tomato, feta & honey toasts

heirloom tomato toasts with feta & honey / loveandlemons.com

Turns out, simple is best when it comes to tomatoes! (Thank you for all of your comments the other day,¬†we’ll announce a winner soon!). Meanwhile, I wanted to share this one last little tomato combo that I’ve been obsessed with. It’s simple but genius, although I can’t completely take credit for it. It was straight off the little info sheet Whole Foods sent me with suggested uses for the various heirloom tomatoes. One of them said “pair with briny cheeses like feta or a drizzle of honey.” So I did both together. Try it, it’s amazing… Especially with a good flavorful honey (I like this one) and a few basil leaves.

On another note, I’m so excited – in the next few weeks we are heading to Japan, by way of Seattle… let me know if you have suggestions for where to eat in Seattle (I’ve never been!)… or any suggestions on where to stay in Tokyo…

tomato toasts with feta & honey

tomato toasts with feta & honey

• crusty bread, such as ciabatta
  • olive oil
  • heirloom tomato slices
  • good feta, the fresh kind that comes in brine
  • good flavorful honey
  • salt & pepper
  • fresh basil

1. Toast or grill your bread, and drizzle with olive oil and a bit of salt.
  2. Top with sliced tomatoes, salt & pepper, feta, honey, basil, and another drizzle of olive oil.

Notes

Pictured are a few different tomato varieties, although the deep flavor of the Cherokee Purple works especially well here.

1. Valerie from sundaesbest.blogspot.co.uk on said:

This looks exactly like what I need right now. I must try these very soon! x

2. Oh man! I have a friend living in Seattle and I cannot wait until I can go visit her. I feel like any person that is into food will love that city. Then on to Tokyo!!! So cool! So jealous, have fun. I love feta and honey. I also love ricotta/a creamy chevre and honey. Mmmm! Sometimes the simplest things are the best!

3. Sara Gray from saralovesportland.com on said:

Love this! I’ve been a longtime follower of yours and I love the simplicity of your recipes. Thanks for the inspiration!

thanks Sara!

4. Jo on said:

Local 360 in Seattle!

5. Ondina Maria from coentrosrabanetes.blogspot.com on said:

Seems absolutely perfecto to me. I love tomatos with feta and basil, well seasoned. Why not drizzle with good rosemary honey? I’m trying this for tomorrow’ lunch :)

rosemary honey sounds so delicious!

6. Tieghan from halfbakedharvest.com on said:

In love with these toast! The feta and tomatoes look incredible. So pretty!

7. Pingback: Things I am Going Crazy For This Week! - Half Baked Harvest

8. Rachel from Ataleoftwomamas.wordpress.com on said:

Gah, salivating over this, even after shoving my face with breakfast tacos post run. BTW, never knew someone could love lemons as much as I do. New to Austin and found you, consider me hooked. I have never been to Seattle but when I want to live vicariously through someone who does, I check out this sight and the restaurants they visit http://www.dailygarnish.com/seattle. All fantastic veggie/vegan friendly places. I think Revel is the one not to miss. Jealous.

thanks & welcome to Austin! I see you’re settling in nicely, breakfast tacos and all :)

9. This looks so delicious! How simple it is, which is honestly the best type of food sometimes!

Cheers!
    Akshara
    Simply Akshara

10. fingeth on said:

this combo sounds amazing!

i live in seattle and can recommend the following: spinasse, revel, mamnoon, cantinetta, walrus and the carpenter, le pichet, little uncle and madison park conservatory….so many fantastic places…have fun!

thank you!!

11. oh I get so excited when I see a recipe I love and realize I have all the ingredients to make it ! I’m going to make these tomorrow!

Such a delicious combination, I love the idea of the sweetness of the honey and the saltiness of the feta alongside those gorgeous tomatoes. Beauty!

13. petal and plume from petalandplume.blogspot.ca on said:

these look excellent! thanks for sharing!
    xx

14. Stephanie from theladyolive.com on said:

I will be making these at my next dinner party! Looks amazing.

15. All the great honey variations out there now – what to choose, what to choose. Raw honey has wonderful health benefits and if you need that taste of sweet, a great choice!

16. Pingback: afternoon snack - Everyday Food Blog - MarthaStewart.com

17. I love the concept of “toasts” of all sorts. The crispy bread on the bottom goes so well with a whole endless list of toppings! This reminds me of growing up, my mom and I would always eat toast with a big, juicy slice of tomato on top. It was nowhere near as gourmet and beautiful as this, but this is a great inspiration to make a more refined, sophisticated interpretation of a childhood favorite!

Love your blog, by the way! I just discovered it and I am so happy that I did :)

18. Lauren Bradley from lauriebellsbakery.wordpress.com on said:

I LOVE this recipe and the photography is beautiful. I hope you don’t mind but I’ll be including it in my recipe round-up post today. Stop by and check it out later today. Lots of Love, LB

19. Pingback: Recipe Round-up: Tomatoes | Lauriebell's Bakery & Cafe

20. amanda on said:

it looks like the tomatoes are toasted in the pic- are they?

21. Lacey on said:

Looks delish. My favorite restaurant in Seattle is “Smith”… I would highly recommend giving it a try :)

22. Pingback: Perjantai-illan huumaa: tomaatti-feta minitoastit » 52 Weeks of Deliciousness

23. Pingback: Labor Day Luxuries - Caramelized Blog

24. Pingback: The Ultimate Thanksgiving Menu Guide - The Sweetest Occasion — The Sweetest Occasion