stuffed peppers w/ chipotle “cream”

Quinoa stuffed peppers w/ Chipotle cashew creamQuinoa stuffed peppers w/ Chipotle cashew creamQuinoa stuffed peppers w/ Chipotle cashew cream

Hands down, our most popular post has been this enchilada recipe with creamy cashew poblano sauce. I posted it over a year ago and I’m still receiving emails about it. So today I’m really excited to share this new twist: cashew cream meets chipotles. A happy marriage, especially if you like spicy food.

You could top it on just about anything. At the risk of posting too many taco recipes, we did stuffed peppers this time. I roasted mild poblanos and these cute little anaheims… stuffed them with a smoky quinoa & black bean filling and topped them with dollops of the chipotle cream. Healthy summer comfort food. (Of course, the next night we at the leftover sauce on tacos).

stuffed peppers w/ chipotle “cream”

Yield: serves 4

stuffed peppers w/ chipotle “cream”

• peppers (I used 2 poblanos, and 3 small anaheims)
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 shallot or small onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • 1-2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
  • 1-2 tablespoons adobo sauce, (from the can of chipotles used below)
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1/2 cup corn kernels
  • 1/2 cup black beans
  • 1 teaspoon (eyeball it), agave syrup or honey
  • 1/4 cup chopped scallions
  • juice of 1 juicy lime
  • Chipotle Cashew Cream:
  • 1 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked for at least a few hours
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 chipotle pepper from a can of chipotles in adobo (2 if you want it extra spicy)
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 cup water (more as needed)
  • salt, pepper

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Slice peppers in half, remove the seeds and ribbing. Place cut side up on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast the peppers in the oven for about 20 minutes or until they become tender and lightly blackened.
  2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the shallots and cook until soft and translucent. Add the garlic, cumin and coriander and cook for just a few seconds until fragrant. Add the tamari, a squeeze of lime, and stir.
  3. Add in the quinoa, corn, black beans, agave syrup and stir to incorporate. Let that heat through for a few minutes stirring only occasionally. Remove from heat, stir in the scallions. Taste and adjust seasonings. (I erred on the side of over-seasoning because it balances out when it's all together with the peppers)
  4. For the Chipotle Cashew Cream: Blend everything together in a high speed blender (preferably a vitamix or blendtec). Taste and adjust seasoning. Add more water or olive oil to thin to your desired consistency.
  5. Stuff filling into the roasted pepper halves and top with chipotle cream.

1. James from dayoldnews.com on said:

The enchiladas compete for my favorite recipe from you ever with Winter Kale Salad and Peanut Soba Noodles. This may be another contender…any reason to make spicy cream is good by me!

so good to know what your favorites are! I have a whole bunch of peanut saucy things I haven’t posted here, I should get on that :)

2. I adore this recipe. Not only because you have not gone down the taco route ( I always run out of wraps) but you have used that cashew cream. for those of us that can not handle sour cream, This is a god sent. I can not wait to try a twist with your Shishito peppers in the cashew cream next time.

yep, that’s me, I can’t really do sour cream. I just LOVE cashew cream. :)

3. I ate tacos yesterday and I totally wish I would have seen this then. Next taco night is so a cashew chipotle cream topping night!

4. Love the way you styled the food and the props. Looks too pretty to eat….almost!

thanks! that’s just my goal… pretty but not so much that you don’t want to dive in and mess it all up :)

5. Annie from anniereeves.com on said:

Your pictures are beautiful! Any tips?

thanks… about 100 tips that we’ve learned along the way since the beginning! Not sure where exactly to start, but we’ll do a post about photography, one day :)

6. Tieghan from halfbakedharvest.com on said:

I love cashews cream!! These look amazing and chipotle too?!? My favorite!! These are awesome!

7. Loving these delicious vegan recipes… will have to try this ASAP! Just put cashews in the fridge to soak :)

I know, I’m not very good at remembering in advance. Thankfully the vitamix pulverizes everything so I don’t always soak them very long :)

Oh, but I’ve also gotten away with blanching them – hot water for 30 seconds, then chill in ice water. Pretty much accomplishes what half a day of soaking does.

8. maria s from happybelly.org.uk on said:

this looks delicious! Especially the cashew cream, love that you put chipotle in it!

it’s a really awesome combo!

thanks, I thought the little peppers were just so adorable :)

9. Yelle from tender-roots.com on said:

oh my, not only do these sounds delicious and mouth watering, but they are so colorful and pretty on a plate!

10. It’s never not time for tacos. I love creamy chipotle sauce too. Yum!

agreed, anytime is taco time :)

thanks Marie!

11. Gene Cox from texas-food-handler.com on said:

This looks so awesome, I printed the pictures out and am going to try to imitate them. They combine the best of culinary eye appeal to obvious taste. I can’t wait.

aw, this is my favorite comment ever :)

12. Pingback: Weekend love list ¶ Suppers From Scratch

13. Laurie on said:

Another great gluten free meal! Your blog has kept me from being down about food since being diagnosed with celiac. I love all of the options to eat gluten free the right way!!

thanks Laurie, I can’t imagine how hard it must be to have celiac – glad you’ve been able to find some gluten free inspiration!

14. Lenora from oltomax.pl on said:

Hi there, I want to subscribe for this website to obtain newest updates,
    therefore where can i do it please help.

15. Andy on said:

Looks great. The sauce has 1/2 CUP of water correct? Just checking as I’d like to try this one really soon. Thanks!

yep – thanks for catching that!

16. Tania Smith on said:

You have the most healthful and fantastic recipes; we all love you for sharing your blog with us!! I had one quick question with this recipe, when do we add in the adobo sauce (listed as a stuffing ingredient)? I’m making this tonight so thought I would check with you on that one!

Thanks, Jeanine!

Hi Tania,

Oops! You can add it in the step where you add the quinoa!