Admittedly, I’m not the best at baby showers. I forget that the point of a baby shower is the gift-showering part, and I usually show up with an amazon print-out of what I purchased off the registry that morning. (really, I mean well). So this is my kind of baby shower… the virtual kind where I make and eat waffles and snap a photo. No pink bows required.
Melissa (of The Faux Martha) is a dear friend I’ve met through the blogosphere. Her beautiful blog is filled with delectable sweet treats and her waffle recipe is one of her signatures. When I met her in person last January, I remember she kept talking about how much she craved waffles. I hadn’t met anyone who was so passionate about waffles… but hey, as a fellow food blogger, I understand these fixations. Of course, it made complete sense when a week later she announced she was pregnant!
This is a spin on Melissa’s waffle recipe, using ingredients I had on hand… which of course isn’t normal ingredients like wheat flour and butter, but instead – coconut oil, spelt flour, millet flour and flax seed. They’re super delicious – a little crispy on the outside, but still soft in the middle. And I love mine with berries and doused with good maple syrup.
Happy baby shower day Melissa! xoxo
- 1/2 cup whole spelt flour (gluten free: sub 1/4 cup each of brown rice & sweet rice flour)
- 1/4 cup millet flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cups almond milk
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- serve with: seasonal fruit, butter, and more maple syrup
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (except for the flax). Whisk together the wet ingredients and the flax.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together and cook the batter according to your waffle maker's timing, or until golden brown and crisp on the outside.
- note - I put my waffle maker on high and let them cook a bit longer than the initial "ready beep."
recipe adapted from The Faux Martha
Check out these other bloggers who are all making waffles for Melissa today!
Whole Wheat Chive Waffle with Poached Egg from A Couple Cooks
Almond Chia Seed Waffles from Eat this Poem
Banana Nut Waffles from Cookie and Kate
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Waffles from This Homemade Life
Yeasted Waffles with Berries and Cocoa Sugar from Turntable Kitchen
Vanilla Vegan/Gluten Free Waffle Ice Cream Sammies from The First Mess
Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich from Foodie Crush
Waffles with fig compote and orange honey crème fraîche from The Vanilla Bean Blog
Spelt Waffles with Cinnamon Peaches from Naturally Ella