I ordered a watermelon salad at a restaurant a few weeks ago… in my mind I thought it would taste similar to this. It didn’t and I was disappointed. Does that ever happen to you? I mean, $16 for a plate of nearly-plain cubed watermelon, come on…
But the watermelon gods were looking down on me that weekend, because the next day at the farmers market were these sweet little sugar babies. I love these, first of all, because they’re easy to cut. I can count on zero hands how many large watermelons I’ve tackled this summer. They’re also sweeter than most watermelon – and just perfect for the salty, tangy, creamy & spicy ingredients I put with it.
- thinly sliced red onion
- cotija or feta cheese (omit if vegan or raw)
- avocado cubes
- mint and/or basil
- sprouts or small salad greens
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 jalapeno, sliced
- optional - 1 clove of garlic, smashed (remove it before using)
- salt & pepper
- Whisk together the dressing, set aside.
- Cube your watermelon, add a few good pinches of salt & a squeeze of lime.
- Assemble the salad and drizzle on as much dressing as you like. (remember to remove that garlic piece). Store extra dressing at room temp for a day or so.