmm…. my favorite tea house serves these, though they are usually not vegan. the last time I was there they ran out of milk and ask if I would “mind” if they used almond milk… mind? are you crazy? gimme!!!!

ha! I love it with the almond milk too (plus I just can’t do regular milk) :)

3. Loving this flavour! I like how you used frozen bananas instead of ice, creamy texture with out the cream!
    Green tea is my most requested creamy drink flavour and now I can make it home, Thanks for the recipe!

I used some ice too :). But the frozen banana really helps it become creamy!

4. Emma from coconutandberries.com on said:

I love matcha! Love the look of this smoothie. I made no-churn matcha ice cream recently using bananas and cashews which was awesome http://coconutandberries.com/2013/08/24/raw-vegan-green-tea-ice-cream/

yum, looks delicious!

5. I love matcha. These smoothies are right up my alley. I know what I’m making tomorrow morning!

6. Quyen from liveitinerantly.com on said:

I will have to try this. I’m not usually a fan of matcha green tea, although I like the ice cream, so I think this cold drink will be great.

7. I enjoy matcha this way and every other way possible – have you tried avocado as a base, I sometimes like it that way too :)

Hi Dixya, I haven’t but that sounds amazing!

8. Gaby from whatsgabycooking.com on said:

I love smoothies for busy days and this looks completely delicious!

9. This sounds delicious!
    I love matcha, but haven’t had it in a really long time. I may have to look for some online. :)

10. Jenny on said:

Yum! I just made this. I use an unsweetened matcha from Whole Foods for my morning matcha lattes, and it’s much stronger than the stuff that’s made for lattes (this stuff is supposed to be had just with water, but I’m not a purist). If anyone is using matcha like that, you’ll probably only need a couple teaspoons!

11. michelle from lovely-little-things.blogspot.com on said:

I love matcha!

12. Pingback: Fascinating Friday Links #4 | Daily Moves and Grooves

13. Taro on said:

In your next visit to Japan, try this “Tokusen Tsujiri Parfait”.
    It’s a assort of various forms of Powdered-Green-Tea-Sweet.
    A few branch in Kyoto and one in Tokyo.

14. Pingback: [Recipes for Later] | Drunk Catalog