spicy watermelon & avocado salad

spicy watermelon & avocado salad / loveandlemons.com spicy watermelon & avocado salad / loveandlemons.com

I ordered a watermelon salad at a restaurant a few weeks ago… in my mind I thought it would taste similar to this. It didn’t and I was disappointed. Does that ever happen to you? I mean, $16 for a plate of nearly-plain cubed watermelon, come on…

But the watermelon gods were looking down on me that weekend, because the next day at the farmers market were these sweet little sugar babies. I love these, first of all, because they’re easy to cut. I can count on zero hands how many large watermelons I’ve tackled this summer. They’re also sweeter than most watermelon – and just perfect for the salty, tangy, creamy & spicy ingredients I put with it.

spicy watermelon & avocado salad

spicy watermelon & avocado salad

• watermelon
  • lime
  • thinly sliced red onion
  • cotija or feta cheese (omit if vegan or raw)
  • avocado cubes
  • mint and/or basil
  • sprouts or small salad greens
  • dressing
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2 jalapeno, sliced
  • optional - 1 clove of garlic, smashed (remove it before using)
  • salt & pepper

1. Whisk together the dressing, set aside.
  2. Cube your watermelon, add a few good pinches of salt & a squeeze of lime.
  3. Assemble the salad and drizzle on as much dressing as you like. (remember to remove that garlic piece). Store extra dressing at room temp for a day or so.

1. Rachel from popandsizzle.com on said:

Your photos are always so incredible. I’m definitely making this ASAP, before summer is officially over!

• Jeanine from loveandlemons.com on said:

thanks! I know, it’s hard to believe summer is almost over (and this is my first watermelon recipe!)

• Jeanine from loveandlemons.com on said:

thanks Katrina!

• Jeanine from loveandlemons.com on said:

glad I’m not the only one :)

2. Ugh, I hate that! All that money for a disappointing salad. This salad is so pretty. I would hate to touch it or eat it and destroy how perfect it looks!

• Jeanine from loveandlemons.com on said:

oh but it’s so fun to make it pretty and then mess it all up :)

3. This seriously looks perfect in every way. I haven’t made a watermelon salad yet this summer – I need to make this before the season is over! Better late than never!

• Jeanine from loveandlemons.com on said:

ha, yep that’s what I was thinking… should have thought of this in, say, July, but oh well :)

4. The southeast asian in me loves sweet and spicy – esp. when you throw in some fruit. Thanks for this.

• Jeanine from loveandlemons.com on said:

thanks! I just love the balance of sweet & spicy foods :)

5. Kathryne from cookieandkate.com on said:

Man, there’s nothing more disappointing than a bad restaurant salad. I take that back—I ordered a grilled cheese at a bistro that I really like the other day, hoping to receive a decadent, lightly charred, cheesy affair, and it was a total disappointment. How can they get a grilled cheese wrong, but a curried carrot soup so right?! Doesn’t make sense. Anyway, this salad looks perfect. Glad you got your watermelon fix.

• Jeanine from loveandlemons.com on said:

Ha, I feel like more places get grilled cheese wrong than right… although yum, about the curried carrot soup, I could totally go for that right now!

6. Tieghan from halfbakedharvest.com on said:

I love the spicy in this!! So my thing and my gosh, this is so pretty. I love it and need to make is this weekend!

7. Winnie from healthygreenkitchen.com on said:

This looks wonderful! I want to make it this weekend, too ;)

8. Hi
    I love your blogue. So pretty photos… you use love in it.
    I love everything…
    (and I adore your kitchen too :-)
    Kisses
    Cláudia

9. This looks beautiful, and so delicious! I love simple dishes like this one for the summer. I’ve flagged it as a must-try–I just bought a gorgeous little watermelon and this is what I’m going to make with it, thank you for sharing! :)

10. Lys from livinlyssa.wordpress.com on said:

It’s like you always know what’s waiting to be used in my kitchen! Just picked up a watermelon yesterday!

11. Lindsey from dollyandoatmeal.com on said:

I love that these watermelons have black seeds! Even when I buy organic at my local farm market, I have a hard time finding the black seeds I grew up loving to spit out! In any event, lovely salad! I’m glad you got to enjoy this one, and for probably half the price.

12. Sara Gray from saralovesportland.com on said:

I love the idea of the watermelon and spiciness — so summery. This is going on the list for sure. Thanks, as always, for the inspiration!

13. Pingback: Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is

14. dawn on said:

this salad appears to be perfect conceptually… Its beautiful and completely balnced with flavors… Acid + Fat + Spice + Sweet = Delicious… Thank you so much… avocado and watermelon never occurred to me before.. but you set it forth in a recipe where i cannot see a reason why not

15. Pingback: Friday Food Foto - Han Il Kwan Kimchee - Misadventures with Andi

16. Pingback: Emptying my Pocket, Vol. 5 | every moment's a little bit later.

17. Kate from omyheartkate.com on said:

I have made this twice in the last two days and I am completely obsessed! Everything goes together so perfectly! I put mine on a bigger bed of mixed greens but otherwise followed exactly and it’s SO good – officially my salad of the summer! Thanks for sharing!

18. Pingback: Get Fresh: June Salad Ideas | Lunch with the Ladies

19. Pingback: Friday Foodie: Amazing recipes to cook while camping by Love and Lemons |

20. Pingback: summer recipes & some link love | Love and Lemons

21. Pingback: Frutas de verano | Cortar Pegar y Cantar

22. Pingback: Watermelon: fresh and easy recipes | The Golden Limoncello

23. Pingback: feta & harissa fattoush salad | Love and Lemons

24. Pingback: Every 4th of July Cookout Recipe You'll Ever Need - What Dress Code?

25. Pingback: Summer recipe

26. Pingback: The Ultimate Summer Melon~ National Watermelon Day | Chasing My Halo